Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Breaking News: Senate votes to delay DTV transition four months

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
252 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Bob Coxner

Bob Coxner

Icon

• Registered
  • 682 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 07:04 PM

Absolutely ridiculous! So in 4 months we'll have the same issue... people havent gotten their boxes. In the meantime, broadcasting suffers because the stations are forced to broadcast on machines they didnt repair and frequencies that could be sold...

The frequencies have already been sold. The buyers, according to this Wall Street Journal story, are ok with the delay.

"AT&T Inc. and Verizon Communications Inc. -- the owners of the lion's share of airwaves freed up by TV's move to digital -- have indicated they can support a one-time, short extension of the transition."

http://online.wsj.co...=googlenews_wsj
Sony 34" HD-CRT KD34XBR970 and Sceptre 40" LCD
Roku
R22 DVR / HR20-700 HD DVR
DirecTV since 1999
Waco/Temple/Bryan DMA

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#22 OFFLINE   GaryPotter

GaryPotter

AllStar

• Registered
  • 76 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 07:04 PM

relax!! why is everyone so angry about this? really? how does this effect any of you?

The issue is that it was a hard date. It was said a million times that this was when the transition would happen. Now, at the very last minute, they decide to muddy the waters and change it, thereby completely ruining the plans that just about everyone made. It does absolutely nothing at all to help anyone and only makes everyone involved look stupid.

#23 OFFLINE   ercjncprdtv

ercjncprdtv

Legend

• Registered
  • 162 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 07:09 PM

The voucher program ran out of money. There are several million people on the waiting list for vouchers. Just because not everyone has the bucks to spend on tv tech like most forum members doesn't mean the less fortunate don't matter. Let's try to have some compassion.

As for "morons", there are millions of seniors who barely understand how analog tv works, much less digital. A bit more time to help them convert is not such a burden.

I'm sorry, these people have seen the daily announcements on TV and numerous articles in the newspapers etc. What part of YOU MUST DO THIS BY FEB 17th don't they understand. I, as a rule, have great compassion for folks like this and am on their side in everything (trying to avoid politics here) but I cannot sympathize with them on this. Everyone knows this deadine was coming. They have NO excuse!
1002.2 dish with VIP211k receiver

#24 OFFLINE   dodge boy

dodge boy

R.I.P. Chris Henry

• Banned User
  • 4,231 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 07:11 PM

The only morons are the idiots on here crying "foul". You locals will be digital by Feb. They just don't have to shut off the analog channels then. Serious if your locals aren't broadcasting in digital by now, you must be living in that little town "Deliverence" was filmed in.
My equipment:
1 HR22-100 leased
1 HR22-100 owned
1 HR23-700 owned
1 R22-100 owned
1 R22-200 owned

Slimline III with a 4X8 multiswitch and an SWM8
18" round dish with a 4X8 switch on the garage

#25 OFFLINE   ercjncprdtv

ercjncprdtv

Legend

• Registered
  • 162 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 07:13 PM

Absolutely ridiculous! So in 4 months we'll have the same issue... people havent gotten their boxes. In the meantime, broadcasting suffers because the stations are forced to broadcast on machines they didnt repair and frequencies that could be sold...

In fact I have a sinking feeling that the switch will never happen. :(
1002.2 dish with VIP211k receiver

#26 OFFLINE   bobukcat

bobukcat

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,965 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 07:17 PM

All is not lost for those of us opposed to the delay (just rip the bandaid off already!) all is not yet lost. Our wonderful government still has to pass the bill in the house and then work on the differences between them before sending it to POTUS, I have confidence that they can screw around with that long enough to miss the deadline! :grin:

#27 OFFLINE   Bob_M

Bob_M

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 07:18 PM

That figures.:nono2: Now what makes us think that they won't delay it again because were still not ready four months from now? What's the difference February or June? They have been advertising this for months. Too bad if the people are too lazy to go out and get there boxes:mad:
My Setup
DirecTv HR21-700
DirecTv H20-700 x 2
Samsung 58" Plasma
Samsung BD-P1600
Mitsubishi WS55411
PS3
Sony BluRay BDP-S350
Pioneer Elite VSX-07TX Receiver
Pioneer Elite DV-45A Dvd Player
Slingbox Solo

#28 OFFLINE   mreposter

mreposter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,708 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 07:18 PM

The article headline at MSNBC is a bit deceptive. Only the Senate has passed this legislation - it hasn't made it through the House and has not been signed by the President. It may be law in a few days, but right now it's only half-way there at best.

Either way, this thing is stupid. It would be much simpler to allocate more funds for coupons, and will likely have to happen eventually anyway.
.......... There are none so blind as those who can not see it in HD.
.......... Directv customer since January 2000.

