Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

4 DFW Local Channels goes MIA on Dish.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Willh

Willh

Legend

• Registered
  • 130 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 12:31 AM

i don't know what just happened but 4 DFW Local TV channels just went off the air on Dish Network. i was getting ready to watch an rerun of the Chappelle Show on 33 when suddenly boom TV goes pink all over the screen, changed the channel to 27 and saw the "Going off the air" footage they roll with has Star Spangled Banner playing in the background with some kinda war plane in the air. and it went to pink too, then flipped around the locals to find out that 21 and 49 are off the air too.

these are the 4 channels info (calls, Affilations to networks, and owners, and analog ch #)

21- KTXA- CBS O&O, Independent
27- KDFI- FOX O&O, MyNetworkTV
33- KDAF- Tribune O&O, The CW
49- KSTR- Univision O&O, Telefutra

as of 12:25 AM CST, they are not on the air on Dish Network.

but WFAA ABC 8, KDFW Fox 4, KXAS NBC 5, KTVT CBS 11, PBS KERA 13, KUVN Univision 23, Telemundo KXTX 39, KTAQ 47 (which is now back on the air btw), KFWD 52, KLDT 55, AND KPXD Ion 68 are still on the air.

i want to know if they are off the air on DirecTV also as well as on OTA. and if so, why

i think it may have something to do with tower work to get it ready for the DTV switchover on Feb 17 (depending on whether or not the postponment bill get passed or not). :mad:
Dish Network Customer since Jan 2007, upgraded to HD on September 2, 2010.

DVRs/Box Sets: Dish VIP DVR 722K (2 of them).

long time Pro-Wrestling and NASCAR fan.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   GrumpyBear

GrumpyBear

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,233 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 01:11 AM

From KTXA website
How Can I Test My Television Before The Switch?
On four different days during January 2009, CBS 11 engineers will broadcast an informational message on our analog transmitter only. People who see the message will know that their television is not ready for the switch. People who continue to see CBS 11 News will know they are ready for the switch. The tests will be conducted at 6:25 p.m. on January 12, 16, 21 and 27.
Since you started this post on the 16th, looks like you are right, testing is being done.

#3 OFFLINE   Willh

Willh

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 130 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 01:50 AM

From KTXA website
How Can I Test My Television Before The Switch?
On four different days during January 2009, CBS 11 engineers will broadcast an informational message on our analog transmitter only. People who see the message will know that their television is not ready for the switch. People who continue to see CBS 11 News will know they are ready for the switch. The tests will be conducted at 6:25 p.m. on January 12, 16, 21 and 27.
Since you started this post on the 16th, looks like you are right, testing is being done.

i don't think is that for many reasons:
1. it's now Jan 18, as it is past midnight
2. why would the they do an test after midnight for longer than 5 mins.

but my question is why is it off the air after midnight on Saturday night.

#4 OFFLINE   dennispap

dennispap

Icon

• Registered
  • 654 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 11:10 AM

Call one of those stations and ask them. They might be doing some antenna work for the changeover.

#5 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 12:46 PM

Lots of stations are going off the air at night, and sometimes during the day, to work on their transmitters and other equipment in preparation for the digital transition.

#6 OFFLINE   GrumpyBear

GrumpyBear

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,233 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 01:04 PM

What better time to go off the air to make a change? Noon would really upset people, after Midnight, not nearly as many people effected. Looks like they started Testing on the 16th per there site, who knows when the testing would really take place. I have a feeling that 625pm wouldn't work, if they had to go offline for any period of time.

#7 OFFLINE   boba

boba

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,580 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 02:55 PM

The planned test was a 2 minute dropping of the analog signal. All 4 are active OTA digital and analog the problem is with DISH or Willh's system.

#8 OFFLINE   Willh

Willh

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 130 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 07:33 PM

i'm guessing it was tower work to prepare for the DTV switchover, because all 4 channels came back off the air moments after i just shut of my computer for the night. and i did an OTA check with the DTV Converter box hooked up to one of the TV in my home, which picked up 33 which the only one out of the 4 at the time that was off on Dish that was on Air, so i guessing they got done first. so this issue is over.

and btw it came back on in between 2:30-3:00 AM.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...