Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Directv Cancel Help

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Brandon428

Brandon428

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,129 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 08:01 PM

I'm canceling Directv next Wednesday and I am paying 150 ETF. I was wondering if I would upgrade to the Premier pack right now would I have to pay extra to cancel or pay the bill for this month?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   davring

davring

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,382 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 08:05 PM

I have no idea what you are trying to accomplish. Free Premier for a week?
HR20-700(2.0TB)>Sony XBR-55HX929
HR20-700>Sony KDL40V2500
OTA RS outdoor ant
Hardwire networked to Cysco Router 6.0 AT&T DSL
MRV enabled
R15-500>Samsung LNT2342H
DirecTV customer since 1997

#3 OFFLINE   Brandon428

Brandon428

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,129 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 08:07 PM

I have no idea what you are trying to accomplish. Free Premier for a week?

Yeah,lol. Theres nothing on. Why not if it'll be free.

#4 OFFLINE   say-what

say-what

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,647 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted 22 January 2009 - 08:17 PM

Yes they would charge you for the Premium Package for however much time you have between now and when your cancellation takes effect, plus they'd probably charge you the $10 premium disconnect also.

All this on top of the $150 disconnect - oh, don't forget to return the receivers, or else you're going to get hit with a hefty non-returned equipment fee. :)

#5 OFFLINE   Brandon428

Brandon428

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,129 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 08:20 PM

Thanks.

#6 OFFLINE   braven

braven

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,033 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 05:41 AM

If you disconnect a premium movie package within 30 days of activation, you'll be charged a $10 termination fee. Makes sense to me.
HR34, HR24, (2) H21's
Whole Home DVR

@I_am_Braven

#7 OFFLINE   pilot305

pilot305

AllStar

• Registered
  • 79 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 09:17 AM

Curious, I have about 15 months left on my 2-year contract (one HD-DVR & one SD-DVR) i was wondering what i would have to pay if i cancelled my account (seperation going on personally, long story for another time). I think its like $20/month for every month left on the contract?? I'm not sure. I'm thinking about looking into local Time Warner Cable since i already have internet through them. Maybe i can get a bundled deal.

#8 OFFLINE   Mertzen

Mertzen

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,682 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 09:24 AM

I think its like $20/month for every month left on the contract?? I'm not sure. I'm thinking about looking into local Time Warner Cable since i already have internet through them. Maybe i can get a bundled deal.

Yup, but check the cable pricing first. they charge differently for DVRs.
No longer doing DBS work, but missing every moment of it.

#9 OFFLINE   pilot305

pilot305

AllStar

• Registered
  • 79 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 09:27 AM

Is that $20/month left per receiver or $20/month left per contract??

#10 OFFLINE   say-what

say-what

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,647 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted 23 January 2009 - 09:41 AM

Is that $20/month left per receiver or $20/month left per contract??

It's for the contract. You never have more than 24 months. If you add a HD DVR with 10 months left on a contract, your contract is extended an additional 14 months so that it expires 24 months from the date that receiver was added.

#11 OFFLINE   dodge boy

dodge boy

R.I.P. Chris Henry

• Banned User
  • 4,231 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 11:33 AM

I'm thinking about looking into local Time Warner Cable since i already have internet through them. Maybe i can get a bundled deal.

It's Ok to think about TWC, just don't actually get it. I had TWC digital cable and a DVR, it was the worst 5 days of my TV viewing life... No joke I returned their DVR and a seperate digital box to them before 7 days so I would not owe them anything.
My experience was horrible. My house never had cable ran to it before. They put it in and the picture would pixelate, the sound would stutter, it was horrible. I called Tech support, they said it wasn't getting a good signal, they would send a guy to install an "amp" well the guy came, was the same guy that installed it. He disconnected the wires from the splitters, put new ends on them, new ends at the receivers and left. The problems were still there, I called back and told them I'd be out with my equipment.
I called D* back and unsuspended my account, ran the wires back to my multi switch and hooked up my DVRs and have never even considered leaving D* since.
My equipment:
1 HR22-100 leased
1 HR22-100 owned
1 HR23-700 owned
1 R22-100 owned
1 R22-200 owned

Slimline III with a 4X8 multiswitch and an SWM8
18" round dish with a 4X8 switch on the garage

#12 OFFLINE   Brandon428

Brandon428

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,129 posts

Posted 31 January 2009 - 09:19 PM

Is there anyway I can get out of my contract without paying the full 150 or perhaps less.

#13 ONLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,849 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 01 February 2009 - 10:49 AM

Is there anyway I can get out of my contract without paying the full 150 or perhaps less.

I highly doubt it. You can suspend your account for up to six months (I believe), and I think you can suspend it twice in a year. Perhaps if you suspended it that would give you sufficient time to reorganize to the point that you could use it again. Also, you do not need to keep the same programming package you currently have, you can downgrade to the lowest package and still satisfy the service committment.

#14 OFFLINE   cgking114

cgking114

Mentor

• Registered
  • 52 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 11:51 AM

I highly doubt it. You can suspend your account for up to six months (I believe), and I think you can suspend it twice in a year. Perhaps if you suspended it that would give you sufficient time to reorganize to the point that you could use it again. Also, you do not need to keep the same programming package you currently have, you can downgrade to the lowest package and still satisfy the service committment.

Actually you can only suspend your account once a year and for no longer than 6 months.

#15 OFFLINE   RACJ2

RACJ2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,841 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 03:14 PM

It's Ok to think about TWC, just don't actually get it. I had TWC digital cable and a DVR, it was the worst 5 days of my TV viewing life... No joke I returned their DVR and a seperate digital box to them before 7 days so I would not owe them anything.
My experience was horrible. My house never had cable ran to it before. They put it in and the picture would pixelate, the sound would stutter, it was horrible.

I had TWC and had a similar issue when I upgraded to digital cable with an HD DVR. It ended up being a problem at the distribution box and once they fixed that it was fine. I really thought the HD picture with cable was fine, just not enough HD channels. Now they are catching up, but still don't have the sports HD that I desire. If it saves the OP money, I would go with the suggestion to suspend D* for 6 mo and get cable.
HR34-700, HR22-100

spam firewall