Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

First post - new DirecTV subscriber

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   kjjb0204

kjjb0204

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 24 January 2009 - 09:53 PM

Hi all. Just got DirecTV installed today after having cable my entire life. Just thought I would check in with a few early questions. Checked around the FAQ and searched, but there's almost TOO MUCH info for me to find specifics.

1. Did I get good equipment? HR22-100 and the Slimline-3S(SWM)

2. What is a transponder and why are there up to 32 of them per satellite?

3. Is there a way to make SD programming automatically stretch to fill my 16:9 TV? I have a plasma and I'm worried about the black bars on the sides burning in if I'm watching a long program.

4. Is the slow scrolling through the guide while holding the CHAN/PAGE button pressed something I just have to learn to live with? Comcast guide would scroll through 100 channels in 2 seconds if I held the button.

I guess that's it for now. Thanks!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   bhelton71

bhelton71

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '09

• Registered
  • 2,390 posts

Posted 24 January 2009 - 10:30 PM

Hi all. Just got DirecTV installed today after having cable my entire life. Just thought I would check in with a few early questions. Checked around the FAQ and searched, but there's almost TOO MUCH info for me to find specifics.

3. Is there a way to make SD programming automatically stretch to fill my 16:9 TV? I have a plasma and I'm worried about the black bars on the sides burning in if I'm watching a long program.

4. Is the slow scrolling through the guide while holding the CHAN/PAGE button pressed something I just have to learn to live with? Comcast guide would scroll through 100 channels in 2 seconds if I held the button.

I believe the swm3 is the latest dish design, and the HR2x's are all identical in functionality. The newest 'in the wild' model is the HR23 - which basically is a cost reduced model compared to the 21/22 but has the same size hdd as the 22.

You can press format on your remote to cycle thru 'stretch' and 'pillarbox' settings to get rid of the bars on any true 4:3 programming. However if it is a 4:3 picture on a black overlay that is originating from the broadcaster - I think your options are limited to using a zoom function on your tv.

The transponder question is a little out my league - but if I understand correctly it is a physical device on the satellite that transmits a group of channels. I believe it may be some sort of wave guide. Also I believe the satellites have a lot more than 32 - but that is the number DirecTV uses in practice, the others being reserved as spares or spot beams.

The guide is what it is. If you have your video settings on 'Native' you may try turning that off - it does speed it up some, but I don't think it will go thru 100 channels in 2 secs.

#3 OFFLINE   dettxw

dettxw

MRVing

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,064 posts
  • LocationChoctaw, OK

Posted 24 January 2009 - 10:36 PM

1 - The HR22-100 is a standard HD DVR, I think it comes with a little bigger hard drive than the stock drive in my HR20-700s. The HR20-700s are no longer made but they have an OTA tuner and I just added external 1TB eSATA hard drives. :)
http://www.dbstalk.c...150#post1840150
Also, the HR20-700s are the CE unit of choice.

There are reports that the SWM3 is susceptible to having problems in really cold weather.
http://www.dbstalk.c...wm cold weather

2 - There is in the ballpark of 6 channels per transponder, search enough and you can find out for sure or someone who knows will post. Here is a place where you can find a transponder map.

3 - Stretched SD!? God forbid! Don't do it!!
Don't worry about plasma burn-in. Just don't leave the TV on 24/7.

4 - Look and see if these undocumented tips & tricks help any.

Welcome to DBSTalk!

Edited by dettxw, 24 January 2009 - 10:45 PM.

-Steve- Subscriber since Sept 1998  My Complete Setup 

SWM16 / HR44-500 (2TB & AM21) / HR34-700 (3TB & AM21) / HR24-500 (2TB eSATA) / C31 via WCCK / C41 x2 / C41W / H25-700

#4 OFFLINE   kjjb0204

kjjb0204

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 25 January 2009 - 11:06 AM

Thanks for your replies! I don't know if I'll get into the technical side as to why and how it works, as long as it works. Picture is great. It will take me some time to memorize the channel numbers, and the slow guide will take some patience, but all-in-all, saving $60 per month for more HD is totally worth it!

#5 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 25 January 2009 - 12:55 PM

A transponder is a transmitter that transmits a signal in response to a received signal. In this case, a signal is sent from a ground station to the satellite on one set of frequencies, and the satellite converts that signal to (in this case) a lower frequency and sends it back down to Earth. Each transponder is like a radio or TV station; it transmits its information on a set, known frequency that can be picked up with the proper reception equipment. Just like when you tune your radio to 101.5 FM, or your TV to channel 7.

