Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Opinions on how the possible delay in the Dig Trans will effect programming

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   Dolly

Dolly

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 2,179 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 06:39 PM

As of right now, they're legally still required to do it on the 17th.

Oh it is the 17th of the month all right, but they are not going to be waiting until June. They seem to be saying D*mn the Congress--full speed ahead :hurah:

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   Jhon69

Jhon69

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,637 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 06:56 PM

We have a channel here in my area that has been running ads that say they WILL change over this month. I don't guess they care what the Congress says and I say to that channel :goodjob:

Ours already switched over here running warnings"If you can't see our station's picture you need a converter box".:sure:

END ANALOG NOW!!.:)

#43 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,631 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 03 February 2009 - 07:17 PM

As of right now, they're legally still required to do it on the 17th.

Over 600+ (643 last I heard) stations have announced they will be shutting down analog this month regardless of a delay.

None of the stations in my market have said anything about shutting down this month (regardless of a delay), but stations in my neighboring markets have announced this.

~Alan

#44 OFFLINE   Herdfan

Herdfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,883 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 08:03 PM

And DIRECTV has to be ready for stations whenever they switch, not when they are required to switch. :)

Haven't most of them transitioned over to digital for locals already?

http://www.mstv.org/...tschedalpha.pdf

#45 OFFLINE   bluegras

bluegras

Godfather

• Registered
  • 351 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 08:06 AM

CSpan will be broadcasting the DTV Transtion Bill at 9AM Central

#46 OFFLINE   dodge boy

dodge boy

R.I.P. Chris Henry

• Banned User
  • 4,231 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 08:47 AM

I have a couple questions.. What are the companies that bought those frequencies going to do with them?

Wouldn't their signal or what ever be able to be picked up on TVs with analog receivers?
My equipment:
1 HR22-100 leased
1 HR22-100 owned
1 HR23-700 owned
1 R22-100 owned
1 R22-200 owned

Slimline III with a 4X8 multiswitch and an SWM8
18" round dish with a 4X8 switch on the garage

#47 OFFLINE   hasan

hasan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,780 posts
  • LocationOgden, IA

Posted 04 February 2009 - 08:54 AM

I have a couple questions.. What are the companies that bought those frequencies going to do with them?

Wouldn't their signal or what ever be able to be picked up on TVs with analog receivers?

I doubt whether the modulation scheme, not to mention the "mode" of transmission is going to be consistent with either the amplitude modulated audio or video that characterized analog TV transmissions.

So, while the TV front end would see the RF signal, the demodulator stream in the TV's would "see"/"hear" nothing....except perhaps noise.

...hasan, N0AN

SlimLine5-SWiMLNB/DECA/WHDVR
HR44-700, WD20EURX 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Max 5 Enclosure

HR24-200, WD20EVDS 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Dock

HR24-200, H21-200. Samsung UN60C6400 60" LED/LCD

DirecTV since 1995

#48 OFFLINE   Albie

Albie

Godfather

• Registered
  • 284 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 09:32 AM

My husband has just informed me that ALL our local channels--not just one-- are running ads that they will all make the switch over this month. Again I say :goodjob: People have had plenty of time to get ready for this and if it is delayed people won't use the time to get ready they will think it isn't going to happen at all!

Good for them! And isn't it ironic that these stations are in the state where Senator Rockefeller (The most vocal proponent of delaying the transition) is from?

#49 OFFLINE   Albie

Albie

Godfather

• Registered
  • 284 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 09:35 AM

Most of the spectrum went to various cellphone companies who seem to be planning on implementing more voice and broadband data services on the spectrum.

#50 OFFLINE   Herdfan

Herdfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,883 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 10:51 AM

Good for them! And isn't it ironic that these stations are in the state where Senator Rockefeller (The most vocal proponent of delaying the transition) is from?

I think it is absolutely hilarious. But I will wait to see if they actually do it. I do think the the WVMH stations will switch as they are locally owned and don't have the deep pockets the Sinclair/Gray stations do.

One station, WOWK has already moved to its final frequency

Edited by Herdfan, 04 February 2009 - 11:12 AM.

#51 OFFLINE   billsharpe

billsharpe

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,131 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 04 February 2009 - 12:37 PM

I bought a converter box for my old bedroom TV set last week. Besides the digital translation the box allows analog pass-through. It will be interesting to see how many analog channels remain on February 17.

My OTA antenna is 35 years old. I replaced the twin-lead with coax last year and am getting about 50 digital signals in the LA area.
Bill

Family room: Sony Bravia KDL-40SL130
Living room: Sceptre 32 inch

#52 OFFLINE   mshaw2715

mshaw2715

Sports Fan

• Registered
  • 830 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in Washington

Posted 04 February 2009 - 05:27 PM

Congress may have passed a new date, but stations around here are going down anyway on February 17. All Spokane stations have confirmed 2/17/09 they are doing it so as to not confuse people with two different dates. Belo stations appear to have been the only hold outs until the announcment they made in the last 24hrs stating as a group they are going down on that date. This makes it clear that Kennewick, Richland, Pasco, WA market will be the same way. The only hold out here was kepr but because parts can't be replaced to their broken analog transmitter have resulted in them already changing over to digital only.

#53 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

High tech and loving it.

• Super Moderators
  • 20,245 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 05:39 PM

In today's House debate, a station was reported to have started replacing their analog backup transmitter already. If the main analog dies, they switch. Parts are too expensive or hard to find for repairs.
Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#54 OFFLINE   LoopinFool

LoopinFool

Icon

• Registered
  • 876 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 05:55 PM

I think it is absolutely hilarious. But I will wait to see if they actually do it. I do think the the WVMH stations will switch as they are locally owned and don't have the deep pockets the Sinclair/Gray stations do.

Sinclair -- deep pockets -- !rolling

#55 OFFLINE   evan_s

evan_s

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 06:16 PM

From the info posted http://www.rabbitear...fo/termlist.php all my locals will be cutting off analog signals this month which is fine with me.

#56 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,915 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 04 February 2009 - 07:24 PM

From the info posted http://www.rabbitear...fo/termlist.php all my locals will be cutting off analog signals this month which is fine with me.

That list was created before the recent congressional action, so is likely to change.

#57 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

High tech and loving it.

• Super Moderators
  • 20,245 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 07:43 PM

That list was created before the recent congressional action, so is likely to change.

I'm expecting many changes in the next week as local broadcasters associations decide when they will transition. These are the ones that have filed todate. :)
Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#58 OFFLINE   mreposter

mreposter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,700 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 08:03 PM

I have a feeling that this is only going to make the situation more confusing for people, not less.
.......... There are none so blind as those who can not see it in HD.
.......... Directv customer since January 2000.

#59 OFFLINE   Jeremy W

Jeremy W

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,447 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 08:36 PM

I have a feeling that this is only going to make the situation more confusing for people, not less.

It will. No good will come out of it, this was a bad move in every way.

spam firewall