Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Boston PBS WGBH2 in HD

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   CapeCodder

CapeCodder

Legend

• Registered
  • 117 posts

Posted 24 January 2009 - 04:41 PM

Looks like GBH2 is now broadcasting in HD (GBH2 HD logo has popped up on bottom of the screen) but Dtv is not taking an HD feed from them. We're still getting SD/480. :confused:

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   oldschoolecw

oldschoolecw

HarpoonIPA

• Registered
  • 1,502 posts
  • LocationHalifax, MA

Posted 24 January 2009 - 04:57 PM

It's not in HD as of yet, what you are seeing is the bug that they put up from time to time.

LG Cinema Screen 47LM7600
Pioneer VSX-1120
X1 unit and yes it's Comcastic
Comcast Triple Play

#3 OFFLINE   jimmyv2000

jimmyv2000

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,014 posts
  • LocationManchester NH

Posted 24 January 2009 - 05:31 PM

Looks like GBH2 is now broadcasting in HD (GBH2 HD logo has popped up on bottom of the screen) but Dtv is not taking an HD feed from them. We're still getting SD/480. :confused:

they are carrying the digital channel 2.2 which is 480i sd:(

I'm still waiting for the Hd(2.1) feed to be added myself
The wife wanits the antenna in the walk-up attic gone the day ch 2 in HD is added
Back when they had the DTV test D* was still carrying the old anaolg feed and ch2 failed,the LRF in sommerville was recently upgraded.
They are carrying WMUR-DT but its 480I sd as well.
The last test done last week channels 2,9&11 now pass
Jimmy

#4 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,981 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 24 January 2009 - 09:24 PM

In some areas they are picking up the HD signal, but down-converting to 480i for the SD version of the channel. KCTS 9 in Seattle shows HD on the logo but Directv hasn't started carrying the station in HD yet. They added a bunch of PBS stations (in both large and small markets) in HD late last year and I suspect we will see more soon.

#5 OFFLINE   CapeCodder

CapeCodder

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 117 posts

Posted 25 January 2009 - 12:33 PM

I should have added that the president of GBH2 was on a local program (Greater Boston) a couple of weeks ago along with the president of Boston's WCVB Channel 5 and admitted that the station (GBH) doesn't have any HD cameras yet. (Do I hear another "special" campaign for donations coming?") WCVB has had pretty much 100% local HD content for a least a year now (in fact, I think, long before its ABC network went HD). That said, that's no reason the GBH programs in HD content from other sources shouldn't be available. D* should get to their HD feed.

#6 OFFLINE   InterMurph

InterMurph

AllStar

• Registered
  • 85 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 09:51 AM

Actually, WGBH has all of their HD programming on 2.2, while 2.1 is all standard-def.

I finally figured this out after recording the Antiques Roadshow on 2.1 for a year. One day my wife tried to tune to 2.1 and got 2.2 instead, and there it was in glorious HD.

#7 OFFLINE   jimmyv2000

jimmyv2000

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,014 posts
  • LocationManchester NH

Posted 19 February 2009 - 12:07 PM

OTA: 2.1 is HD, 2.2 is SD

Comcrap in town 2.1 non existant 2.2 HD (no box)
channel 2 with box SD channel 802 with box HD
Strange how comcast has remapped this
Jimmy

Protected By... spam firewall...And...