Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DNS Network Channels Information!!!

• Please log in to reply
270 replies to this topic

#76 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,446 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 12 July 2009 - 01:46 PM

Question! What happens if congress dose not pass and vote on SHVERA by the end of the year???

That would never happen. They have already had a couple of congressional meetings. I kind of look for it to be setteled in the next month or two but the deadline is November 2009.

Edited by joshjr, 12 July 2009 - 01:51 PM.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#77 OFFLINE   Lodi25

Lodi25

Legend

• Registered
  • 136 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 11:49 PM

Anybody know what satellites the DNS channels are on? 99, 101, 103, 110, 119??

#78 OFFLINE   gonzalo8575

gonzalo8575

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 18 July 2009 - 01:16 AM

Satellite 99.

#79 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,446 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 18 July 2009 - 07:56 AM

Satellite 99.

SD DNS is on 99 also?

#80 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,265 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 18 July 2009 - 09:27 AM

SD DNS is on 101.

#81 OFFLINE   Lodi25

Lodi25

Legend

• Registered
  • 136 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 02:20 AM

Satellite 99.

Sat 99 © or Sat 99 (s) ???

#82 OFFLINE   gonzalo8575

gonzalo8575

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 02:28 AM

99©.

If i recall correctly they are on transponders 1,7,8,9,12 and 13.

Edited by gonzalo8575, 28 July 2009 - 02:33 AM.
added more info.

#83 OFFLINE   slowchange

slowchange

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 09:05 AM

Can someone explain to me why my next door neighbor who has Fios (in central NJ) is able to get both Philly and NY feeds of all four majors included in a base package yet I'm not allowed to on DirecTv?

#84 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,446 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 31 July 2009 - 04:52 PM

Can someone explain to me why my next door neighbor who has Fios (in central NJ) is able to get both Philly and NY feeds of all four majors included in a base package yet I'm not allowed to on DirecTv?

Because the laws for cable and satellite are not the same. Congress is gonna rule on a few things soon and it should help most customers but probably not with getting 2 different markets.

#85 OFFLINE   bjlc

bjlc

Icon

• Registered
  • 987 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 08:31 PM

I am grandfathered in for SD DNS channels.. but I don't get the CW on my locals via D*.. because I don't subscribe to locals.. so I asked to get the CW from the DNS side.. so far.. no answer.. its been since Wednesday..Its not like its some big shakes.. but it would be nice to have..

opinions.. suggestions.. comments.. please..

#86 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,446 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 31 July 2009 - 08:56 PM

I am grandfathered in for SD DNS channels.. but I don't get the CW on my locals via D*.. because I don't subscribe to locals.. so I asked to get the CW from the DNS side.. so far.. no answer.. its been since Wednesday..Its not like its some big shakes.. but it would be nice to have..

opinions.. suggestions.. comments.. please..

If there is a CW affiliate there then it can take up to 30 days for them to respond to your waiver. The best way to tell is by logging into your account and looking at my programming to see if its been added. Once its approved it should be aftivated pretty fast.

#87 OFFLINE   bjlc

bjlc

Icon

• Registered
  • 987 posts

Posted 04 August 2009 - 10:57 AM

One I am grandfathered in for my SD channels. but calling today, the lady offered me my local channels. Stating" that since I am grandfathered, I would not lose my east and west coast channels."... Ugghh....

so I asked her to check and make sure.. well.. I kinda spoke to a supervisor.. and YOU SHOULDN'T LOSE THEM..

Shouldn't and WON'T are two very different words.. and I don't want to screw anything up..

I LOVE EAST AND WEST COAST. LOVE THEM TO DEATH. its a true deal breaker with me.. and my wife would divorce me if I lost them by doing something stupid..

Help..
comments.. suggestions.. STATEMENTS OF FACTS..please and not opinions..

