Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Breaking News: Senate votes to delay DTV transition four months

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
252 replies to this topic

#51 OFFLINE   softwiz

softwiz

AllStar

• Registered
  • 84 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 08:10 PM

6.5 million people still don't have a clue...

and the sad thing is... 4 months from now, 6.5 million people still won't have a clue but the government will have spent 3-4 billion trying to get them to get a clue.

I'm so tired of hearing the word BILLION over and over and over...

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#52 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,775 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 08:12 PM

By the way, can someone find a site where this bill is posted. In spite of being "passed" by the Senate, as of 90 mins ago, it was not on their website.

I'm not expecting to see it on the GPO website until tomorrow and Thomas.LOC until after that.

S.328 if you're searching.

#53 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,148 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 26 January 2009 - 08:19 PM

From http://www.austin360...Transition.html

"NEW YORK — Delaying the upcoming digital TV transition for four months would cost public broadcasters $22 million, the PBS system chief estimated on Monday.

Paula Kerger, president and CEO of the Public Broadcasting System, said she hopes lawmakers keep that in mind as they consider legislation to delay the switch from Feb. 17 to June 12.

The stations will face increased power charges to maintain over-the-air broadcast signals, she said. Many have leases for signal transmitters that were due to expire on the date of the switch over and will have to make new arrangements, she said.'

Guess we'll be seeing more pledge drives, or Washington (CPB) will be spending more tax dollars to help offset the costs.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#54 OFFLINE   Steve615

Steve615

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,522 posts
  • LocationMiddle TN area

Posted 26 January 2009 - 08:21 PM

From Yahoo & AP:
The delay in the digital transition could cost PBS as much as $22 million.

http://news.yahoo.co...ital_transition

Steve

#55 OFFLINE   Bob Coxner

Bob Coxner

Icon

• Registered
  • 682 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 08:24 PM

There are people on this forum who it affects negatively. Any station owner/employee. I mean if a station has to spend 10's of thousands of dollars over the 4 months to maintain old equipment, 2 separate signals, and fund all that ridiculous advertising, what's to say that station won't cut jobs to make their budgets?

My own personal gripe (I realize somewhat rare) is that I have a digital signal I should be able to get, completely blocked by the ridiculousy powerful adjacent analog signal. I've been waiting 2 years for this switch to figure out if my situation would improve by the analog signal going away. I guess I'll have to wait more before deciding on getting new equipment.

The delay is VOLUNTARY. Any station that wants to make the change on the original date is free to do so. If they choose to continue the analog signal then that's their choice. This is from an AP story:

"But Rockefeller managed to ease some of these concerns by allowing broadcast stations to make the switch from analog to digital signals sooner than the June deadline if they choose and by permitting public safety agencies to take over vacant spectrum that has been promised to them as soon as it becomes available."

By the way, the Senate vote was unanimous. For those who think it was solely a Democratic plan, *EVERY* Republican senator (who voted) voted in favor of it.
Sony 34" HD-CRT KD34XBR970 and Sceptre 40" LCD
Roku
R22 DVR / HR20-700 HD DVR
DirecTV since 1999
Waco/Temple/Bryan DMA

#56 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,899 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 26 January 2009 - 08:27 PM

Time to vote against every single Senator, doesn't matter what party they claim.
You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

#57 OFFLINE   MikeW

MikeW

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,551 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 08:28 PM

Here in Tucson, one channel will be moving its digital channel back to its VHF channel. I was looking forward to the change just to see what I'd need to do with my gear when they make that switch. It would be much easier to swap my antenna in the attic during February (attic temp about 68 degrees) than in June (attic temp about 105).

#58 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,899 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 26 January 2009 - 08:29 PM

And yes - I want it to happen on time - I have the vast majority of my stations playing fruit basket upset for their digitals to get to their final assignments. I want to be able to do one final scan Feb 18 and it be over with.
You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

#59 OFFLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,541 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 08:29 PM

A pox on both their houses.
Tuners: Hopper 2000; Hopper w/Sling; 3 Joeys; Samsung SIR-T351; Accurian 6000;2 X HD TiVo; 2 X TiVo Series 2 Stand alone; Panasonic Showstopper 2000
Dish 1000.2 @ 110, 119, 129; dish 500 @ 61.5
Antennas - CM4228; RS U75-R; coathanger; Funke PSP.1922 (stillin the box); paperclip
Displays: Sony VPH D50Q with HD Fury HDMI input; Hitachi 57F59; Sony Bravia LCD;Sanyo 32" LCD; Panasonic 42" plasma
Sony 80GB PS3; Toshiba HD-DVD

Give me a Finco colinear array and I'll rule the world - HA-HA-HA-HA!

#60 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,775 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 08:31 PM

By the way, the Senate vote was unanimous. For those who think it was solely a Democratic plan, *EVERY* Republican senator (who voted) voted in favor of it.

I believe that is an error in the article. We will know more when the congressional record is available.

