Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Review: My cheap Wireless Bridge solution...

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 11:03 AM

Just wondered if anyone ever really thought about this, security?

As I noted in my original post, this was for my parents, who were using a Pacific Bell/SBC/AT&T-provided combo DSL Gateway/WiFi-G Router, with encryption limited to WEP. Even though the bridge supports up to WPA-2, the DSL/Router was the limiting factor, and my parents have no intention of changing that. They don't do anything critical or financial-related on their computers, so the danger of hackers is low. Also, the usable range of the DSL/Router isn't all that great, which further limits someone from hacking in.

But security is always something to keep in mind.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#22 OFFLINE   the1who

the1who

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 09:20 PM

As I noted in my original post, this was for my parents, who were using a Pacific Bell/SBC/AT&T-provided combo DSL Gateway/WiFi-G Router, with encryption limited to WEP. Even though the bridge supports up to WPA-2, the DSL/Router was the limiting factor, and my parents have no intention of changing that. They don't do anything critical or financial-related on their computers, so the danger of hackers is low. Also, the usable range of the DSL/Router isn't all that great, which further limits someone from hacking in.

But security is always something to keep in mind.

Understand, wasn't really directed at you or anyone in general. But you know for those that I know who live in apartment complexes, it's not hacking a computer but using the network for their benefit that is illegal, which doesn't necessarily compromise the computer you know. And if someone was more technically able, they could adjust the power of the router as I have done. I have it set on the lowest and I can access it anywhere in this duplex. I haven't done a walk outside yet to test it's range, but sitting on the the front corner by the computers, it probably has a good range to the street curb.

That's one thing that I was reading about the Linksys adapter, the WPS security feature. There are supposedly like 4 different levels with WPS, one being the highest, which would require the clients and hosts to be the same manufacturer; to take advantage of that highest WPS level that is. But merely in general for anyone that would read or search for this, they'd have something to reference to keep in mind. As I stated, I was only searching for more information amongst this forum for my model number and this thread came up.

#23 OFFLINE   jwanner

jwanner

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 05:17 AM

the same for all device data rates so it seems to be a moot point when comparing them.
GR - Sony 60" WEGA HDTV - HR20-100
LR - RCA F38310 - HD21
BR - Viewsonic 20" HDTV - HD21
SR - Panasonic 27" Digital TV - Hughes HIRD-E11
Buffalo MIMO Wireless Switch
Windows Vista
Wii Media Server
NetFlix ROKU
Toshiba HD DVD

Protected By... spam firewall...And...