Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Is there a perceptible difference between PC5300 and PC6400 RAM?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Hansen

Hansen

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,344 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 08:10 AM

Is there a perceptible difference in speed between PC5300 (667) and PC6400 (800) RAM? I'm running a HP MediaSmart Server (running Windows Home Server) and upgrading the RAM to 2 GB. It appears it can use either PC5300 (667) or PC6400 (800). I have a stick of 2GB PC5300 (667) with a CAS of 4 and a 2GB stick of PC6400 (800) with a CAS of 6. The stick of PC5300 is already in there and I'm trying to figure out whether it's worth it take it all apart again to put in the PC6400. Will I notice a real world difference? Thanks

#2 OFFLINE   mmccaugh

mmccaugh

AllStar

• Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 10:58 AM

Like anything else it really depends on your systems load, if it is only processing sporradically then no you probably will not notice any difference, if it goes long spurts where it is processing a lot of data, then yes it is worth it.

The way I suggest thinking of it is driving a car, is it worth it to go an extra 5 MPH?

If you are driving down the road to walmart probably not, because it's saving you maybe 10 seconds worth of driving? at the risk of having an accident.

If you are driving 600 miles however that extra 5MPH cuts almost an hour off your trip.

#3 OFFLINE   rudeney

rudeney

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,266 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 11:08 AM

If you are really using this computer as a server, it is very unlikely that you'd notice a difference at all. RAM speed is most noticeable when transferring huge amounts if data across the bus, and that usually only happens when gaming or photo/video editing (i.e. getting images in the computer's RAM to the video card for display). Servers are usually not very RAM intensive unless you are running something like a database server with a large number of simultaneous users.

#4 OFFLINE   sideswipe

sideswipe

Legend

• Registered
  • 208 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 11:26 AM

most (if not all) motherboards now do dual-channel, which means using 2 (of the same) sticks is faster than 1, 3 slower than 2 or 4 if they arent the same then you will accually notice a difference in most if not all preformance, with dual-channel they have to be identical ie. pc-6400 with lat of 4 (or whatever) same applies with new x58 ddr3 motherboards (yes not in this thread but if any 1 is reading this may be considering it) they run triple-channel, needs 3 identical sticks so ex. 3x1gb sticks faster than 4x1gb sticks

#5 OFFLINE   Hansen

Hansen

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,344 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 01:21 PM

Given that the PC5300 RAM has a CAS latency of 4 and the PC6400 has a CAS latency of 6, wouldn't the PC5300 actually be slightly faster?

The mother board for this small server only has one channel, thus limited to one stick. Trying to determine which stick will give better performance and then return the other stick.

Edited by Hansen, 16 January 2009 - 01:40 PM.

spam firewall