Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Directv HD-DVR and SWM

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Mitchell44

Mitchell44

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 02:31 PM

I had a Directv installer at my house yesterday and he said he could not install the new HD-DVR in my house without running new lines. I don't know the model number of the new receiver, but it is coming from Directv and is capable of On Demand. He did say I could get a SWM or a SWM module. If it get the SWM, then I would need to replace my R15 DVR because it is not compatible with the SWM. He did say if I get a SWM Modlule, then I could use the new HD-DVR with two sat. inputs and the old DVR with one input. I will accept the latter, which is much better than running new lines around the house and drilling holes in the walls. Directv will also be installing a new dish for us, type is uncertain, but is capable for HD. Can I useDirectv SWM-8 from 2000networks (DirecTV SWM-8 Multiswitch)? Does it need a power supply and therefore electrical wiring to the dish? If I buy this and have it ready for the installer, will he/she be able to hook it up? I don't know much about hooking up these, so any help will be greatly appreciated.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   randyk47

randyk47

Icon

• Registered
  • 814 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, TX

Posted 18 January 2009 - 03:54 PM

If you get a SWM-8 setup then you'll need a Slimline 5-LNB dish with four lines running from it to the SWM-8. From the SWM-8 you run one line to a splitter. The power to the dish is actually supplied through a Power Inserter that can be installed either between the splitter and the SWM-8 module or on one of the lines from the splitter to one of the receivers. There's not need/requirement for a separate electrical wiring to the dish. I went with the SWM-8 because I had a very well aimed Slimline that's in a difficult place to reach on the house. If it helps here's some install instructions from DirecTV. I found the different potential wiring charts to be useful just to understand how the SWM-8 works and how it might be installed. My installation is pretty much the one on page 30. http://forums.direct...uleTraining.pdf

PS - Should have added that the other benefit for you in using the SWM-8 versus the SWM LNB is that you'd be able to continue to use your R15 as the SWM-8 has legacy ports on it for that purpose whereas changing the LNB would not provide that option.

Edited by randyk47, 19 January 2009 - 07:33 AM.

Elite 70" HD LED/HR44/AM21/Denon AVR/Harmony 900
Samsung 52" HD LCD/HR21/Yamaha HTR/Harmony One
Samsung 40" HD LED/HR23/AM21/Pioneer HTR/Harmony 900
Samsung 32" HD LCD/OTA
Slimline Dish
SWM16
MRV
Attic Mounted HD OTA
U-verse Internet/Phone

#3 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 10:42 PM

He did say if I get a SWM Modlule, then I could use the new HD-DVR with two sat. inputs and the old DVR with one input.

You've got that backwards. A SWM (Single Wire Multiswitch) allows the newer-model DVRs to have both tuners fed from a single cable; the older models like the R15, which isn't SWM capable, will always need 2 cables, one per tuner.

As the tech stated, a Slimline dish with a SWM LNB won't work with your R15, and DirecTV doesn't supply the external SWM-8 module (it's a commercial item, not intended for residential use), so you'd have to buy one yourself if you wanted it. It is fed from a standard "legacy" (non-SWM) Slimline LNB, and has 3 "legacy" ports for older receivers in addition to the SWM output. All SWM modules, whether the SWM LNB or the SWM8, will feed a total of 8 tuners (the 3 legacy ports on the SWM8 are NOT counted in this count). That number cannot be internally expanded, but multiple external SWM8 modules can be fed from a single dish.

#4 OFFLINE   Mitchell44

Mitchell44

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 05:02 AM

I truly appreciate the advise from both of you. It looks like I will purchase the SWM-8. We just moved into a new house in October, and there is noway I will allow for outside wiring and hole drilled in the walls. I just wished they installed extra lines during construction.

