Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Opinions on how the possible delay in the Dig Trans will effect programming

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   tuckerdog

tuckerdog

Legend

• Registered
  • 132 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 02:59 PM

With the possibility of a Congress agreeing to postpone the Dig Trans until June, do members of this forum have an opinion on wether this affect D*'s decision on national vs LIL additions?

If this has already been discussed I apologize
Michael

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,691 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 23 January 2009 - 03:04 PM

The delay changes nothing with respect to programming.

Any delay would likely confuse consumers and add significant un-planned costs for the TV stations.

Yes, it has been discussed to death. Use the search feature and search for the word "transition".

#3 OFFLINE   SParker

SParker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,558 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 04:11 PM

Expect a great many broadcasters to cut off the analog on Feb 17th anyways. There is nothing that the extension can do to stop them. So its basically pointless legislation.

#4 OFFLINE   DJTheC

DJTheC

AllStar

• Registered
  • 62 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 05:00 PM

I feel this transition should've occurred a long while back.

#5 OFFLINE   mreposter

mreposter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,704 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 06:13 PM

Expect a great many broadcasters to cut off the analog on Feb 17th anyways. There is nothing that the extension can do to stop them. So its basically pointless legislation.

Couldn't that put stations that cut over "on time" at a competitive disadvantage if other stations in their market didn't? All those old/poor/clueless folks would stick with the stations still doing analog.

If congress does decide to push the cutover to June or later, I'd like to see them do a one-day national test where all stations turn off their analog or run a static warning screen for 24 hours.
.......... There are none so blind as those who can not see it in HD.
.......... Directv customer since January 2000.

#6 OFFLINE   davring

davring

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,387 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 06:28 PM

Every major network station is on time for Feb 17th in Miami/Ft Lauderdale, I'm not sure about all the independents.
HR20-700(2.0TB)>Sony XBR-55HX929
HR20-700>Sony KDL40V2500
OTA RS outdoor ant
Hardwire networked to Cysco Router 6.0 AT&T DSL
MRV enabled
R15-500>Samsung LNT2342H
DirecTV customer since 1997

#7 OFFLINE   SParker

SParker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,558 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 06:39 PM

Couldn't that put stations that cut over "on time" at a competitive disadvantage if other stations in their market didn't? All those old/poor/clueless folks would stick with the stations still doing analog.

If congress does decide to push the cutover to June or later, I'd like to see them do a one-day national test where all stations turn off their analog or run a static warning screen for 24 hours.

That's why this last minute legislation is idiotic. We are supposed to be the greatest country in the world yet we are one of if not the last country to dump analog.

#8 OFFLINE   evan_s

evan_s

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 07:00 PM

It could but running the digital and analogue signals both costs the station quite a bit of money just for the power for the transmitter. They can also get paid by the companies that won auctions for vacating them early.

#9 OFFLINE   BattleScott

BattleScott

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,353 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 07:19 PM

The OP is asking whether or not a delay will alter DirecTV's strategy of concentrating on HD LiL markets vs. additional national HD channels. I don't think it will. They still need as many DMAs on-line as possible to attract new subscribers.
HR24-500 / AM-21 / WGA54AG
42" Pannasonic Plasma
HR22-100 / 26" LG LCD
Slimline 5-LNB

#10 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,252 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 07:25 PM

And DIRECTV has to be ready for stations whenever they switch, not when they are required to switch. :)

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#11 OFFLINE   ziggy29

ziggy29

Icon

• Registered
  • 691 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio DMA

Posted 23 January 2009 - 07:57 PM

Should have nothing to do with how D* offers locals in general or HD locals in particular that I can see.

#12 OFFLINE   dcowboy7

dcowboy7

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,637 posts
  • LocationPequannock, NJ

Posted 23 January 2009 - 08:15 PM

but it does mean 4 more months of fast forwarding on the dvr thru these insipid public service announcements (umm that obviously havent worked so well).

#13 OFFLINE   kevinwmsn

kevinwmsn

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 09:24 PM

it will affect the local nbc here with a busted transmitter on that they use for digital and they won't repair it because they will flip to the other one when they convert.
my setup here

#14 OFFLINE   mshaw2715

mshaw2715

Slow but steady.

• Registered
  • 834 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in Washington

Posted 23 January 2009 - 09:47 PM

Do to the budgets of the local stations, I don't expect any of the locals here to have the analog signal up after that date and that includes the next closest market as well. These stations have already made cuts just to cover the cost now. Those who are just to stubern to change will just be without.

#15 OFFLINE   Jestr40

Jestr40

Godfather

• Registered
  • 290 posts

Posted 24 January 2009 - 05:50 AM

Our local Comcast station is running an add in the newspaper that PBS-HD will be made available on Feb. 17th. Could be a coincidence, but I believe it will be added as soon as the analog feeds are shut down. Comcast has been moving some channels one at a time to the digital tier to make room for the HD channels they have now.

#16 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,828 posts

Posted 24 January 2009 - 08:16 AM

I'd like to see them do a one-day national test where all stations turn off their analog or run a static warning screen for 24 hours.

I believe there already was one.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#17 ONLINE   I WANT MORE

I WANT MORE

CowboySooner

• Registered
  • 1,125 posts
  • LocationNorthern plains

Posted 24 January 2009 - 09:08 AM

With the possibility of a Congress agreeing to postpone the Dig Trans until June, do members of this forum have an opinion on wether this affect D*'s decision on national vs LIL additions?

If this has already been discussed I apologize
Michael

I believe this should be changed to "impending delay" Unbelievable. :mad::mad:
Perhaps I Misremembered.

#18 OFFLINE   Jestr40

Jestr40

Godfather

• Registered
  • 290 posts

Posted 24 January 2009 - 09:42 AM

I don't understand who the delay is helping. The tv stations are ready, the cable companies are ready to retrieve the bandwidth and the emergency services that are getting the air space have already asked the Obama admin. not to delay. The only people that are being "helped" are the 6+ million (maybe) that have not upgraded. My guess is that you could delay it for a year and 90% of them STILL won't be ready.

#19 OFFLINE   billsharpe

billsharpe

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,229 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 24 January 2009 - 12:25 PM

I believe there already was one.

Don't think so. I saw a one-minute test a couple weeks ago on our local Channel 7. 24-hour national test would have people screaming!
Bill

Family room: Sony Bravia KDL-40SL130
Living room: Sceptre 32 inch

#20 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,828 posts

Posted 24 January 2009 - 01:17 PM

Don't think so. I saw a one-minute test a couple weeks ago on our local Channel 7. 24-hour national test would have people screaming!

Each TV station was required to run that test. If each station is running that test that equates a national test.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Protected By... spam firewall...And...