Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Did L6.16 Improve your Audio experience(Take 2)?

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

Poll: Did L6.16 improve your audio experience? (152 member(s) have cast votes)

Did L6.16 improve your audio experience?

1. Yes it did.. My audio issues are 100% fixed. (22 votes [14.47%])

Percentage of vote: 14.47%

2. Feels like partial fix. Fixed most of the issues. Still seeing some minor glitches. (22 votes [14.47%])

3. Made my life worse. My audio issues went from bad to horrible. (8 votes [5.26%])

Percentage of vote: 5.26%

4. I did not have issues before and still don't. (49 votes [32.24%])

Percentage of vote: 32.24%

5. I did not have issues before, now I do. Would love L6.14 back. (9 votes [5.92%])

Percentage of vote: 5.92%

6. I am seeing audio issues only on my locals. (22 votes [14.47%])

7. I am seeing audio Issues both on my locals and other Channels. (12 votes [7.89%])

Percentage of vote: 7.89%

8. I am not seeing audo issues on my locals, but I get them on other channels. (4 votes [2.63%])

Percentage of vote: 2.63%

9. I have not received L6.16, and I believe I am having the audio drop out issues. (1 votes [0.66%])

Percentage of vote: 0.66%

10. I have not received L6.16 and I am not having audio drop out issues.. (3 votes [1.97%])

Percentage of vote: 1.97%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 17 January 2009 - 08:33 PM

Figured that we have had some time to evaluated L6.16. I would like to get quick feel on what are user feel about L6.16 in regards to audio drop out issues reported in L6.14. I know we have another thread for details so keep posts here brief and if you can supply this info it would be great. If you have not received L6.16, please provide feedback on the bottom two options

I have broken the poll into three. The first 5 options are related to your general experience. The next 3 are to see if there is a trend towards the issues only effecting locals or does it appear to be widespread. The last 2 are for people that have not received L6.16.

One thing to keep in mind when answering the poll. We are looking for reoccurring experiences. If you get the random occasional audio issue, I would consider it a random occurrence and not part of the audio issues we are talking about here and in the other thread. If it is more repeatable in nature, then I would classify it as the group of audio issues people have been experiencing and reporting in the audio threads that are stuck to the top of the forum.

Please include the following info if you want to provide feedback. This is the same poll as the L6.15 poll I closed and also L6.16 (Take 1) that I messed up. If you have not had enough time to evaluate, feel free to wait until you have enough time to evaluate the release before voting in the poll

DMA:

For each DVR, Answer the following questions
DVR Model:
Type of Connection: (Specify Optical, RCA and what TV or receiver model you are connected to)
Did You have audio issues before?
Did L6.16 improve your audio Issues?
If it did not improve, please provide a quick note as to what channels are showing audio issues.

Note: This thread is for providing feedback. Please use the Sticky audio thread for discussion. Any discussion that occurs here will either be moved if possible or deleted if it would not make sense being moved to the general Audio thread.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   NTIMID8

NTIMID8

AllStar

• Registered
  • 56 posts

Posted 17 January 2009 - 10:19 PM

I voted Fixed most but not 100%. Light years better for me.

DMA: Detroit

DVR Model: VIP622
Type of Connection: Optical To a Sony TN9000ES

Did You have audio issues before? Yes, a ton mostly on locals (Fox,ABC) both OTA and redistributed.
Did L6.16 improve your audio Issues? Absolutely!

Only quirk I have seen repeatedly is on redistributed locals (118 sat) a slight audio drop when in live but is not there on playback when rewound, ABC seems to be the only culprit so far. I have noticed about 5-6 per hour. The dropouts do not exist on the recorded show at all.

EDIT: This audio drop also occurs on OTA locals as well during live, but not there when rewound

Edited by NTIMID8, 18 January 2009 - 04:21 PM.

#3 OFFLINE   Larry Kenney

Larry Kenney

Legend

• Registered
  • 110 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 12:41 AM

DVR: ViP622 HDMI to Sony Bravia LCD
I had occasional quick lapses in the audio, which were really irritating during concerts.
I haven't heard any audio problems since I got the L6.16 update! Yea!

