Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Breaking News: Senate votes to delay DTV transition four months

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
252 replies to this topic

#81 OFFLINE   dervari

dervari

Icon

• Registered
  • 777 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 09:59 PM

The voucher program ran out of money. There are several million people on the waiting list for vouchers. Just because not everyone has the bucks to spend on tv tech like most forum members doesn't mean the less fortunate don't matter. Let's try to have some compassion.

I'm sorry, watching Oprah or American Idol is not a right. If someone can't afford $40 for a DTV converter box, they have more issues than missing Survivor.

Personally, I was against the whole converter voucher program from the start.
Richard
Sr Network Engineer

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#82 OFFLINE   HIPAR

HIPAR

Icon

• Registered
  • 749 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 10:03 PM

It this passes I'm going to be curious how many stations opt to shut down their analog signal before June. ..

It's my understanding they will still be allowed to do that if there are no channel juggling or interference issues. But, the stations in the major DMAs will most likely stay on analog channels until the final second and that will complicate transition plans. :confused:

--- CHAS
But I don't want to go among mad people

#83 OFFLINE   Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz

Day Sleeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,814 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 26 January 2009 - 10:05 PM

If you are upset as I am about the senate passing S.328, just remember... ONLY the Senate passed the bill. It has yet to come up for a vote in the House. If you are screaming mad about this, go to www.congress.org, find your reps, and fire off a nice yet polite letter referencing S.328. (Because of the amount of mail received, it is important to reference the bill number.)
"In many ways, this opera does fulfil my often quoted description of what most operas is about. The tenor is trying to sleep with the soprano, and the baritone is trying to stop them." - Sean Bianco, KXPR At The Opera
Check out my list of links.

#84 OFFLINE   HIPAR

HIPAR

Icon

• Registered
  • 749 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 10:19 PM

If you are upset as I am about the senate passing S.328, just remember... ONLY the Senate passed the bill. It has yet to come up for a vote in the House. If you are screaming mad about this, go to www.congress.org, find your reps, and fire off a nice yet polite letter referencing S.328. (Because of the amount of mail received, it is important to reference the bill number.)

Certainly that is a prerequisite for 'bitching rights' but realistically we are swimming upstream on this one because it's not issue politically abrasive to the general population.

--- CHAS
But I don't want to go among mad people

#85 OFFLINE   Brandon428

Brandon428

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,129 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 10:24 PM

Slowing down progress because of ignorance is just stupid to me.

#86 OFFLINE   dennispap

dennispap

Icon

• Registered
  • 650 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 10:27 PM

i think that it was a good idea since a lot of people are not ready

You must be joking.:lol:

#87 OFFLINE   Fontano

Fontano

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 333 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 10:29 PM

Slowing down progress because of ignorance is just stupid to me.

What progress is being slowed down?

Other then the stations that now need to juggle their changes to different stations (which sucks).

What blockbuster progress in wireless communication/transmissions is being slowed down here?

Most stations are already broadcasting their digital signals already.

I personally think delaying it was bad choice, as I am one of those IT guys that have gone through conversions before. Send a hundred emails, verifying what people need after the conversion. But ultimatley have to pull the plug, deal with the headaches for a few weeks and then move on.

Which ultimately is going to have to happen in this case.
Flip the switch, deal with the headaches and then move on.

#88 OFFLINE   dennispap

dennispap

Icon

• Registered
  • 650 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 10:33 PM

This part could prove to be very true. Many stations have been neglecting regular maintainance on their analog transmitters hoping to just run them into the ground. I'd guess more stations that not will ride into June on fumes from their analog transmitters (which are VERY expensive to upkeep). The 4 stations I work at have had to keep their analog transmitters below 90% total power in order to ensure they would make it through to February. I can forsee a lot of budget replanning for many stations.

Shouldnt be any changes in your or any stations plans.The delay is voluntary. Any station that wants to make the change on the original date is free to do so. If any station chooses to continue the analog signal then that's their choice.
My new orleans fox 8 shut off their analog on dec 22. You dont think they are going to restart their analog.
Even worse with all of this is this is the 2nd time the date has been changed by the govt. Now people wont believe the new date either.You can only lie/change your story so many times then people dont believe you anymore.Especially when you made the stations run a million times a day that the date was Feb 17, 2009!!

#89 OFFLINE   kevinwmsn

kevinwmsn

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,345 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 10:38 PM

I agree that they shouldn't delay this. 1) The 6.5 million or whatever it is won't be get much lower in another 4 months. 2) This deadline has been known about for years espicially the past few months. 3) TV isn't a right, neither is broadband internet. 4) Government mismanaged the coupon fund by giving out everyone coupons while most didn't need it.
my setup here

#90 OFFLINE   ebbtb17

ebbtb17

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 10:41 PM

the only way these people are going "pass go" and get a converter is when their television goes dark. That's the only way!!! This is nucking futts people!!!

