Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

High Def on Fox?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Paladin369

Paladin369

Mentor

• Registered
  • 42 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 07:02 PM

I live in the western Mass area, just watched a great game on Local Fox, but the High Def is terrible compared to the second game on Local CBS, both are transmitted through DirecTV. Is there anything that I can do to get a better picture?

Thank you

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Msguy

Msguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,572 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 08:27 PM

There were widely scattered reports that some affiliates for todays NFC Championship game in High Def were bad. My market wasn't but there were some and other threads confirm this. There basically isn't anything you can do. It's how your local FOX delivers the game.

#3 OFFLINE   tater71

tater71

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 10:19 PM

Western Mass still doesn't get Fox in HD. These threads will give you the latest:

http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=141220

http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=149482

#4 OFFLINE   Paladin369

Paladin369

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 42 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 07:24 AM

Thank you for the reply.

Have a great Day

#5 OFFLINE   machavez00

machavez00

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,601 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, Arizona

Posted 19 January 2009 - 09:58 AM

I recorded the game on the HR20-700 and watched the game after I came home the game. Fox 10 looked good here.

Edited by machavez00, 19 January 2009 - 10:50 AM.

#6 OFFLINE   Pepster

Pepster

Legend

• Registered
  • 212 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 10:21 AM

I live in the western Mass area, just watched a great game on Local Fox, but the High Def is terrible compared to the second game on Local CBS, both are transmitted through DirecTV. Is there anything that I can do to get a better picture?

Thank you

I saw no problems with the FOX transmission here in N.Y.C., but on the whole, CBS' picture does look better to me. I see that regardless of whether I'm viewing via DirecTV or OTA.

#7 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,614 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 11:03 AM

With a "group" over for both NFL games this weekend...

On the same display...

The FOX HD broadcast game was noticably lower in HD quality most of the time compared to the CBD HD broadcast. That is not always the case on regular season weekends.

But for this playoff weekend...on the CBS game...despite being an outdoor game...the contrast & color was better....almost all cameras were HD and in great focus.

On FOX....low contrast, weak colors, and obviously only 1/2 their cameras were HD.

One would think for a nationally-televised major sports event....FOX would have done things right with the HD broadcast...but they clearly didn't (pun intended).

Shame on FOX....Kudos on CBS.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#8 OFFLINE   Paladin369

Paladin369

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 42 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 07:11 PM

It's sad, but true

#9 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,693 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 04:46 PM

Locally, our Fox station (WPMT) actually has been HD PQ than our local CBS station (WHP) provides when closely watching fast motion. Most vary from station to station.
HD Snob - "Friends Don't Let Friends Watch Cable".
Electrical/RF Engineer & Inspector
DirecTV Equipment: HR24-200, HR24-100, 5LNB Slimline, AM21, SWiM 8 installed (MRV)
HR-2x Configuration: Native OFF. Units OFF when not in use.
TVs: 2 Panasonic Plasma TV's each using HDMI (one 1080p/one 720p)
DirecTV customer since 1998. Plus HD DVR package w/ NHL Center Ice & MLB Extra Innings.
OTA Antenna: Homebrew UHF & VHF antennas w/ 30dB amplifier fed w/ RG-6 Quad-shield coax.

#10 OFFLINE   D*HR-20

D*HR-20

Legend

• Registered
  • 229 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 05:58 PM

I love when everyone blames Fox for the problem when many people's Fox HD looks great. Look closer to home for the problem like cheap second rate stations that refuse to spend a penny to improve anything.

spam firewall