Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Breaking News: Senate votes to delay DTV transition four months

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
252 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,577 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 07:44 PM

The only morons are the idiots on here crying "foul". You locals will be digital by Feb. They just don't have to shut off the analog channels then. Serious if your locals aren't broadcasting in digital by now, you must be living in that little town "Deliverence" was filmed in.

Well instead of making insult posts why not understand the problem?
I'll give you a simple example:

WANE-TV 15 (digital 31) in Fort Wayne Indiana is currently operating at it's maximum pre-transition power of 317 kW because they are not permitted to interfere with the analog signal of WPXD-TV in Ann Arbor Michigan. Once WPXD-TV ceases analog WANE will be able to go to full power 1000 kW.

And if you think Deliverence was filmed in Fort Wayne, how about Chicago?

WBBM-TV 2 (digital 3) is on one of the worst digital assignments on the spectrum. When they transition they will be moving to a better channel - digital 12 - but they can't do that until a Milwaukee station and another one in Illinois turn off their analog.

There are just over 800 stations that were approved by the FCC to remain on analog for one month after analog cut off due to the analog nightlight bill. If this new bill limits continued service to those 800 stations and perhaps those who would cause no harm by not moving their digital to their analog channel we might have something workable. But stations NEED to be able to complete their digital construction. Crews and equipment are standing by.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   tzphotos.com

tzphotos.com

Godfather

• Registered
  • 409 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 07:51 PM

And Congress scratches their butts and wonders why no one has faith in them...

A few idiots from Dumbbell, Chicago are too stupid to read what's right in front of their face complain, and we all have to suffer. It really doesn't take much to get Congress to shiver, shreak, and wring their hands in agony. God help this country.

What does Chicago have to do with this?

The only problem in Far Suburban Chicago is all the people waiting for Channel 2 to change to Channel 12 will have to wait until June to be able to watch CBS. So, Suburban Chicago would have benefited from the the transition happening early.

Hopefully CBS will go ahead and change the Digital channel over, but I don't think that can happen until Channel 11 shuts it's analog channel down.

Tom

www.tzphotos.com

#43 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,917 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 26 January 2009 - 07:55 PM

Couple of things .. (1) it's not approved by the House yet and (2)

The bill would allow broadcasters to turn off analog signals before the June 12 deadline, and public safety agencies would be allowed to use those airwaves as soon as they are available. The bill would also allow consumers with expired coupons for converter boxes to re-apply for new ones.

So this is a bit of good news for those stations are ready to just be done on 2/17 as originally planned.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#44 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,577 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 07:57 PM

Yes folks, this is real ..

And unfortunately not spectacular. :(

I'd like to read the language of the bill before getting much angrier ... but changing the date with less than three weeks to go isn't a good thing.

#45 OFFLINE   tcusta00

tcusta00

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,911 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 07:59 PM

And unfortunately not spectacular. :(

:lol:

#46 OFFLINE   Sirshagg

Sirshagg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,922 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 08:00 PM

msnbc.com: BREAKING NEWS: Senate approves four-month delay in digital TV conversion

Looks like it won't be until at least June now.

EDIT: Link - http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28863961/

while I don't believe anything will stop this just the senate passing it does not make it a done deal yet.
Who is this "Vod Kanockers" that you speak of?

#47 OFFLINE   ercjncprdtv

ercjncprdtv

Legend

• Registered
  • 162 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 08:01 PM

Couple of things .. (1) it's not approved by the House yet and (2)

So this is a bit of good news for those stations are ready to just be done on 2/17 as originally planned.

But has been pointed out by myself and others, this creates MORE confusion in the minds of the people who cannot (for whatever reason) "make the switch" . Some of their channels will still go away, others won't and they are thining , "wait I thought that I had until June 12th now"
1002.2 dish with VIP211k receiver

#48 OFFLINE   ercjncprdtv

ercjncprdtv

Legend

• Registered
  • 162 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 08:02 PM

By the way, can someone find a site where this bill is posted. In spite of being "passed" by the Senate, as of 90 mins ago, it was not on their website.
1002.2 dish with VIP211k receiver

#49 OFFLINE   sfmartin

sfmartin

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 08:03 PM

The only morons are the idiots on here crying "foul". You locals will be digital by Feb. They just don't have to shut off the analog channels then. Serious if your locals aren't broadcasting in digital by now, you must be living in that little town "Deliverence" was filmed in.

What about the analog channels that are scheduled to be used by another broadcaster's digital channel?

#50 OFFLINE   Sirshagg

Sirshagg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,922 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 08:04 PM

What about the analog channels that are scheduled to be used by another broadcaster's digital channel?

this is why channels that are ready might not be able to switch on 2/18.

what a fine mess!
Who is this "Vod Kanockers" that you speak of?

#51 OFFLINE   softwiz

softwiz

AllStar

• Registered
  • 84 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 08:10 PM

6.5 million people still don't have a clue...

and the sad thing is... 4 months from now, 6.5 million people still won't have a clue but the government will have spent 3-4 billion trying to get them to get a clue.