#91 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,245 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 10:43 PM

Last warning. Infractions will be issued hereafter for any political discussion in this thread. On this forum there are no discussions of "vested interests". Nor do we have a sense of political humor.

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#92 OFFLINE   Greg Alsobrook

Greg Alsobrook

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,453 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 10:48 PM

Been a busy night... I'm just now hearing the "good news"... :rolleyes: I have to say I'm quite tired of all the commercials about this... And I also think that if they're (the viewers) not ready by now, they're not going to be ready by June 12th... And unfortunately, a lot of stations are ready to make the switch... I sure hope the ones here go ahead and do so...
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.

#93 OFFLINE   Brandon428

Brandon428

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,129 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 11:04 PM

What progress is being slowed down?

To me its just a representation that the

people of our country are lazy and don't want or care to embrace technology.

It slows down everything to me. More money wasted because people don't

want responsibility.

Perhaps,I just hate waiting.

#94 OFFLINE   tzphotos.com

tzphotos.com

Godfather

• Registered
  • 409 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 11:05 PM

After Feb 17th, Analog broadcasts should be made Virtually Un-Watchable. What I mean by this is put the programing in a small window and information about the analog shutdown in large print around the Picture-in-Picture.:biggthump

This would get the point across to the analog viewers.

Tom

www.tzphotos.com

#95 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,214 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 11:09 PM

After Feb 17th, Analog broadcasts should be made Virtually Un-Watchable. What I mean by this is put the programing in a small window and information about the analog shutdown in large print around the Picture-in-Picture.:biggthump

This would get the point across to the analog viewers.

http://www.avsforum....29&d=1232992549

The regular digital feed is not postage stamped. WIPB is reportedly doing this 24/7.

#96 OFFLINE   eudoxia

eudoxia

AllStar

• Registered
  • 80 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 11:10 PM

In four months it will be the same thing. Just go ahead and switch.

Exactly the procrastinators that are not ready now, will not be ready in 4 months.

#97 OFFLINE   thestaton

thestaton

Legend

• Registered
  • 233 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 11:28 PM

I don't see the big deal... So what some old people out in the sticks won't get to watch TV for a few days. People need to get away from the TV for a little while *sheesh.

#98 OFFLINE   jacksonm30354

jacksonm30354

Icon

• Registered
  • 615 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 26 January 2009 - 11:46 PM

Remember we were supposed to switch to metric in the 70's...
Will the digital switch go the way of the metric switch?

#99 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,245 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 02:09 AM

While this bill does have to go before the House and President Obama, my sense is the bill was reviewed by leaders of both parties in both House and Senate before officially being introduced in the Senate.

Therefore, unfortunately, I expect quick passage in the House. And eventual signing by President Obama.

Cheers,
Tom

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#100 OFFLINE   samhevener

samhevener

Godfather

• Registered
  • 302 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 04:47 AM

[quote name='dennispap']Shouldnt be any changes in your or any stations plans.The delay is voluntary. Any station that wants to make the change on the original date is free to do so. If any station chooses to continue the analog signal then that's their choice.

You are incorrect. The senate bill, the house bill may be changed, states stations that release frequencies that are going to be used by public safety can shut down early. Public safety is only 18% of the total frequency being released and, I think, would only be 18% of those stations that are now broadcasting analog on channels 51-69. Any station that is now broadcasting analog on channels 2-50 can not shut down early. http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=147758

Edited by samhevener, 27 January 2009 - 04:50 AM.
spacing incorrect

AN OLD GEEZER WHO REMEMBERS THE DUMONT TELEVISION NETWORK AND IT'S TOP RATED "CAPTAIN VIDEO AND HIS VIDEO RANGERS", TV NEWS ANCHORMEN WEARING HATS DURING THE NEWSCAST, ONLY 180 SECONDS OF COMMERICALS EACH HALF HOUR, 3 STATIONS ON THE AIR WITH THEIR TEST PATTERNS AIRED FROM 2 TO 3PM, PROGRAMMING FROM 3PM TO 11:30 AND SIGNING OFF AT 11:30PM. HOW COULD I FORGET THE SINGLE FRAME VERTICAL ROLL WHEN THE STATIONS SWITCHED FROM NETWORK TO LOCAL OR LOCAL TO NETWORK AND THE TIME TONE ON THE HOUR.

spam firewall