Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Breaking News: Senate votes to delay DTV transition four months

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
252 replies to this topic

#101 OFFLINE   Juppers

Juppers

Icon

• Registered
  • 596 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 04:59 AM

The only reason I think they should delay is for public safety. I can understand delaying it out of winter time, but not til June. As for delaying because so many people haven't converted yet is BS. Ignorance is no excuse. It doesn't fly with the government when you "forgot" to pay your taxes, "didn't know" something was illegal, so on and so forth. The digital transition should be no different.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#102 OFFLINE   braven

braven

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,033 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 05:50 AM

relax!! why is everyone so angry about this? really? how does this effect any of you?

Four more months of "Are you prepared for the DTV transition?" commercials. I am beyond sick of them.
HR34, HR24, (2) H21's
Whole Home DVR

@I_am_Braven

#103 OFFLINE   smiddy

smiddy

Tain't ogre til its ogre

• Registered
  • 15,459 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 05:55 AM

Ah man, this is getting a little nutty. This is like extending a pregnancy, ask the mother how she's doing and she'll tell you, she's ready for the end. Staying pregnant is just misserable. :(
Aaron 'smiddy' Smith

#104 OFFLINE   thomas_d92

thomas_d92

AllStar

• Registered
  • 84 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 06:16 AM

I read the article and stations that want to shut down there analog signal on Feb 17 can and do not have to wait till June. the bill states that all stations do not have to shut down analog on Feb 17. It does not say they have to stay on the air.

#105 OFFLINE   Italia

Italia

Godfather

• Registered
  • 273 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 06:23 AM

After hearing every flipping night for the past two months, on my local news channel...."just a reminder, the DTV transition is near"....I'm going to help the government out. I'm going to go door to door across the country to explain what everyone should know already. Then, after they refuse to purchase the box, I'll move on to the next house. But then, when the next date comes around for the DTV transition....all of these people will be upset! Whether this is today, tomorrow, one year, five years...it just doesn't matter. However, I'm sure the government is trying to avoid any type of lawsuits.

#106 OFFLINE   PCampbell

PCampbell

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,438 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 06:39 AM

Money or not the pepole not ready now will do nothing and be the same pepole not ready in June,

DirecTV since 1996

Slimline 5 SWM 16
HR24-100
HR24-500
HR24-500

HR44-500
ATT uverse internet

#107 OFFLINE   mystic7

mystic7

Icon

• Banned User
  • 632 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 06:42 AM

Beyond the whole screw up running out of money for converter box vouchers, this is bad news for many TV stations who have planned this out for years and cannot afford to maintain already obsolete transmitter equipment.

Not sure if this is mentioned elsewhere in the thread but I read that the delay will cost PBS 22 million bucks.

#108 OFFLINE   Ken S

Ken S

RIP

• Registered
  • 6,201 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 06:46 AM

The issue is that it was a hard date. It was said a million times that this was when the transition would happen. Now, at the very last minute, they decide to muddy the waters and change it, thereby completely ruining the plans that just about everyone made. It does absolutely nothing at all to help anyone and only makes everyone involved look stupid.

The plans just about everyone made? Who is everyone? What plans have been ruined? The stations that want to shut down their analog signal can do so if they wish.

People forget about how many of the coupons expired because there were no converters available on the market or they were sold out everywhere during the first few months.

There are too many people that didn't get converters yet...what's wrong with a few months to help them out?

#109 OFFLINE   Ken S

Ken S

RIP

• Registered
  • 6,201 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 06:50 AM

What really gets my goat is just the fact that so many people are applying for that coupon in the first place. I bet 90% of them could easily buy one with their own money.

I'll bet you could live without some of the tax deductions you take....how about skipping them?

#110 OFFLINE   leww37334

leww37334

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 06:56 AM

The real problem, is that the same people who aren't ready in Feb will not be ready in Jun either.

We need to go ahead and do this, we could have the problems fixed by Jun easily.

Everyone forgets that the reason for doing this was to free up bandwidth for emergency responders. Every day we delay means another day where emergency responders will not be able to communicate in a real emergency.
“Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it. Do not count on them. Leave them alone.” - Ayn Rand

#111 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,829 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 27 January 2009 - 07:00 AM

Posted on Thomas - http://thomas.loc.go...y/z?c111:S.328:

And yes - stations CAN shutdown analog early.
You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

#112 OFFLINE   tonymus

tonymus

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 07:07 AM

relax!! why is everyone so angry about this? really? how does this effect any of you?

How about this?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28863917/

That doesn't count the additional costs to broadcast networks, which is ultimately for paid by consumers in the form of higher product prices.

Conjecture here, but I'd bet Grandma already has her Wal-Mart digital converter box, the ads have been on for more than a year, and the program to fund the project only recently ran out of money.

#113 OFFLINE   dervari

dervari

Icon

• Registered
  • 777 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 07:20 AM

The only reason I think they should delay is for public safety. I can understand delaying it out of winter time, but not til June.