#5 OFFLINE   LameLefty

LameLefty

I used to be a rocket scientist

• Registered
  • 12,140 posts
  • LocationMiddle Tennessee

Posted 21 January 2009 - 08:28 AM

I truly appreciate the advise from both of you. It looks like I will purchase the SWM-8. We just moved into a new house in October, and there is noway I will allow for outside wiring and hole drilled in the walls. I just wished they installed extra lines during construction.

The SWM8 is a better (though more costly) solution all around, trust me. One line makes it so much easier to put as many tuners as you need (well, up to 8) in any one location. Face it, not many houses are built with multiple runs of RG6 to every location. With SWM technology, that's not an issue except in extreme cases that would need more than 8 tuners in one place. And the Legacy Ports on the SWM8 module are great for older receivers like the R15 until they get totally phased out.

"Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!"
Directv since 1997
Will Work for Beer

#6 OFFLINE   shaner2000

shaner2000

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 04:33 PM

where is a good place to buy the SWM8? Or are shopping-suggestions not allowed on this forum?

#7 OFFLINE   SatRick

SatRick

AllStar

• Registered
  • 90 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 05:48 PM

On a side note

Do you need the SL5 LNB, when using the SWM8, even thought the SL3 has 4 outputs?

#8 OFFLINE   Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 10,838 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 05:54 PM

On a side note

Do you need the SL5 LNB, when using the SWM8, even thought the SL3 has 4 outputs?

Both dishes will work with the SWM8.

#9 OFFLINE   Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 10,838 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 05:54 PM

where is a good place to buy the SWM8? Or are shopping-suggestions not allowed on this forum?

A lot of members have purchased them from solidsignal.com.

#10 OFFLINE   randyk47

randyk47

Icon

• Registered
  • 814 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 06:21 AM

I got my SWM-8 with power inserter and a 4-way splitter off a seller on eBay. Less than any other Internet reseller I could find and they were very quick about getting the equipment to me.
Samsung 32" HD LCD/OTA
Slimline Dish
SWM16
MRV
Attic Mounted HD OTA
U-verse Internet/Phone

#11 OFFLINE   shaner2000

shaner2000

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 08:19 AM

thank you!
Just to clarify, one needs this:

DIRECTV SWM-8 Single Wire Multi-Switch (8 Channel) (SWM-8)
&
DIRECTV SWM-PI 29V 1.5A Power Inserter for SWM-8 (SWM-PI)

for this to work with legacy machines?

#12 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 11,154 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 22 January 2009 - 08:32 AM

thank you!
Just to clarify, one needs this:

DIRECTV SWM-8 Single Wire Multi-Switch (8 Channel) (SWM-8)
&
DIRECTV SWM-PI 29V 1.5A Power Inserter for SWM-8 (SWM-PI)

for this to work with legacy machines?

You need the SWM-8 and PI-29. The SWM-8 has 3 legacy ports which can feed up to 3 legacy tuners, each with it's own coax run back to the SWM. The SWM outputs can only feed SWM capable tuners (H2x, HR2x, R22, R16, D12).

#13 OFFLINE   randyk47

randyk47

Icon

• Registered
  • 814 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 09:17 AM

Carl is correct. The only thing I'd add is you'll need some kind of SWS splitter to feed SWM capable tuners. I guess you could feed two, one out of the SWM1 port and one out of the SWM2 port, without a splitter but that kind of limits you. The PI has to be connected either directly or through a power passing splitter to the SWM1 port. I use a 4-way splitter on the SWM1 output and don't use the SWM2 port at this time to feed three receivers with a total of five tuners. My PI is actually behind my AV stack in my theater with what I've designated as IRD#1 so it's between the IRD and SWS splitter. You can have the PI between the SWM-8 and the splitter but I believe you have to have the PI at least 15 feet (cable length) from the SWM-8 and I've got probably 25' to 30' of cable from the PI to the SWM-8 so that's not a problem.

Edited by randyk47, 22 January 2009 - 09:23 AM.