Larry
SF

#4 OFFLINE   HobbyTalk

HobbyTalk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,659 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 12:47 AM

DMA: Grand Rapids
DVR Model: VIP622
Type of Connection: HDMI
Did You have audio issues before? Yes, mainly local channels but a few others
Did L6.16 improve your audio Issues? Fewer dropouts on local channels (NBC). Have not noticed any on other channels but I did just watch The Beast in 1080p (downrezzed to 1080i) and it had a number of dropouts.
DirecTV HR34 - 3 HR25's
Panny 42PX77U - Slingbox Pro
tgif: let's RV

#5 OFFLINE   fwampler

fwampler

Legend

• Registered
  • 170 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 07:36 AM

Fixed Fox for non-sports. Haven't had a chance with sports yet.
DMA:#92 - Tricities

DVR Model:VIP622
Type of Connection: (Specify Optical, RCA and what TV or receiver model you are connected to)HDMI Panasonic 50"
Did You have audio issues before?Yes - Fox
Did L6.16 improve your audio Issues?Yes. No problems now.
If it did not improve, please provide a quick note as to what channels are showing audio issues.

#Edit 1. Watched both games - CBS & FOX. Not one fade or other problem. Problem definitely fixed for me.

Edited by fwampler, 19 January 2009 - 07:38 AM.
New Info

Fred

#6 OFFLINE   vader22

vader22

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 08:42 AM

DVR Model: ViP722
Type of Connection: Optical, Sony STR-DG820
Did You have audio issues before? Yes
Did L6.16 improve your audio Issues? No
If it did not improve, please provide a quick note as to what channels are showing audio issues. -- NBC and CBS mostly, a little on FOX but not very much.

#7 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,110 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 18 January 2009 - 10:28 AM

DVR Model: ViP622
Type of Connection: Component to Sharp 37" HDTV
Did You have audio issues before? No
Did L6.16 improve your audio Issues? No problems prior or after L6.16
VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

#8 OFFLINE   moman19

moman19

Icon

• Registered
  • 710 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 10:36 AM

I live in St. Louis where this issue is very real for some. In my case, L6.16 completely cured my 622 which had dropouts on the Fox and and ABC (720p) locals. However, my 722 is a completely different story. On that DVR, the drops moved from the Fox and ABC locals to the CBS and NBC (1080i) locals. In addition, they are now more frequent and severe and appear almost exclusively during delayed (non-real-time) film events (a series such as CSI Miami or a commercial, for example) and never during a video event (Leno, Letterman, etc.).

DVR Model: VIP 622 & VIP 722
Type of Connection: HDMI to TV and Optical to audio system with simultaneous drops on both
Did You have audio issues before? Yes
Did L6.16 improve your audio Issue? 622 = YES. 722 = NO.
All I want is a Perfect DVR!

#9 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,316 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 19 January 2009 - 01:18 AM

Still have problems with CBS and NBC after nearly two weeks with L6.16. Will be giving Fox and ABC a workout this week.

#10 OFFLINE   CopyChief

CopyChief

Legend

• Registered
  • 122 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 08:37 AM

Indeed, the problems on my 722 with L616 seem as if they are confined to satellite-delivered NBC and CBS locals in St. Louis. I have not noticed them on any nonlocal stations, nor have they been evident on other locals (ABC, at least -- haven't watched anything delayed on FOX in a while.)

#11 OFFLINE   ImBack234

ImBack234

Godfather

• Registered
  • 395 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 09:05 AM

My audio problem seem to start with L6.16 on my 622, atleast I never heard it before. Last night I recorded The Mentalist on CBS-HD and every time it came back from commercial I lost audio for a second or two.
Thanks charile.

