Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

LG TV - HDMI Connect Problem

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   rgignac

rgignac

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 04:06 PM

I'm having a problem with an LG 26LG40 LCD TV and an HR22 receiver connected via HDMI.

When both devices are initially powered on, the LG TV displays "connecting" for approx. 10 seconds and then "no signal." After 2 to 6 minutes in this state, the LG will suddenly connect and operate normally. Power cycling the LG one or more times after the initial failure will also correct the problem (leaving HR22 powered on). Once connection is established, everything operates normally.

I've tried switching HR22 receivers and HDMI cables with no change to the above. I've also tried Native Off and fixed resolution (720p or 1080i), and Native On and multiple resolutions (480p, 720p, 1080i). I know that this LG model doesn't support 480i over HDMI.

Any suggestions? Does this sound like an LG or HR22 problem?

Thanks,
Roy

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,827 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 04:10 PM

:welcome_s to DBSTalk!

It sounds like a problem between the two, not the fault of either. HDMI is a fairly loose spec and if your TV isn't implementing it they way DIRECTV is expecting, that could be the issue.

I know that our friends at DIRECTV work hard to add more and more HDMI compatibility with every release. I would report your issue in the "Issues Only" thread at the top of this forum to make sure they see it.

As far was workarounds, you may use component, or if your AV receiver has HDMI switching, you can probably use that. Another thought is to leave the HR22 powered up 100% of the time, which will not hurt it. There are ways to turn off the blue light ring if you find that annoying.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#3 OFFLINE   rgignac

rgignac

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 05:43 PM

Hi Stewart,

Thanks for the quick response. However, I do want to hear from other LG LCD owners to see if they're experiencing the same problem. The TV is still under warranty, and LG has agreed to test it for no charge. I'd rather not be without it for a few weeks if it's a known incompatibility. My search of this site didn't find any currently reported issues that are similiar to my problem. If it's an incompatibility, others would have seen it.

Thanks,
Roy

#4 OFFLINE   rahlquist

rahlquist

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,631 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 06:33 PM

Hi Stewart,

Thanks for the quick response. However, I do want to hear from other LG LCD owners to see if they're experiencing the same problem. The TV is still under warranty, and LG has agreed to test it for no charge. I'd rather not be without it for a few weeks if it's a known incompatibility. My search of this site didn't find any currently reported issues that are similiar to my problem. If it's an incompatibility, others would have seen it.

My wifes Toshiba which is built with LG guts has issues with HDMI, in my case sometimes when I power them up close to each other I wind up with 70% of the screen filled with large random text characters. So we use component.

#5 OFFLINE   jkf

jkf

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 09:51 PM

Same problem with my LG LCD-TV and the HDMI cable. At one point I had all three providers, Comcast, Dish, and Directv. All three when hooked up by the HDMI cable appeared with a green tint - Dish was the greenest for some reason. I also had a problem with my TV warming up - sometimes taking 10-15 offs/ons before the picture would appear. Circuit City sent a repariman out about 4 times before replacing a major component. I went through hours of trying different cables, connecting by S-Video, RCA cables, don't waste your time - it's something in the TV itself. If its under warranty I would call for service.

#6 OFFLINE   rgignac

rgignac

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 11:19 PM

Hi jkf,

Thanks for the response and suggestion.

What is the model number of your LG TV? How old is it?

Did the service call ultimately fix the problem?

Thanks again,
Roy

#7 OFFLINE   rsteinfe

rsteinfe

Legend

• Registered
  • 134 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 10:58 AM

I purchased an LG LCD (42LG70) a week ago. Have experienced no HDMI problems to date.

#8 OFFLINE   rgignac

rgignac

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 01:52 PM

Hi rsteinfe,

What devices do you have connected via HDMI?

Thanks,
Roy

#9 OFFLINE   rsteinfe

rsteinfe

Legend

• Registered
  • 134 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 05:52 PM

Hi rsteinfe,

What devices do you have connected via HDMI?

Thanks,
Roy

At the moment, just an HR20-100.

#10 OFFLINE   rsteinfe

rsteinfe

Legend

• Registered
  • 134 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 09:07 PM

My son has a 42-inch LG LCD, about a year old. He recently returned to DirecTV from cable. He has not experienced any HDMI problems with his HR23.

#11 OFFLINE   macmikey

macmikey

Homer Worshipper

• Registered
  • 104 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 09:32 AM

Hi,

I have the LG5046 or whatever it is, a 42" LCD. It works perfectly with HDMI and an HR21-700. It syncs almost immediately as soon as the DVR is ready to go.

I also use HDMI with a DVD player and an Xbox 360. The TV syncs right away with both as well.

Mike
  • HR20-100 --> Sony 32" HDTV (CRT)
  • R15-300 --> Sony 27" SDTV (CRT)
  • HR21-700 --> LG 46" LCD
  • D12-300 --> Spare
  • D10-300 Spare
  • MacBook Pro w/EyeConnect (Media Share)

Never ask a man what computer he uses. If it's a Mac, he'll tell you. If it's not, why embarrass him? - Thanks to Tom Clancy

spam firewall