#29 OFFLINE   Bob_M

Bob_M

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 07:19 PM

Fox News just claimed it was official:mad:
My Setup
DirecTv HR21-700
DirecTv H20-700 x 2
Samsung 58" Plasma
Samsung BD-P1600
Mitsubishi WS55411
PS3
Sony BluRay BDP-S350
Pioneer Elite VSX-07TX Receiver
Pioneer Elite DV-45A Dvd Player
Slingbox Solo

#30 OFFLINE   tcusta00

tcusta00

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,911 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 07:19 PM

The only morons are the idiots on here crying "foul". You locals will be digital by Feb. They just don't have to shut off the analog channels then. Serious if your locals aren't broadcasting in digital by now, you must be living in that little town "Deliverence" was filmed in.

I don't think that's the complaint that most people crying foul (myself included) have... it's that the government is spending more (of our) money to continue to advertise something that's been advertised for, what, 2 years?

#31 OFFLINE   jmpfaff

jmpfaff

AllStar

• Registered
  • 56 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 07:22 PM

relax!! why is everyone so angry about this? really? how does this effect any of you?

Because this means 4 more months of those annoying "Digital Conversion coming soon" commercials and crawls....:nono2:

#32 OFFLINE   ukrobbie

ukrobbie

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 07:24 PM

Wonder if there was this much confusion switching from Beta to Vhs? :lol:

#33 OFFLINE   txtommy

txtommy

Icon

• Registered
  • 802 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 07:24 PM

The only way it effects me and most others is that we have had to hear many times a day that the DTV transition is coming, have had to endure many tests to determine who is ready and countless countdown clocks. Looks like the countdown clocks will have to be reset and we'll have to endure more warnings. I can't wait for the transition to happen just so we don't have to hear about it all the time.
“People ask me what I do in the winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring.” -- Rogers Hornsby

#34 OFFLINE   dodge boy

dodge boy

R.I.P. Chris Henry

• Banned User
  • 4,231 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 07:28 PM

The only way it effects me and most others is that we have had to hear many times a day that the DTV transition is coming, have had to endure many tests to determine who is ready and countless countdown clocks. Looks like the countdown clocks will have to be reset and we'll have to endure more warnings. I can't wait for the transition to happen just so we don't have to hear about it all the time.

Maybe one more comment, buy a DVR and skip the commercials, move the picture on your screen so you can't see the crawls, it will be OK.... :lol:
My equipment:
1 HR22-100 leased
1 HR22-100 owned
1 HR23-700 owned
1 R22-100 owned
1 R22-200 owned

Slimline III with a 4X8 multiswitch and an SWM8
18" round dish with a 4X8 switch on the garage

#35 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,291 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 07:29 PM

Hopefully the house passes their own version with a different date, then this delay can go into committee and get stalled before the current deadline of Feb.

How about March 17th/18th? Let that go to conference committee.

#36 OFFLINE   MikeW

MikeW

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,549 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 07:30 PM

I hear the number is 6.5 million, but wonder where that came from. I think the best thing they could do is shut down the analogs for a couple of days and see the true effect. Once everybody is aware of how well prepared folks are, they can turn the analogs back on and let them know that, due to demand, the date has been extended for four months.

Honestly though, if you really watch TV, you've known this is coming and should have been prepared. The fact that so many are now on a waiting list surprises me.

#37 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,929 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 26 January 2009 - 07:30 PM

Yes folks, this is real ..
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#38 OFFLINE   GaryPotter

GaryPotter

AllStar

• Registered
  • 76 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 07:32 PM

What really gets my goat is just the fact that so many people are applying for that coupon in the first place. I bet 90% of them could easily buy one with their own money.

#39 OFFLINE   stiffi

stiffi

Legend

• Registered
  • 120 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 07:32 PM

There are people on this forum who it affects negatively. Any station owner/employee. I mean if a station has to spend 10's of thousands of dollars over the 4 months to maintain old equipment, 2 separate signals, and fund all that ridiculous advertising, what's to say that station won't cut jobs to make their budgets?

My own personal gripe (I realize somewhat rare) is that I have a digital signal I should be able to get, completely blocked by the ridiculousy powerful adjacent analog signal. I've been waiting 2 years for this switch to figure out if my situation would improve by the analog signal going away. I guess I'll have to wait more before deciding on getting new equipment.

#40 OFFLINE   tcusta00

tcusta00

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,911 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 07:33 PM

What really gets my goat is just the fact that so many people are applying for that coupon in the first place. I bet 90% of them could easily buy one with their own money.

That wasn't the point of the program. People wouldn't have to purchase a DTV converter if the transition wasn't mandated... can't punish people because the government wants to sell airwaves. So they created an equitable solution.

What gets my goat is people that get the coupons that don't need DTV boxes.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...