#88 OFFLINE   bjlc

bjlc

Icon

• Registered
  • 987 posts

Posted 04 August 2009 - 04:36 PM

SO for kicks and Giggles, I called the office of the President.. and guess what, She didn't know the DEFINITIVE ANSWER TO MY QUESTION.. she Could not tell me that if I took my locals that I WOULD LOSE MY DNS networks.. and I told her that we are all scared as heck to call them..

and that I did not give her all my personal information.. and then she said Sherva... which we know AT THIS TIME, doesn't count.. but She didn't know anything about that either..

and so it was a vicious dance.. She trying to get my personal information and me trying to get a real live answer.. which she said, that she could not give me..

So if the OFFICE OF THE PRESIDENT OF THE COMPANY DOES NOT KNOW.. who in the heck does..

at first she said.. yes.. either or .. either locals or distants but not both.. but then she got more information.. and then she 'Couldn't tell me".. not a locked down drag out answer.. so 20 minutes later.. that's what I report..

NO ONE KNOWS .. or at least wants to say.. not the bottom line.. poured in concrete ANSWER.. can you have your locals and the DNS channels as well.

its like the Catholic Church.. Its a MYSTERY..

#89 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,446 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 04 August 2009 - 05:32 PM

SO for kicks and Giggles, I called the office of the President.. and guess what, She didn't know the DEFINITIVE ANSWER TO MY QUESTION.. she Could not tell me that if I took my locals that I WOULD LOSE MY DNS networks.. and I told her that we are all scared as heck to call them..

and that I did not give her all my personal information.. and then she said Sherva... which we know AT THIS TIME, doesn't count.. but She didn't know anything about that either..

and so it was a vicious dance.. She trying to get my personal information and me trying to get a real live answer.. which she said, that she could not give me..

So if the OFFICE OF THE PRESIDENT OF THE COMPANY DOES NOT KNOW.. who in the heck does..

at first she said.. yes.. either or .. either locals or distants but not both.. but then she got more information.. and then she 'Couldn't tell me".. not a locked down drag out answer.. so 20 minutes later.. that's what I report..

NO ONE KNOWS .. or at least wants to say.. not the bottom line.. poured in concrete ANSWER.. can you have your locals and the DNS channels as well.

its like the Catholic Church.. Its a MYSTERY..

Well for starters its the SHVERA act and it says if you had DNS feeds since 2004 that you can keep them after locals are available to you. The SHVERA act is good until November-December this year. Congress is in the process of making some changes to it but nothing is final yet. Sounds like she did not want to say but she also needed to know if you had the DNS feeds since 04. If not then you can not get both. Even if she didnt know I know for a fact that she could of asked someone in that office.

If need be I have a email addy from someone I gurantee you can get an answer. Let me know if you need it and I will be happy to provide. I understand your hesitance but look at it this way, if you give them your account info you have not changed anything yet so they cant make the change without your permission.

If I was you and I had really had DNS since 04 I would not hesitate to call them back and give the the account info for an answer to your question. Hell I will call them and ask.

#90 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,446 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 04 August 2009 - 05:51 PM

Okay I called the VP of CS's office and spoke with Carrie. She had to look it up but what she said is that if you had DNS before November 1st 1999 then you can not keep it but if you got it after Nov. 1st 1999 then yes you could keep it and get the locals. Like I said dont be afraid to give them your account info, just make sure you tell them not to make any changes without your approval.

Im pretty sure she is wrong on the date thing as I think you had to have them before Nov.1 2004 to keep them but hey if she is right then I can keep mine when ever they finally get some locals here. Either way if you can get someone to do it now then you should consider jumping on it.

I do understand your concern though. I have thoght about it over and over and I just dont know if I will take my locals over DNS. I like being able to record off the west coast. Now if they start offering a HD DVR with like 4 tuners then I might reconsider. Thats really the main reason I would not want to part with them. Yes its nice for sports programming but I only have one HD DNS feed and the rest in SD except for CBS so not as nice. But when you have HD via OTA to the DVR anyways really no big deal.

