Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Does DVR still work if you cancel DirecTV service?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   mankinator

mankinator

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 12:30 PM

Can I still use the HR20 to record OTA shows if I cancel my DirecTV service? Does it still have a guide?

Scott

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 12:40 PM

No, you can't. It must be activated to record.

#3 OFFLINE   hasan

hasan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,830 posts
  • LocationOgden, IA

Posted 19 January 2009 - 12:57 PM

I'm not sure you can even play back a recording if your service is not active.

...hasan, N0AN

SlimLine5-SWiMLNB/DECA/WHDVR
HR44-700, WD20EURX 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Max 5 Enclosure

HR24-200, WD20EVDS 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Dock

HR24-200, H21-200. Samsung UN60C6400 60" LED/LCD

DirecTV since 1995

#4 OFFLINE   Coumyl

Coumyl

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 01:06 PM

Playback is still possible after the service is cut off.
I had my HR20 turned off and my new HR23 activated this past weekend and the hr20 playback was still active.

#5 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Under the right circumstances, you can for a while. You'd have to disconnect your DVR from the sat signal BEFORE you had your service disconnected. Then, you have a couple of weeks before the authorization expires that you could watch recordings.

#6 OFFLINE   judson_west

judson_west

Godfather

• Registered
  • 257 posts

You may play back recordings. In fact I just did this. I disconnected an old DVR (TiVo) from my account about 6 months ago. My mother was having trouble recording programs on her TiVo. I moved my old box to her location. After it was set up, but before it was activated on her account, I could go into the Now Playing List and playback all of the programs that had been recorded on the box before I disconnected it from my account.

P.S. There was no guide to speak of until after activation.
Video/Audio 1: DirecTV HR24-500 (HDMI)-> Sony STR-DA5200ES -> Sony KDL-52XBR9
Video/Audio 2: DirecTV HR20-700 (HDMI) -> Sony KDL-32EX500
Video/Audio 3: DirecTV HR20-700 (HDMI) -> Sony KDL-40EX500

#7 OFFLINE   miketorse

miketorse

Icon

• Registered
  • 647 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 01:08 PM

You may play back recordings. In fact I just did this. I disconnected an old DVR (TiVo) from my account about 6 months ago. My mother was having trouble recording programs on her TiVo. I moved my old box to her location. After it was set up, but before it was activated on her account, I could go into the Now Playing List and playback all of the programs that had been recorded on the box before I disconnected it from my account.

I believe the functionality in regards to this is different with the TIVO based D* DVRs than it is for the D* based DVR's.
Mike

My system:

HR21
HR22 w/ AM21
R15
SWM-8
Slimline5 w/ no LOS to 119 Slimline3

#8 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,913 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 19 January 2009 - 01:12 PM

TiVo is different than the HR2x. With the HR2x you need to (in general) maintain a satellite connection *and* maintain service. There may be ways to "trick" it for a while, but it is only for a short time.

The bottom line is that for an HR2x DVR .. No, you cannot watch recordings without service.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#9 OFFLINE   judson_west

judson_west

Godfather

• Registered
  • 257 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 01:27 PM

Thanks for the update. A friend of mine was deciding on whether or not he could still keep and view his recording on a TiVo unit after it was deactivated so he could upgrade to a HD DVR. Since it is a TiVo unit (DirecTV branded), it should be ok.
Video/Audio 1: DirecTV HR24-500 (HDMI)-> Sony STR-DA5200ES -> Sony KDL-52XBR9
Video/Audio 2: DirecTV HR20-700 (HDMI) -> Sony KDL-32EX500
Video/Audio 3: DirecTV HR20-700 (HDMI) -> Sony KDL-40EX500

#10 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,824 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 01:35 PM

Playback is still possible after the service is cut off.
I had my HR20 turned off and my new HR23 activated this past weekend and the hr20 playback was still active.

Under the right circumstances, you can for a while. You'd have to disconnect your DVR from the sat signal BEFORE you had your service disconnected. Then, you have a couple of weeks before the authorization expires that you could watch recordings.

P.S. There was no guide to speak of until after activation.

It's correct that if you disconnect the satellite connection prior to deactivation you can watch what you have left on the DVR.

However, IIRC, if you reset the receiver of if it loses/regains power you can lose the ability to watch the shows you have left.

It might be best to wait to deactivate it until you watch everything you want. :grin:

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#11 OFFLINE   evan_s

evan_s

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 02:02 PM

Also keep in mind that with any HR2X box it's most likely a leased box that will need to be returned if you cancel service anyway. Failing to return a leased receiver will generate a big fat fee.

spam firewall