Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Dish Network & Cable Internet (Time Warner)

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   mcovert

mcovert

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 09:52 AM

Like many others, I've had it with Time Warner and am about to switch to Satellite TV (Dish Network). However, I need to keep the high-speed internet provided by Time Warner.

Will I be able to keep one outlet connected to Time Warner for the cable modem and have the satellite feed for the rest of the house? I'll only have one HD/DVR receiver. Would I have "2 sets" of wiring in the house or can the Dish installers help me keep both.

As best I can tell, I have multiple cable lines that come together at a small box attached to the side of my house.

I've tried reading this forum on the topic but most of the posts seem more technical than I can understand. The Dish Network Customer Service reps didn't seem very confident in their answers to my questions.

Any insights would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,739 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 16 January 2009 - 10:16 AM

This question HAS been asked here before - so obviously your search skills need some help.

Nevertheless -

Yes you can use DBS and cable internet.

HOWEVER - Be sure you tell your DBS installer to plan on running all new cables and to leave the cables going to the cable modem alone - do not reuse . If you have a cable modem problem, and the DBS installer did try to multi-purpose that cable - the cable tech will stop and point that out and say "That is your problem".
You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

#3 OFFLINE   snowcat

snowcat

Legend

• Registered
  • 236 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 10:20 AM

The short answer is "yes".

I probably have the easiest setup. I have three lines going into my house for Dish, and I had a 4th line installed just for my cable modem (my computer room needed a cable outlet, so I paid for an extra install).

If one of the cables outside your house runs directly to the cable modem, then you are set. Just keep that one connected to your Time Warner cable, and use the others for Dish.

If there are splitters involved inside your house, then it gets more complicated. The main thing is to tell the installers what you want to keep from Time Warner and what lines they can use for Dish. If not, the installers may mess them all up.

#4 OFFLINE   boba

boba

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,580 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 12:17 PM

Like many others, I've had it with Time Warner and am about to switch to Satellite TV (Dish Network). However, I need to keep the high-speed internet provided by Time Warner.

Will I be able to keep one outlet connected to Time Warner for the cable modem and have the satellite feed for the rest of the house? I'll only have one HD/DVR receiver. Would I have "2 sets" of wiring in the house or can the Dish installers help me keep both.

As best I can tell, I have multiple cable lines that come together at a small box attached to the side of my house.

I've tried reading this forum on the topic but most of the posts seem more technical than I can understand. The Dish Network Customer Service reps didn't seem very confident in their answers to my questions.

Any insights would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Yes you can keep one line dedicated to internet. How many other TVs are you planning on running off 1 722/622 HD DVR?

#5 OFFLINE   mcovert

mcovert

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 12:53 PM

Thanks for all the responses. I really appreciate it.

I was only planning to use 1 TV with HD/DVR and 2 other TV's with standard receivers.

#6 OFFLINE   snowcat

snowcat

Legend

• Registered
  • 236 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 01:43 PM

Thanks for all the responses. I really appreciate it.

I was only planning to use 1 TV with HD/DVR and 2 other TV's with standard receivers.

To save some money, just get two receivers. A 722 will handle one HD tv and one standard one, and then get a standard reciever for the 2nd TV. That way, you have DVR service to two televisions instead of just one.

You also may want to go ahead a get an HD receiver for the 2nd set instead of a standard one. It shouldn't cost any extra, and you will be future-proofed if you get another HD set. (HD receivers work with standard televisions just fine)

One big difference between satellite and cable is that cable receivers can be upgraded at any time. You are usually stuck with satellite receivers for at least a year, and upgrading costs some money and adds to the contract length.

#7 OFFLINE   WebTraveler

WebTraveler

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 05:33 PM

This question HAS been asked here before - so obviously your search skills need some help.

Was the attitude in your answer really appropriate? The guy asked a honest question.

#8 OFFLINE   CoolGui

CoolGui

Icon

• Registered
  • 506 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 10:38 PM

The answer is yes, but almost universally the monthly charge for the cable internet will go up $5-10. It was the same way when I was with TWC here in Houston and same way with Comcast. It's worth it though, TWC and Comcast both suck IMHO. :) Especially the set top boxes.

DirecTV - Slimline-3S (SWM) - Premiere + HD + MRV + HD Extra
Living Room : HR24/200 - Panasonic TH-50PX60U 50" Plasma - Onkyo TX-SR606B Audio Receiver - PS3 80GB - Wii - Slingbox Classic
Bed Room : H24/200 - LG 32LD450 32" LCD - Xbox 360S 250GB

#9 OFFLINE   FastNOC

FastNOC

Godfather

• Registered
  • 409 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 11:55 PM

it's really simple as answered. yes. the installer probably won't like it because it means he'll have to run a new line, but I have that setup here.

I use Dish for TV, and cable internet. I had them install a dedicated line for the internet. Wasn't a problem, I guess just a pain in the rump to do the wiring. The installer was mad, but I didn't care. It's his job.

EDIT: To clarify. I had already migrated to Dish. It was the cable guy that had to install a dedicated line. he was pissed because I was using their original install to run Dish. which makes no sense because it's still my house.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...