The only record vote shown on the Senate website for today was "Confirmation Timothy F. Geithner, of New York, to be Secretary of the Treasury". It is possible that the bill got "unanimous consent" which is more of a "without objection" vote than "100 to 0 in favor".

#61 OFFLINE   turey22

turey22

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 08:32 PM

i think that it was a good idea since a lot of people are not ready

#62 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,775 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 08:41 PM

i think that it was a good idea since a lot of people are not ready

If 5% of DirecTV customers have no clue what DLB is would it be fair to cease the implementation of DLB on all future DirecTV DVRs?

We're talking a small group of people. More converter box coupons have EXPIRED without use than there are households that are not ready. The fix is to get the coupons into the hands of consumers and get the boxes into their homes. Any delay that prevents conversion to digital is unneeded.

#63 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 08:42 PM

Our PBS station (analog and digital) are off air, while tower crews remove the channel 2 analog and channel 5 digital antennas from the tower in order to install a channel 7 digital antenna...which they wont be able to fire up now, on Feb 17th, because there is our ABC station using channel 7 until the shutdown. So no PBS for us until either ABC shuts down early, or June whatever... Fools all in Washington. Even the FCC was against an extension.

#64 OFFLINE   Incog-Neato

Incog-Neato

Godfather

• Registered
  • 417 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 08:45 PM

And 6.234 million still won't 4 months from now.

6.5 million people still don't have a clue...

#65 OFFLINE   Incog-Neato

Incog-Neato

Godfather

• Registered
  • 417 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 08:47 PM

Isn't that what they already did! :lol:

If 5% of DirecTV customers have no clue what DLB is would it be fair to cease the implementation of DLB on all future DirecTV DVRs?

#66 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,423 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 08:48 PM

Just ask folks you know at work... See how many are educated on this issue.

For folks in the greatest country in the world, a lot our fellow citizens are pretty clueless about anything technical. dbstalk.com isn't exactly a good snapshot of the US Citizenry.

#67 OFFLINE   Kenkong586

Kenkong586

Legend

• Registered
  • 160 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 08:48 PM

In the meantime, broadcasting suffers because the stations are forced to broadcast on machines they didnt repair

This part could prove to be very true. Many stations have been neglecting regular maintainance on their analog transmitters hoping to just run them into the ground. I'd guess more stations that not will ride into June on fumes from their analog transmitters (which are VERY expensive to upkeep). The 4 stations I work at have had to keep their analog transmitters below 90% total power in order to ensure they would make it through to February. I can forsee a lot of budget replanning for many stations.
Living Room-Mitsu. WD-62531 62"
Comcast HD DVR, PS3(networked, wired), Xbox 360(networked, wired) connected via Octava 4x1 HDMI switch with Toslink Routing
Philips DVDR 3400(HDMI, Coaxial)
Wii(Component, networked, wireless)
Sony STR-K660P Dolby/DTS Reciever
Bedroom-Panasonic 36" CRT - Comcast HD DVR (Component)

#68 OFFLINE   BWELL316

BWELL316

Legend

• Registered
  • 226 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 08:52 PM

Here in Maine we have a Fox station that is run on a budget of bottle returns. They have not offered their HD channel OTA because of one reason or another (although the local TW and D*TV have it available in HD) and they had been saying that would make th emove on Feb 17th. I e-mailed the program director to see how this affects that move (do they still go through with it or wait), and will be interested in the reply. I am willing to bet there are other stations around the country in similar situations.

While I understand that 6.5 mil were going to get nailed in this, I do not understand (outside of getting more money for funding) what this 4 month delay will do. You cannot possibly spend any more money on advertising to get people to understand. My mom, who has never had cable or sat a day in her life, is one of the many who would have been left out in the cold by this, but luckily I took the initiative to get that coupon for her last year and get everything in place for her and everyone in else in my family in the same situation. Maybe some of us that know what is going on could take 10 minutes here and there to help a family member we may not realize could be affected by this, or a neighbor or something, we could make some headway in this. Obviously this whole forum isn't going to wind down that 6.5 mil, but if we all did something for someone, maybe we can actually see the June 12th date become a reality and not a delay.
LR- Mitsubishi 60' WD60C9 w/PS3
MBR- Dynex 32'
KBR- Vizio 37' LCD w. Wii and PS2

#69 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,382 posts
  • LocationGalactic Empire

Posted 26 January 2009 - 08:52 PM

And Congress scratches their butts and wonders why no one has faith in them...

A few idiots from Dumbbell, Chicago are too stupid to read what's right in front of their face complain, and we all have to suffer. It really doesn't take much to get Congress to shiver, shreak, and wring their hands in agony. God help this country.

Hey! Watch what you say about Chicagoans! We ain't dumb; just corrupt. There's a difference, you know!

FAITH: I find the lack of it disturbing.

Opinions are my own but should be those of all Americans, who would be much better off intellectually, psychologically, and emotionally if that were the case.

