Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Opinions on how the possible delay in the Dig Trans will effect programming

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#51 OFFLINE   billsharpe

billsharpe

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,402 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 04 February 2009 - 12:37 PM

I bought a converter box for my old bedroom TV set last week. Besides the digital translation the box allows analog pass-through. It will be interesting to see how many analog channels remain on February 17.

My OTA antenna is 35 years old. I replaced the twin-lead with coax last year and am getting about 50 digital signals in the LA area.
Bill

Family room: Sony Bravia KDL-40SL130
Living room: Sceptre 32 inch

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#52 OFFLINE   Mariah2014

Mariah2014

Breaking the mold

• Registered
  • 836 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in Washington

Posted 04 February 2009 - 05:27 PM

Congress may have passed a new date, but stations around here are going down anyway on February 17. All Spokane stations have confirmed 2/17/09 they are doing it so as to not confuse people with two different dates. Belo stations appear to have been the only hold outs until the announcment they made in the last 24hrs stating as a group they are going down on that date. This makes it clear that Kennewick, Richland, Pasco, WA market will be the same way. The only hold out here was kepr but because parts can't be replaced to their broken analog transmitter have resulted in them already changing over to digital only.

#53 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,464 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 05:39 PM

In today's House debate, a station was reported to have started replacing their analog backup transmitter already. If the main analog dies, they switch. Parts are too expensive or hard to find for repairs.

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#54 OFFLINE   LoopinFool

LoopinFool

Icon

• Registered
  • 876 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 05:55 PM

I think it is absolutely hilarious. But I will wait to see if they actually do it. I do think the the WVMH stations will switch as they are locally owned and don't have the deep pockets the Sinclair/Gray stations do.

Sinclair -- deep pockets -- !rolling

#55 OFFLINE   evan_s

evan_s

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 06:16 PM

From the info posted http://www.rabbitear...fo/termlist.php all my locals will be cutting off analog signals this month which is fine with me.

#56 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,310 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 04 February 2009 - 07:24 PM

From the info posted http://www.rabbitear...fo/termlist.php all my locals will be cutting off analog signals this month which is fine with me.

That list was created before the recent congressional action, so is likely to change.

#57 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,464 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 07:43 PM

That list was created before the recent congressional action, so is likely to change.

I'm expecting many changes in the next week as local broadcasters associations decide when they will transition. These are the ones that have filed todate. :)

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#58 OFFLINE   mreposter

mreposter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,710 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 08:03 PM

I have a feeling that this is only going to make the situation more confusing for people, not less.
.......... There are none so blind as those who can not see it in HD.
.......... Directv customer since January 2000.

#59 OFFLINE   Jeremy W

Jeremy W

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,447 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 08:36 PM

I have a feeling that this is only going to make the situation more confusing for people, not less.

It will. No good will come out of it, this was a bad move in every way.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...