Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DNS Network Channels Information!!!

• Please log in to reply
244 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   Lodi25

Lodi25

Legend

• Registered
  • 134 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 10:34 PM

That would violate the terms of his service with Directv.

Yes I understand that. But I was just wondering if that would work or not since the LA AND NYC's CBS, ABC, NBC and FOX are on a national beam or whatever you call it. It's a simply yes or no question.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#62 OFFLINE   carl.066

carl.066

Mentor

• Registered
  • 41 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 10:47 PM

Yes I understand that. But I was just wondering if that would work or not since the LA AND NYC's CBS, ABC, NBC and FOX are on a national beam or whatever you call it. It's a simply yes or no question.

Yes, it would work. But as stated, channels in the 80s are going away soon.

#63 OFFLINE   Jimmy 440

Jimmy 440

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,665 posts
  • LocationMonmouth County NJ

Posted 05 July 2009 - 08:00 PM

This whole DNS thing is interesting.I know a guy in Hoboken NJ just 2 miles from the Empire State Building in Manhattan & he has all 4 nets from LA in SD !

JIMMY

DirecTv 1999
Olevia 42" HD
HR22-100
--------------------
NHL CI
MLB EI

#64 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,373 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 09 July 2009 - 03:47 AM

This whole DNS thing is interesting.I know a guy in Hoboken NJ just 2 miles from the Empire State Building in Manhattan & he has all 4 nets from LA in SD !

Im gonna take a guess that he has had them for quite some time though.

#65 OFFLINE   videojanitor

videojanitor

DBSTalk Club Member

• Registered
  • 395 posts

Posted 11 July 2009 - 03:21 AM

An interesting story: I've had West Coast CBS HD DNS for many years -- around this time last year, I (along with many others here), started receiving automated phone calls and letters telling me that it was going to be shut off. I kept waiting for that to happen, all the while reading messages here from people who were indeed losing the channels -- but it stayed on. Still have it 'til this day. I had written waivers from three different CBS stations -- not sure if that made a difference.

Tonight I received another one of those phone calls. It's been close to a year since the last one. The wording sounds exactly the same, and it cited August 16th as the cutoff date. Another false alarm? I guess I'll find out! Anybody else get one of these calls lately?

#66 OFFLINE   David MacLeod

David MacLeod

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,689 posts

Posted 11 July 2009 - 06:35 AM

An interesting story: I've had West Coast CBS HD DNS for many years -- around this time last year, I (along with many others here), started receiving automated phone calls and letters telling me that it was going to be shut off. I kept waiting for that to happen, all the while reading messages here from people who were indeed losing the channels -- but it stayed on. Still have it 'til this day. I had written waivers from three different CBS stations -- not sure if that made a difference.

Tonight I received another one of those phone calls. It's been close to a year since the last one. The wording sounds exactly the same, and it cited August 16th as the cutoff date. Another false alarm? I guess I'll find out! Anybody else get one of these calls lately?

got one last night only it used date of August 14.
Dave MacLeod
S.I.H.

#67 OFFLINE   bigbw

bigbw

AllStar

• Registered
  • 117 posts

Posted 11 July 2009 - 07:06 AM

Interesting thing happened to me.. I lived in Tucson AZ and applied for waivers many years ago and for some unknown reason all four networks granted them. I had both SD and HD for a long time, then one of the HD's got canceled.. Someabout about being in the time zone next to the west coast.. Earlier this year I moved to NW Arkansas (no comments please) and used the movers package to get a new dish installed, when i was setting this up the csr asked me if I wanted to change programming. I said no, but I mentioned I figured they would turn off my DNS since I was moving from the DMA my waivers were granted in. The CSR said no, I was grandfathered in and would always have DNS unless I cancelled them. I was close to speechless, but was able to say I still wanted them.. I am still shocked that the waivers I got in Tucson followed me, but not complaining at all..

#68 OFFLINE   Jimmy 440

Jimmy 440

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,665 posts

Posted 11 July 2009 - 07:12 AM

Im gonna take a guess that he has had them for quite some time though.

He got them in May of 2000.It was exactly 1 year to the date,May 1st,that I I became a D subscriber.He applied for them and got them,all 4 ! His terrace overlooks the Hudson River and Midtown.

Edited by Jimmy 440, 11 July 2009 - 07:18 AM.