#70 OFFLINE   HIPAR

HIPAR

Icon

• Registered
  • 749 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 08:53 PM

I think it's a good idea because many 'small time' stations aren't ready.

I think it's a good idea because the new administration is now responsible for getting us all ready.

I think it's a good idea because I'll have some over the air TV here in NE Pa for a few more months.

It's really a done deal. No congress person can do himself political harm by voting yes for this action .. save for a few lost votes from the TV enthusiasts.

--- CHAS
But I don't want to go among mad people

#71 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,382 posts
  • LocationGalactic Empire

Posted 26 January 2009 - 08:56 PM

The voucher program ran out of money. There are several million people on the waiting list for vouchers. Just because not everyone has the bucks to spend on tv tech like most forum members doesn't mean the less fortunate don't matter. Let's try to have some compassion.

As for "morons", there are millions of seniors who barely understand how analog tv works, much less digital. A bit more time to help them convert is not such a burden.

There's much more to this than trying to placate some inconvenienced people, Bob. The delay will be an enormous financial strain on many stations and even a potential harm to some businesses. This far outweighs Granny Podunk in Ames, Iowa not being able to see The Price is Right every morning on her rabbit ears.

The damage to many companies who were counting on using newly relinquished frequencies come Feb. 17th is not good.

I think it's a good idea because many 'small time' stations aren't ready.

Fewer than you think, and the financial harm that many will face with this delay will not be good.

FAITH: I find the lack of it disturbing.

Opinions are my own but should be those of all Americans, who would be much better off intellectually, psychologically, and emotionally if that were the case.

#72 OFFLINE   mopzo

mopzo

Legend

• Registered
  • 127 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 08:59 PM

For folks in the greatest country in the world, a lot our fellow citizens are pretty clueless about anything technical. dbstalk.com isn't exactly a good snapshot of the US Citizenry.

Some fellow citizens are pretty clueless about anything.
Hitachi 51SWX20B w/HR20-100. LG 37LG50 w/HR22-100 and AM-21. Verizon FiOS w/Actiontec Router, Linksys PowerLine AV Network, Playstation 3, Wii, Dell XPS M1340, XM/Sirrus Satellite Radio, iPhone

#73 OFFLINE   Fontano

Fontano

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 333 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 09:01 PM

We really shouldn't go down that road.
People specialize in different areas, and honestly Analog vs Digital is gets pretty technical in discussion.

The vast majority of people just want it to work.

You could say the same about GSM vs CDMA, heck a lot of "geeks" don't really know the difference to that one.

I may know how to wire a network, and how to setup a Digital Converter box. But I would be up a creek without a paddle, if I had to replace the fuel injector in my car.

This greatest country in the world, is a country of people that work together and specialize. Trading one skill for another, since no one can know it all.

Ask most people at my work, and they are pretty upto date on the digital conversion. But most of them have long since abandonded arial/analog antennas and subscribe to an provider service.

Hopefully in a lot of those cities, where it is "you go first" so we can then get to our permanent slot, they go ahead with their plans as honestly, those are the ones that are getting really hosed by this delay.

The coupon's runing out of money. Honestly, I think the coupon structure was the STUPIDEST thing in the world. The government should have had a bidding processes. Selected one or two companies to make a box, that people could have gotten for free (the government paid a FIXED amount).

Or some variation of that. No administration company to administer the coupons. No coupons to mail and get lost. Raw numbers, fixed amounts.

Other companies (and even those that won the bid) would have been more then welcome to make more advanced boxes and sell them for what ever price they wanted to.

And the mornoic notion, that we should now (as a taxpaying public) start to pay for new TV's. That is nuts, and I don't think enough in the government would want to swallow that pill to make it even a viable discussion.

It is not the end of the world. Some stations and areas ARE going to be inconvienced by this. I agree with others, 4 months from now. You are not going to see any major change in that 6 million figure.

#74 OFFLINE   Fontano

Fontano

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 333 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 09:03 PM

There's much more to this than trying to placate some inconvenienced people, Bob. The delay will be an enormous financial strain on many stations and even a potential harm to some businesses. This far outweighs Granny Podunk in Ames, Iowa not being able to see The Price is Right every morning on her rabbit ears.

The damage to many companies who were counting on using newly relinquished frequencies come Feb. 17th is not good.

Fewer than you think, and the financial harm that many will face with this delay will not be good.

Only a matter of time, before the first lawsuits are filed.

I paid $X amount to be ready for Feb 17, but I could have saved $Y if I delayed like others have.

#75 OFFLINE   DustoMan

DustoMan

Godfather

• Registered
  • 317 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 09:21 PM

Just ****ing shoot me. What a load of crap. There has been plenty of warning about the DTV switch. Just go with it, the rest of the people will catch up. TV is not the ONLY way to get emergency broadcasts.
Dusto
dustoman at gmail dot com

Echostar customer since longer then I can remember.
SlingLOADED VIP922 on 1080p Panasonic HDTV
VIP222 on Windows 7 Pro PC

Protected By... spam firewall...And...