That's what AM/FM radios are for. :)
Richard
Sr Network Engineer

#114 OFFLINE   lflorack

lflorack

Godfather

• Registered
  • 472 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 07:39 AM

The voucher program ran out of money. There are several million people on the waiting list for vouchers. Just because not everyone has the bucks to spend on tv tech like most forum members doesn't mean the less fortunate don't matter. Let's try to have some compassion.

As for "morons", there are millions of seniors who barely understand how analog tv works, much less digital. A bit more time to help them convert is not such a burden.

I normally have sympathy for older folks etc. However, in this case, this has been a known date for a very, very long time. Deals have been made for the old frequencies, etc and warnings have been plentiful and constant about the need to change. Four more months will do absolutely nothing to fix the problem with those who do not or cannot listen. They will be no more prepared in four months than they are now.
Links: My System Diagram / System Pix
Yamaha: RX-A2010, Samsung: UN55B8000, Oppo; BDP-93,,Yamaha: CDC-685
Klipsch: (2) RF-83, (1) RC-64, (2) RVX-54, (2) RSX-5, SVS: (1) SB13-Ultra
AppleTV, Roku3, Amazon: FireStick, ACP: J15BLK 1.5 kVA Power Conditioner/UPS
See links above for additional system details.

#115 OFFLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,227 posts
  • LocationPeachtree City, GA.

Posted 27 January 2009 - 07:46 AM

The voucher program ran out of money. There are several million people on the waiting list for vouchers. Just because not everyone has the bucks to spend on tv tech like most forum members doesn't mean the less fortunate don't matter. Let's try to have some compassion.

As for "morons", there are millions of seniors who barely understand how analog tv works, much less digital. A bit more time to help them convert is not such a burden.

Bob, I would agree with you if congress had just set the date within the last few weeks and people did not have plenty of time to convert. The digital transition date was set some 5 years ago and has been promoted constantly for well over a year.

Yes, the "voucher" program ran out of money but I seem to recall when the program was announced, people were informed the estimated number of converter boxes this program would cover and that the program was 'first come - first serve'.

Sadly, I believe this delay is only the first of many to come. I am just waiting for some fathead to suggest we wait until June, 2010 and have census workers pass out "vouchers".

Proud DirecTV customer since July, 1994

My Q4 2014 Set-Up

#116 OFFLINE   ercjncprdtv

ercjncprdtv

Legend

• Registered
  • 162 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 08:13 AM

The confusing part that many are referring to:

(a) PERMISSIVE EARLY TERMINATION UNDER EXISTING REQUIREMENTS.
—Nothing in this Act is intended
to prevent a licensee of a television broadcast station from
terminating the broadcasting of such station’s analog tele
vision signal (and continuing to broadcast exclusively in
the digital television service) prior to the date established
by law under section 3002(B) of the Digital Television
Transition and Public Safety Act of 2005 for termination
of all licenses for full-power television stations in the ana
log television service (as amended by section 2 of this Act)
so long as such prior termination is conducted in accord
ance with the Federal Communications Commission’s re
quirements in effect on the date of enactment of this Act,
including the flexible procedures established in the Matter
of Third Periodic Review of the Commission’s Rules and
Policies Affecting the Conversion to Digital Television
1002.2 dish with VIP211k receiver

#117 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,099 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 08:16 AM

The latest bill fixes the date at June 12, 2009.

I guess that after 5 years of national mailings, TV commercials, radio spots, billboards, and other announcements the conversion was coming, not to mention mostly-subsidizing it for a number of people, we need to appease the procrastinators (many of which are likely watching their Black & White sets with rabbit ears on top). :rolleyes:
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#118 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,907 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 08:18 AM

Doug's point from a few posts back is a big one... broadcasters may choose to turn off their analog signals when it suits them to do so, from what I'm getting. So while the official sunset may be in June, any broadcaster who is no longer concerned about analog broadcasting in its market is free to stop spending money on an analog signal.

That's what I'm getting out of this.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#119 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,099 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 08:27 AM

Doug's point from a few posts back is a big one... broadcasters may choose to turn off their analog signals when it suits them to do so, from what I'm getting. So while the official sunset may be in June, any broadcaster who is no longer concerned about analog broadcasting in its market is free to stop spending money on an analog signal.

That's what I'm getting out of this.

Didn't see that provision in the online version of the bill....but I cruised through it pretty fast.

That would indeed be welcome news, as a number of stations are all ready and able to make the switch. My guess the big cities will hold off, since they likely have the most people who "aren't ready".
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#120 OFFLINE   ATARI

ATARI

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 08:27 AM

After Feb 17th, Analog broadcasts should be made Virtually Un-Watchable. What I mean by this is put the programing in a small window and information about the analog shutdown in large print around the Picture-in-Picture.:biggthump

This would get the point across to the analog viewers.

2/17/2009 -- make all analog broadcast B&W -- that should get their attention.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...