Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

ESPN Full Court Freeview--PQ still horrific eh?

replacement

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   JAYPB

JAYPB

Legend

• Registered
  • 244 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 06:13 PM

I noticed that whilst trolling around yesterday for programming that the ESPN Full Court was in a "Freeview". I decided to record the UT-USC basketball game and figured since it was a "Freeview" I'd record the "HD" version on FSS-HD (I'm a Sports Pak sub as well...so I figured I'd record the non-HD FSS channel (646?) and the FSS-HD channel (646-1?). I didn't notice an "HD" broadcast in the Full Court channel area, but figured the game would be in the clear on 646-1 since it was a "Freeview".

I came home to see that not only were both channels "blacked out" and not available....the handy Game Search picked up the FC channel (721?) and recorded it....and I was amazed how horrific the PQ looked. I actually recorded this "game" on a 50" RPTV and a 37" LCD...and both pictures looked horrific off of the GP channels (both recorded on HR21's).

My questions:

-Has the PQ been this bad all year? I haven't subbed to FC in 3-4 years...but as I said I'm a Sports Pak sub...so I'm aware of how "bad" the PQ can be on these RSN channels on various sports broadcasts...but this was horrible. Dark, sepia-ish...on BOTH TV'S/set up's I recorded it on

-Does Full Court only show the games on the FC channels...meaning if I'm a SportsPak sub I have to watch/record it off the FC channels...with the RSN's themselves being "dark"/unavailable? As an MLB EI sub, I always record off the RSN's (ie. STO is 662/662-1 and I record off of those channels) vs the MLBEI channels...and the games are "there" when I tune in.

-As a Verizon DSL sub I believe I have access to the ESPN360 broadcasts...but I can never seem to watch a full game without glitching/hiccups/loss of connection (which I'm guessing is because my DSL connection is subpar)---I just couldn't believe how bad the D*/ESPN PQ was for the Tennessee-SC game I recorded last night.
D* sub
1 HR20/3 HR21's/1 HR22/1 AM21/3 R15's /5LNB/3LNB/single LNB dishes...and a large utility bill!!!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   bobukcat

bobukcat

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 10:49 AM

I've been a FC sub on E* for the last 5 or 6 years and the PQ has always been pretty bad, at times almost unwatchable. I've often thought I could probably get that kind of PQ over an old 56Kbps modem, it's that bad. If things don't improve soon (no real promise of that) this will probably be my last year with the package as I get more and more discriminating with regards to PQ as I get older and being able to see the one or two games that my team is not on FSN, ESPN or network is just not worth it. I love college BB but can't stand to watch when it looks that bad.

As for the RSN being blacked-out, I don't believe that subbing to FC has any effect on it. If the game is not blacked-out you can still watch it on either the RSN or FC, at times I have seen a problem with FC being blacked-out because the game was on the RSN - THAT really ticked me off after paying so much for FC!

Edited by bobukcat, 19 January 2009 - 10:50 AM.
typo

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: replacement

spam firewall