Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

What are my installation options?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Cuprous

Cuprous

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 05:14 PM

First off, let me say that I am completely new to satellite but am thinking of switching to direct TV since I am tired of the constant bill increases from Comcast.

My house, which is located in southern NH, is 3 years old and was wired for cable, single coax to each room. I would like to add 2 HD DVRs and a SD receiver that I can move to certain rooms depending on the scenario. The HD DVRs will be located on opposite ends of the house, one in the family room and the other in a second floor bedroom. I feel that a SWM would be the best option because I do not want to run a second coax to the HD DVRs nor do I want a wire put through the outside wall into the rooms. Is it possible to request a SWM on a new install or does the situation dictate? Also, am I better off installing a slimline dish with a SWM in the basement or a SWM lnb dish (heard that there are issues with the swm lnb and cold weather. Is this the case?).

Is it possible to determine what equipment I would be receiving before I sign up for an install? Any other thoughts on how I should plan out the install?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,089 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 06:07 PM

YEP, Hire a local Directv installation company to do your install. DIRECTV cannot and will not allow you to specify what type dish, or model receiver you get, nor will they do custom installs on their "free installation" program. What you are wanting is definantly a custom installation.

BTW, the faulty SWM lnbs are from one company. There is a thread on here, search swm and cold. The inside switch is not a problem.

#3 OFFLINE   RACJ2

RACJ2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,841 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 08:33 PM

Although you can't request the SWM LNB, most new installations are getting them. I had the SWM LNB installed last September in TX and my brother did as well last November in NY. If you have patience, you can wait to see what they plan to install the day they arrive. If they have the SWM LNB, great. If not and they won't install it, cancel the installation and do what Davenlr suggested.
HR34-700, HR22-100

#4 OFFLINE   netraa

netraa

Godfather

• Registered
  • 483 posts

Posted 24 January 2009 - 08:10 AM

Although you can't request the SWM LNB, most new installations are getting them. I had the SWM LNB installed last September in TX and my brother did as well last November in NY. If you have patience, you can wait to see what they plan to install the day they arrive. If they have the SWM LNB, great. If not and they won't install it, cancel the installation and do what Davenlr suggested.

Actually, don't do this.

Even if you do get lucky, and they are not still suspending SWM installs up north since the cold weather issue revealed itself and get a SWM install, the technician is more than likely not going to hook up the system so that you can move the rcvr around willy-nilly to whatever connection inside the house you want for free. Also playing CSR roulette with the installer jacks with his paycheck.

#5 OFFLINE   firefighter4evr

firefighter4evr

Legend

• Registered
  • 233 posts

Posted 24 January 2009 - 08:26 AM

Actually, don't do this.

Even if you do get lucky, and they are not still suspending SWM installs up north since the cold weather issue revealed itself and get a SWM install, the technician is more than likely not going to hook up the system so that you can move the rcvr around willy-nilly to whatever connection inside the house you want for free. Also playing CSR roulette with the installer jacks with his paycheck.

I agree.... your best bet would be to hire a local installer/contractor. Have them come out and do a walk though with you.. explain EVERYTHING you would like done or would like to do. With a good company they should hook you up the way you would like..

Also, make sure in your current runs to each room, they are direct runs from a central location and not split or "piggy backed" from one room to another like cable companies commonly do. If they are... that could be another problem:grin:

My Setup

Slimline 3-LNB Dish
WB68 Muti-Switch
Living Room: R16-300
Master Bedroom: D12-500
Kids Bedroom: D12-500

Proudly Non Comcastic since 2007

#6 OFFLINE   RACJ2

RACJ2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,841 posts

Posted 24 January 2009 - 10:42 AM

Actually, don't do this.

Good point, I wasn't thinking about the fact that the installers are independent contractors. He could ask about the equipment when the installer calls and if it isn't SWM, he could cancel. Usually installers are over booked, and by cancelling it might even enable them to meet a promise time they would have missed. Would that scenario affect the installers paycheck?
HR34-700, HR22-100

spam firewall