Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

What's with ESPN's incessant SD broadcasts?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,331 posts
  • LocationGalactic Empire

Posted 17 January 2009 - 03:10 PM

Both ESPN and ESPN2 are supposed to be in HD. OK, I realize that not 100% of everything they show is in HD, but come on--all these basketball games on both channels in SD?!?

What's with all these games being shown in pillar box SD? It has gotten to the point where I actually hope the Big Ten Network shows my Illini, because those games are actually in HD. Whether it's the Big Ten, the ACC, the Big 12, or any other conference, the last several weeks most of the games I've seen on ESPN and ESPN2, especially ESPN2, have been in pillar box SD. Fortunately Illinois @ MSU is in HD now, but the game preceding it wasn't. Neither was a game earlier or the other night.

I don't buy the excuse that it's the fault of the home team's facilities or equipment, either, because I've seen these same teams' broadcasts on other channels in HD, but when they're shown on ESPN and ESPN2 (especially ESPN2, as I said), they're in SD.

FAITH: I find the lack of it disturbing.

Opinions are my own but should be those of all Americans, who would be much better off intellectually, psychologically, and emotionally if that were the case.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   FTA Michael

FTA Michael

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,473 posts

Posted 17 January 2009 - 04:06 PM

Why? SD is cheaper.

#3 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,706 posts

Posted 17 January 2009 - 09:36 PM

I agree.. SD is cheaper so that is why ESPN is doing so much SD stuff still. I can't say I've watched basketball since I was 3 or 4 since that sport is soooo boring to me, but the more HD anything, the better.
HD Snob - "Friends Don't Let Friends Watch Cable".
Electrical/RF Engineer & Inspector
DirecTV Equipment: HR24-200, HR24-100, 5LNB Slimline, AM21, SWiM 8 installed (MRV)
HR-2x Configuration: Native OFF. Units OFF when not in use.
TVs: 2 Panasonic Plasma TV's each using HDMI (one 1080p/one 720p)
DirecTV customer since 1998. Plus HD DVR package w/ NHL Center Ice & MLB Extra Innings.
OTA Antenna: Homebrew UHF & VHF antennas w/ 30dB amplifier fed w/ RG-6 Quad-shield coax.

#4 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 8,331 posts
  • LocationGalactic Empire

Posted 17 January 2009 - 09:37 PM

I prefer college basketball any day over the NBA, btw.

FAITH: I find the lack of it disturbing.

Opinions are my own but should be those of all Americans, who would be much better off intellectually, psychologically, and emotionally if that were the case.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...