Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Closed Circuit Sports of Yesteryear

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   clayface1000

clayface1000

Mentor

• Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 25 January 2009 - 01:55 PM

As a kid growing up in the 60s, I remember seeing that major boxing events, such as an Ali-Frazier fight, would only be available for viewing on closed circuit TV in local movie theaters.

Being the only sports lover in my family, I never had the opportunity to see any of these telecasts. I've always wondered how the events were projected. That is, being the 60s, what kind of projectors were they using to display an image large enough to fill a movie theater screen? And how was the picture quality? It couldn't have been very good. Even the video tapes of these fights that get shown today on ESPN Classic, etc., don't look so hot.

I worked at a high end electronics store in the mid 70s when the first front projector CRT televisions for homes were being introduced and they were dim and blurry. This was more than a decade after the period to which I'm referring, insofar as the theatrical showings are concerned. It really makes me wonder just what the experience was like with images blown up many times this size. Anyone have any recollections?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Art7220

Art7220

Godfather

• Registered
  • 337 posts

Posted 25 January 2009 - 05:17 PM

Well, I saw WrestleMania 3 and 4 at closed circuit. Three wasn't shown on cable where I lived and when 4 was on cable the next year, not too many were at the venue.

The PQ wasn't very good like you said. It was dim and not too sharp.

If you were rich enough to own a Big Dish back then, those events were in the clear. Nowadays of course, cable and DBS killed closed circuit.

#3 OFFLINE   Msguy

Msguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,572 posts

Posted 25 January 2009 - 06:08 PM

Back in the 80's I remember going with a friend to see Wrestlemania's at place that had Closed Circuit TV. You bought a ticket at the local Theater that was carrying it and you watched the event on the Big Screen. Back in the Middle and late 80's i think i paid like $25 to get in to see the event. By the time the Early 90's rolled around I was losing interest in Wrestling and i ordered my last Wrestling Event on the old Viewers Choice Pay Per View (Early Pay Per View) Now I don't even watch Wrestling anymore and the prices are outrageous for the pay per views. I'm just a NFL Football and MLB Baseball fan now and those Packages suit my needs.

#4 OFFLINE   Pepster

Pepster

Legend

• Registered
  • 212 posts

Posted 25 January 2009 - 10:48 PM

The first major closed circuit PPV sporting event that comes to mind for me in my lifetime is Ali vs. Frazier I. How major was this? If you simply google the very date (March 8, 1971) of the event without even mentioning what you're looking for, 80% of the first 20 things that pop up will have something to do with that fight. Back then, it didn't come on TV the next week and I think they were charging about $20 to go to a movie to see the fight. Months later, you'd see not the whole fight, but highlights of the fight sandwiched in between your double feature (yes, you could spend your WHOLE Saturday afternoon at the movies).

Edited by Pepster, 25 January 2009 - 11:51 PM.

spam firewall