In the early days of satellite, the signals were analog, and only one TV channel was possible per transponder. Most early satellites only had 16 transponders, meaning they could carry 16 TV channel feeds. Later satellites used different, higher frequencies and had 24 transponders, and eventually even higher frequencies with 32 transponders.

The other big change was digital TV signals. By converting signals to digital, and using "lossy" digital compression, it was possible to fit multiple TV channels on each transponder. Reducing the resolution of the TV signals, and/or increasing the rate of compression, allows more channels to fit on a transponder, but at the expense of picture quality. Sat TV providers (and increasingly cable and Uverse) have to balance their customers' desire for lots of channels with the desire for good picture quality, and each provider has found their own balance.

A good resource for finding which channels are transmitted on which sat/transponder can be found at Lyngsat:

http://www.lyngsat.c...es/america.html

While not always 100% up to date, it's usually pretty accurate.

#6 OFFLINE   bakers12

bakers12

What? Me hurry?

• Registered
  • 1,667 posts
  • LocationChicago - W. Suburbs

Posted 31 January 2009 - 03:54 PM

You can turn off the slow scrolling in the Guide by going into the setup menu (Menu -> Parental, Fav's & Setup -> System Setup -> Display. Select the Scrolling Effects option and turn it Off.

House #1:
HR20-700 -> LG 42LH40 LCD (HDMI)
HR23-700, AM21N -> Slingbox Solo (component)
and AverTV HD DVR C027 card on Lenovo desktop (HDMI)
HR23-700, AM21 -> Samsung HL-R4266W (HDMI)
AU9 SWM5

House #2:
HR34-700 ->
Insignia NS-55L260A13 Rev E (HDMI)
C31-700 -> Sansui SLED1980E (HDMI)
AU9 SWM5

More details are available here.

#7 OFFLINE   bakers12

bakers12

What? Me hurry?

• Registered
  • 1,667 posts
  • LocationChicago - W. Suburbs

Posted 31 January 2009 - 04:02 PM

I found that if I set my TV's aspect ratio to 16:9 and use the Format button on the remote to select Original format, then the picture will always fill the screen (personally, I prefer Pillar Box). As stated already, if the pillar bars are added in by a content provider, you're stuck with them.

House #1:
HR20-700 -> LG 42LH40 LCD (HDMI)
HR23-700, AM21N -> Slingbox Solo (component)
and AverTV HD DVR C027 card on Lenovo desktop (HDMI)
HR23-700, AM21 -> Samsung HL-R4266W (HDMI)
AU9 SWM5

House #2:
HR34-700 ->
Insignia NS-55L260A13 Rev E (HDMI)
C31-700 -> Sansui SLED1980E (HDMI)
AU9 SWM5

More details are available here.

#8 OFFLINE   kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,942 posts
  • LocationOutside Portland, ME

Posted 31 January 2009 - 04:14 PM

Where in New England are you? Just curious about your locals with the SWM3. Must be in Boston if you're getting ALL of the locals (Including the SD ones).

#9 OFFLINE   davring

davring

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,400 posts

Posted 31 January 2009 - 04:17 PM

As stated already, if the pillar bars are added in by a content provider, you're stuck with them.

Some TV sets will let you "zoom" which will eliminate the pillar bars along with the top and bottom portion of the picture, if you prefer.

#10 OFFLINE   bwaldron

bwaldron

Impossible Dreamer

• Registered
  • 5,524 posts

Posted 31 January 2009 - 10:25 PM

Some TV sets will let you "zoom" which will eliminate the pillar bars along with the top and bottom portion of the picture, if you prefer.

Correct, many recent HDTVs allow use of their various "stretch" modes to HD as well as SD channels.

HR23-700 --> Samsung UN65F6350AF LCD
HR23-700 --> JVC JLC47BC3002 LCD
H24-200 -->
Panasonic TH-50PX60U plasma

#11 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,100 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 31 January 2009 - 10:42 PM

Burn-in problems aren't much of an issue with recent Plasma sets. Occasionally I can see some effects after viewing pillar box content, but it goes away after a few minutes of full-screen viewing. OTOH, I hate stretched programming.

The HR22 and HR23 aren't very different. The HR23 has a wideband tuner which doesn't require B-Band Converters, but with a SWM system you don't need them anyway.

The cold temperature problem is with WNC LNBs. Eagle Aspen LNBs seem to do OK.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...