Samsung 32" HD LCD/OTA
Slimline Dish
SWM16
MRV
Attic Mounted HD OTA
U-verse Internet/Phone

#14 OFFLINE   LameLefty

LameLefty

I used to be a rocket scientist

• Registered
  • 12,140 posts
  • LocationMiddle Tennessee

Posted 22 January 2009 - 10:29 AM

You don't need Directv-branded SWS splitters either. Any good splitter rated for 5-2150 mhz ought to work. Yes, the SWM control signal is 2.1 mhz or so, but the dropoff from 5 down to 2 mhz is generally negligible. I'm using Skywalker SKY23302D splitters (six of them in my setup, since I'm also splitting lines from the dish and running a regular WB68 switch in parallel). My system works great. :)

"Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!"
Directv since 1997
Will Work for Beer

#15 OFFLINE   mcinstall

mcinstall

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 10:35 PM

your R15 can be used with the new swm system one line to the dish just make sure you force a download on theat receiver before it is install.

#16 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 11,154 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 22 January 2009 - 10:39 PM

your R15 can be used with the new swm system one line to the dish just make sure you force a download on theat receiver before it is install.

No, the R15 can only be used with the legacy ports of an external SWM switch. It cannot be used with an SWM LNB/dish. The R16 can be used with SWM, the R15 cannot.

#17 OFFLINE   woodybeetle

woodybeetle

Legend

• Registered
  • 138 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 12:00 AM

You've got that backwards. A SWM (Single Wire Multiswitch) allows the newer-model DVRs to have both tuners fed from a single cable; the older models like the R15, which isn't SWM capable, will always need 2 cables, one per tuner.

As the tech stated, a Slimline dish with a SWM LNB won't work with your R15, and DirecTV doesn't supply the external SWM-8 module (it's a commercial item, not intended for residential use), so you'd have to buy one yourself if you wanted it. It is fed from a standard "legacy" (non-SWM) Slimline LNB, and has 3 "legacy" ports for older receivers in addition to the SWM output. All SWM modules, whether the SWM LNB or the SWM8, will feed a total of 8 tuners (the 3 legacy ports on the SWM8 are NOT counted in this count). That number cannot be internally expanded, but multiple external SWM8 modules can be fed from a single dish.

Since when, It has the approved by DTV logo all over it, it is also one of three approved methods of install in condos? MFH2,MFH3 and SMATV. What gives, they trust it for MDU but not residential?
Daniel D. Corum
DDCESI/Idiot Proof Television

#18 OFFLINE   randyk47

randyk47

Icon

• Registered
  • 814 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 07:08 AM

It's not a matter of trusting the equipment in a residential environment, it's more that the equipment was designed and intended for MDU or larger commercial installs. This won't be the first time a piece of equipment or technology designed or intended for commercial or more industrial applications has found its way into the private sector and, in this case, single family residential use. For me it was a very elegant solution, easy to install, provides more flexibility, and was much easier than upgrading the dish. DirecTV offered to upgrade my dish by the way to a SWM but backed off when I told them it already was a private install because of the difficulty to reach. They didn't offer and I didn't pursue trying to get them to give me a SWM LNB for my private installer as I already knew he'd charge me as much, if not more, for the service call than the SWM-8 equipment cost me.

Edited by randyk47, 23 January 2009 - 07:21 AM.

Samsung 32" HD LCD/OTA
Slimline Dish
SWM16
MRV
Attic Mounted HD OTA
U-verse Internet/Phone

#19 OFFLINE   shaner2000

shaner2000

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 08:15 AM

great info. thanks all.

i've just got 2 rooms hooked up now - one with a newer receiver, and one with an older receiver, so i think i can get by without a splitter for now.

much appreciated.

#20 OFFLINE   shaner2000

shaner2000

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 10:02 AM

just as a follow-up, let me just say that, if you ever have a tech/installer come to your house, it never hurts just to inquire about what would be involved with getting a SWM installed. i'll leave it at that.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...