JIMMY

DirecTv 1999
Olevia 42" HD
HR22-100
--------------------
NHL CI
MLB EI

#69 OFFLINE   Lodi25

Lodi25

Legend

• Registered
  • 134 posts

Posted 11 July 2009 - 10:34 AM

He got them in May of 2000.It was exactly 1 year to the date,May 1st,that I I became a D subscriber.He applied for them and got them,all 4 ! His terrace overlooks the Hudson River and Midtown.

Are you sure he didn't "MOVE" to LA to get them? :D

#70 OFFLINE   videojanitor

videojanitor

DBSTalk Club Member

• Registered
  • 395 posts

Posted 11 July 2009 - 11:57 AM

got one last night only it used date of August 14.

My mistake. I listened to it again and it said August 14th, not 16th as I originally stated. And I just received an email about it as well:

As one of our most valued customers, we hope that you are now enjoying your local high-definition channels from DIRECTV.

As you know, until recently, the only way you could receive HD feeds of ABC, NBC, CBS and/or FOX was to add our Distant Network Services (DNS) broadcast from Los Angeles or New York.

Now that we are rolling out local HD channels to more and more cities across the country, our network agreements require that we disconnect the HD DNS feeds from customers in cities where we offer local HD channels.

What This Means to You:

• On August 14 we must remove the duplicate HD DNS feeds of ABC, NBC, CBS and/or FOX. These channels are found in the 80s or 390s ranges.
• There is nothing you need to do.
• There is no impact to your monthly bill.

We wanted to let you know of this change in advance because you are one of our most important customers. Thank you for being a valued member of the DIRECTV family.

Sincerely,
DIRECTV Customer Service

Edited by videojanitor, 11 July 2009 - 12:02 PM.

#71 OFFLINE   videojanitor

videojanitor

DBSTalk Club Member

• Registered
  • 395 posts

Posted 11 July 2009 - 11:59 AM

The CSR said no, I was grandfathered in and would always have DNS unless I cancelled them.

That is pretty amazing -- I would have thought the waivers you obtained were specific to the stations you received in Tucson. Hmmmm. Well, there doesn't seem to be any shortage of different experiences when it comes to this topic!

#72 OFFLINE   blc

blc

Legend

• Registered
  • 122 posts

Posted 11 July 2009 - 06:19 PM

My guess is that DirecTV is "clearing out" all the digital DNS prior to the renewal of SHVERA. The reason is, each time the law has been amended, those who were "lawfully" receiving DNS were allowed to keep the DNS service. Thus, the NAB is likely pushing for "clearing out" as many DNS customers as possible prior to congress passing the renewal.

#73 OFFLINE   Jimmy 440

Jimmy 440

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,665 posts

Posted 11 July 2009 - 06:34 PM

Are you sure he didn't "MOVE" to LA to get them? :D

Nope.My friend down in Point Pleasant NJ also gets 3 of the 4.She's only 40 miles from NYC.

JIMMY

DirecTv 1999
Olevia 42" HD
HR22-100
--------------------
NHL CI
MLB EI

#74 OFFLINE   Lodi25

Lodi25

Legend

• Registered
  • 134 posts

Posted 11 July 2009 - 10:23 PM

Question! What happens if congress dose not pass and vote on SHVERA by the end of the year???

#75 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 11 July 2009 - 10:27 PM

Question! What happens if congress dose not pass and vote on SHVERA by the end of the year???

We would lose the rights regarding broadcasting of local channels and it would impact some other aspects of retrans as well. It would also mean that DBS could drop local stations they didn't want to carry in certain markets. There are a lot of webs that would come undone and overall it would be very bad for everyone involved.

#76 OFFLINE   Lodi25

Lodi25

Legend

• Registered
  • 134 posts

Posted 11 July 2009 - 10:32 PM

So it would mean DirecTV could not carry locals for anybody? Kind of a dumb question I know. Congress just seems busy with everything else going on. I just hope it doesn't get "lost".

#77 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,373 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 12 July 2009 - 01:46 PM

That would never happen. They have already had a couple of congressional meetings. I kind of look for it to be setteled in the next month or two but the deadline is November 2009.

Edited by joshjr, 12 July 2009 - 01:51 PM.

#78 OFFLINE   Lodi25

Lodi25

Legend

• Registered
  • 134 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 11:49 PM

Anybody know what satellites the DNS channels are on? 99, 101, 103, 110, 119??

#79 OFFLINE   gonzalo8575

gonzalo8575

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 18 July 2009 - 01:16 AM

Satellite 99.

#80 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,373 posts