DVR Model:VIP622
Type of Connection: HDMI
Did You have audio issues before?No
Did L6.16 improve your audio Issues?No

#12 OFFLINE   24dB/octave

24dB/octave

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 12:16 PM

I now have L616 on my 722. Last night (Sunday) I watched the previous Monday's 2 hour (episodes 3 & 4) second night special of 24 on the SF Fox feed. It had 3 or 4 very short dropouts as played through my Onkyo receiver via the optical link. Much better than before. I also recorded a repeat Simpsons. I did a very quick scan & didn't hear any dropouts. Previously the Simpsons was almost unwatchable, so much so, that I recorded it in standard def.

--Alan

#13 OFFLINE   plasmacat

plasmacat

Legend

• Registered
  • 212 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 10:40 AM

In the Bay Area
622 DVR
Optical connection
Audio issues before - yes (dropouts on ABC and Fox)
L6.16 did improve audio issues

Everything seems OK though last night on 24 I did experience a picture freeze and pixelation but the audio was OK.

#14 OFFLINE   ncted

ncted

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 04:00 PM

I have had L616 for a few weeks now. No problems with audio before or after, but my 722 has now told me twice that my smart card is not authorized to receive a channel, and then it will not let me do anything until I reset it.

Ted

#15 OFFLINE   keiths2112

keiths2112

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 05:58 PM

DMA: Raleigh NC

DVR Model: 722
Type of Connection: Component

Did You have audio issues before? No

Did L6.16 improve your audio Issues? NO!!

Never had audio issues before, now have audio issues with both recorded (HD and SD) and live broadcasts. Recorded Wed's Lost, it was unwatchable due to sync issues. Had to watch episode at ABC.com. Was watching my
local news (Chanel 5) terrible audio sync. This is terrible!

Is there anyway to revert to my 6.14?

#16 OFFLINE   Dood

Dood

Legend

• Registered
  • 116 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 08:35 AM

Mine is so much worse it is unwatchable. CBS must have 500 dropes per 1/2 hour - Yes, it is that bad!
Dood-

#17 OFFLINE   PRIME1

PRIME1

AllStar

• Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 10:49 AM

I now have L6.16 on my 722 and it does seem to have fixed the audio dropout problem I was having. Recorded and watched Funniest Home Videos last night with no audio dropouts at all. This program always had the most dropouts for me. It was almost unwatchable before.

#18 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 12:32 PM

PRIME1. are you in in the Raleigh DMA? if so, It would be an interesting Data point to record LOST and see if you are seeing the same thing as keiths2112 is seeing. You are reporting that it fixed your issue while Keith is saying his has gone bad. Definitely an interesting scenario if you are in the same DMA.
<strong class='bbc'>New Member of the 9K club & 922/612 User<br /></strong><span style='font-size: 8px;'>"A release is not a release until it is released." - Me. <br />"To the true believer, no proof is necessary. To the non believer, no proof is sufficient." - Peter James (Derived from a Stewert Chase Quote)</span>

#19 OFFLINE   Ron Thamon

Ron Thamon

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 03:41 PM

Sorry, I don't understand all the verbage here. Don't know about VMAs and all that.

This thread caught my eye only because I was just watching Powerblock PVRd off Spike. I had't noticed any audio sync problems in a while. They seem to be very random. However, they used to ALWAYS occur on Spike TV.

It went away for a while but yesterday I watched Powerblock off Spike, and the audio was worse than ever. I just checked and confirmed I now have the 616 update. I'm not sure when I got it.

I am in the Detoit market but watch very little local channels (almost none). I did watch/DVR the Superbowl and it looked and sounded fantastic.

I watch several hours per week off the Spike channel and it not only has the audio sync issue more than any other channel for me, but the worst picture quality!

I use the 722 optical output to a Beresfore D/A convertor if that matters.

Ron Thamon

#20 OFFLINE   aaronM

aaronM

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 10:44 PM

I concur. Very bad. CBS is awful (CSI Miami). I just had Dish Network replace my box before I found this thread. I use high end Monster HDMI for all of my connections. Back to rabbit ears.

VIP722
Yamaha YSP-4000
Panasonic TH-42PZ85U
Monster HTPS 7000

Edited by aaronM, 16 February 2009 - 10:53 PM.
my hardware wasn't shown

spam firewall