If Congress dont get it right this time then I am gonna put up a huge Channel Master antenna to get locals from about 80 miles away and call it good. I might to that anyways but I just hate to spend the money now if Congress is gonna help me get the Tulsa locals I want anyways.

Edited by joshjr, 04 August 2009 - 06:15 PM.

#91 OFFLINE   bjlc

bjlc

Icon

• Registered
  • 987 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 08:36 AM

if you look at my JOIN DATE here.. Aug 2004.. I have had DNS since 2002.. that alone lets you know where I stand..

for me, DNS is the deal breaker.. I can put up with anything.. but now that I have had the service for going on 7 years.. who wants to give it up.. plus you always know that you are going to get true network service AND STEREO. meaning its a network program, its going to be seen on network time.. that doesn't always happen with a local channel. they seem to want to broadcast their local stuff... some times in prime time.

so yes.. if you want to send me a PM.. with an email address, that's fine. but again, a big butt.. I don't want to give up what I already have.. I have been without local channels for 7 years.. I can put up without them for another 7 years, or more..

trust me on this one..

#92 OFFLINE   videojanitor

videojanitor

DBSTalk Club Member

• Registered
  • 395 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 01:26 PM

Well, it's August 14 ... anybody lose their HD DNS channels? Still on here ...

#93 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,446 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 14 August 2009 - 02:05 PM

Well, it's August 14 ... anybody lose their HD DNS channels? Still on here ...

I will look when I get home but I better not have lost them. Its been a battle just to get them.

#94 OFFLINE   HaRrrgh20!

HaRrrgh20!

Legend

• Registered
  • 113 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 11:54 PM

I also got the e-mail saying "duplicate" HD channels would be removed 8/14. So far, I still have HD-DNS from L.A. for 4 networks and 4 x SD DNS from N.Y., along with my locals.

Will check again tomorrow...

#95 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,446 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 15 August 2009 - 11:11 AM

I also got the e-mail saying "duplicate" HD channels would be removed 8/14. So far, I still have HD-DNS from L.A. for 4 networks and 4 x SD DNS from N.Y., along with my locals.

Will check again tomorrow...

I never got the letter. I just checked and all my DNS feeds are there. I have 3 x SD DNS channels with CW as well and 1 HD DNS channel. All are working.

#96 OFFLINE   videojanitor

videojanitor

DBSTalk Club Member

• Registered
  • 395 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 12:28 PM

I received and automated phone call and an email. Both stated 8/14 was the end of the line. It's now 8/15 and nothing has changed here. The same thing happened to me this time last year.

#97 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,446 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 15 August 2009 - 03:01 PM

I dont think I have anything to worry about. I live where D* dont offer locals so why would or should I lose them? The main reason I like DNS feeds is that I need more tuners and having the west coast helps out. If my DVR had 4 tuners in it that could all record at the same time then I would not care if I had DNS feeds or my locals should D* ever decide to provide them.

#98 OFFLINE   videojanitor

videojanitor

DBSTalk Club Member

• Registered
  • 395 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 03:37 PM

If you live an area where they don't provide HD locals, and were never contacted about losing DNS, then you are fine. While I do have HD locals available, I like having the HD DNS channels (actually just "channel," as I only get one) because the audio on my local affiliate stinks. They put in a ton of audio processing and it is (to me) unlistenable. On the other hand, KCBS out of LA sounds fantastic -- so I would hate to lose that.

#99 OFFLINE   videojanitor

videojanitor

DBSTalk Club Member

• Registered
  • 395 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 12:08 PM

Well, the "warning" has turned into reality for me. No more HD DNS as of this morning ...

#100 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,446 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 18 August 2009 - 12:12 PM

Well, the "warning" has turned into reality for me. No more HD DNS as of this morning ...

That stinks. Mine are still good to go. I am curious to see if anyone else loses them though. Did you just recently get your locals in HD?

Protected By... spam firewall...And...