I'm so tired of hearing the word BILLION over and over and over...

#52 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,577 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 08:12 PM

By the way, can someone find a site where this bill is posted. In spite of being "passed" by the Senate, as of 90 mins ago, it was not on their website.

I'm not expecting to see it on the GPO website until tomorrow and Thomas.LOC until after that.

S.328 if you're searching.

#53 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,985 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 26 January 2009 - 08:19 PM

From http://www.austin360...Transition.html

"NEW YORK — Delaying the upcoming digital TV transition for four months would cost public broadcasters $22 million, the PBS system chief estimated on Monday.

Paula Kerger, president and CEO of the Public Broadcasting System, said she hopes lawmakers keep that in mind as they consider legislation to delay the switch from Feb. 17 to June 12.

The stations will face increased power charges to maintain over-the-air broadcast signals, she said. Many have leases for signal transmitters that were due to expire on the date of the switch over and will have to make new arrangements, she said.'

Guess we'll be seeing more pledge drives, or Washington (CPB) will be spending more tax dollars to help offset the costs.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#54 OFFLINE   Steve615

Steve615

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,419 posts
  • LocationMiddle TN area

Posted 26 January 2009 - 08:21 PM

From Yahoo & AP:
The delay in the digital transition could cost PBS as much as $22 million.

http://news.yahoo.co...ital_transition

Steve

#55 OFFLINE   Bob Coxner

Bob Coxner

Icon

• Registered
  • 678 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 08:24 PM

There are people on this forum who it affects negatively. Any station owner/employee. I mean if a station has to spend 10's of thousands of dollars over the 4 months to maintain old equipment, 2 separate signals, and fund all that ridiculous advertising, what's to say that station won't cut jobs to make their budgets?

My own personal gripe (I realize somewhat rare) is that I have a digital signal I should be able to get, completely blocked by the ridiculousy powerful adjacent analog signal. I've been waiting 2 years for this switch to figure out if my situation would improve by the analog signal going away. I guess I'll have to wait more before deciding on getting new equipment.

The delay is VOLUNTARY. Any station that wants to make the change on the original date is free to do so. If they choose to continue the analog signal then that's their choice. This is from an AP story:

"But Rockefeller managed to ease some of these concerns by allowing broadcast stations to make the switch from analog to digital signals sooner than the June deadline if they choose and by permitting public safety agencies to take over vacant spectrum that has been promised to them as soon as it becomes available."

By the way, the Senate vote was unanimous. For those who think it was solely a Democratic plan, *EVERY* Republican senator (who voted) voted in favor of it.
Sony 34" HD-CRT KD34XBR970 and Sceptre 40" LCD
Roku
R22 DVR / HR20-700 HD DVR
DirecTV since 1999
Waco/Temple/Bryan DMA

#56 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,727 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 26 January 2009 - 08:27 PM

Time to vote against every single Senator, doesn't matter what party they claim.
You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

#57 OFFLINE   MikeW

MikeW

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,539 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 08:28 PM

Here in Tucson, one channel will be moving its digital channel back to its VHF channel. I was looking forward to the change just to see what I'd need to do with my gear when they make that switch. It would be much easier to swap my antenna in the attic during February (attic temp about 68 degrees) than in June (attic temp about 105).

#58 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,727 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 26 January 2009 - 08:29 PM

And yes - I want it to happen on time - I have the vast majority of my stations playing fruit basket upset for their digitals to get to their final assignments. I want to be able to do one final scan Feb 18 and it be over with.
You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

#59 OFFLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,456 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 08:29 PM

A pox on both their houses.
Tuners: Hopper 2000; Hopper w/Sling; 3 Joeys; Samsung SIR-T351; Accurian 6000;2 X HD TiVo; 2 X TiVo Series 2 Stand alone; Panasonic Showstopper 2000
Dish 1000.2 @ 110, 119, 129; dish 500 @ 61.5
Antennas - CM4228; RS U75-R; coathanger; Funke PSP.1922 (stillin the box); paperclip
Displays: Sony VPH D50Q with HD Fury HDMI input; Hitachi 57F59; Sony Bravia LCD;Sanyo 32" LCD; Panasonic 42" plasma
Sony 80GB PS3; Toshiba HD-DVD

Give me a Finco colinear array and I'll rule the world - HA-HA-HA-HA!

#60 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,577 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 08:31 PM

By the way, the Senate vote was unanimous. For those who think it was solely a Democratic plan, *EVERY* Republican senator (who voted) voted in favor of it.

I believe that is an error in the article. We will know more when the congressional record is available.

The only record vote shown on the Senate website for today was "Confirmation Timothy F. Geithner, of New York, to be Secretary of the Treasury". It is possible that the bill got "unanimous consent" which is more of a "without objection" vote than "100 to 0 in favor".

spam firewall