Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Breaking News: Senate votes to delay DTV transition four months

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
252 replies to this topic

#121 OFFLINE   ATARI

ATARI

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 08:28 AM

Exactly the procrastinators that are not ready now, will not be ready in 4 months.

Exactly!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#122 OFFLINE   davidatl14

davidatl14

Icon

• Registered
  • 547 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 08:28 AM

Gotta Love it.

Being stupid is coming back into vogue.

Now we can be rewarded for both stupidity and laziness.

Happy days are here again.:nono2:
May The Best of Your Past be the Worst of Your Future!

#123 OFFLINE   ATARI

ATARI

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 08:31 AM

The plans just about everyone made? Who is everyone? What plans have been ruined? The stations that want to shut down their analog signal can do so if they wish.

People forget about how many of the coupons expired because there were no converters available on the market or they were sold out everywhere during the first few months.

There are too many people that didn't get converters yet...what's wrong with a few months to help them out?

I always wondered why the couplon expiration dates weren't all set to 2/17/2009. Anyone know?

#124 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,865 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 08:31 AM

Didn't see that provision in the online version of the bill....but I cruised through it pretty fast.

That would indeed be welcome news, as a number of stations are all ready and able to make the switch. My guess the big cities will hold off, since they likely have the most people who "aren't ready".

From the MSNBC Article:

But Rockefeller managed to ease some of these concerns by allowing broadcast stations to make the switch from analog to digital signals sooner than the June deadline if they choose and by permitting public safety agencies to take over vacant spectrum that has been promised to them as soon as it becomes available.

I'll look through the bill and try to find the exact language.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#125 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,917 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 27 January 2009 - 08:32 AM

Doug's point from a few posts back is a big one... broadcasters may choose to turn off their analog signals when it suits them to do so, from what I'm getting. So while the official sunset may be in June, any broadcaster who is no longer concerned about analog broadcasting in its market is free to stop spending money on an analog signal.

That's what I'm getting out of this.

Exactly .. so what happens if every single station in America decides to turn off the analog signal? .. Heck, even if it's just in some areas or some channels we now officially have 2 days .. February 17 and June 12 .. Mr. Procrastinator will start thinking June 12 (even if the Bill doesn't pass) and when their station sunsets on February 17 they'll still be hosed .. and mad.

It totally boggles the mind that we're even talking about this.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#126 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,917 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 27 January 2009 - 08:35 AM

Didn't see that provision in the online version of the bill....but I cruised through it pretty fast.

The text was posted here
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#127 OFFLINE   ATARI

ATARI

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,876 posts

Big media is scared sh*tless that millions of households won't have converter boxes installed by the Feb. 17th date, which, coincidentally, is during one of the "sweeps weeks" for broadcasters. Millions of eyeballs not able to watch TV will mean millions in lost advertising revenue in a time when TV is already showing declining viewership among the more coveted demographics. Broadcasters prefer putting off the deadline till the beginning of summer when most everything on TV are reruns and viewership is at its lowest.

#128 OFFLINE   cb7214

cb7214

Icon

• Registered
  • 798 posts

doesn't matter when this is done now or later people will be screaming not fair because people aren't ready
Directv Subscriber since 1999

XM Subscriber since June 2005

#129 OFFLINE   waynebtx

waynebtx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,461 posts
  • LocationKingsville,Texas

Posted 27 January 2009 - 08:47 AM

How many years have they known this was going to happen and still not ready wow

Wayne

Slimline dish SWIM16
Sharp LC-60E78UN
HD-A30 w/ Harmony 880
HR34-700/AM21 w/ Harmony 880.
1 C31-700

HR44-200

HR24-100

H25-100

Marantz NR1603 A/V 7.1

All Wired Networked
Xbox 360
retired USN , retired Boeing, retired L3COM, just plain tired

#130 OFFLINE   sfmartin

sfmartin

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 08:56 AM

Oh, WAIT! Let's introduce a bill in the Senate to postpone the Superbowl two weeks 'cause some of the players don't feel they're ready.:rolleyes:

#131 OFFLINE   tzphotos.com

tzphotos.com

Godfather

• Registered
  • 409 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 08:58 AM

Remember we were supposed to switch to metric in the 70's...
Will the digital switch go the way of the metric switch?

Don't get me started on the missed chance to go metric!:nono2:

Tom

www.tzphotos.com

#132 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,865 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 09:00 AM

I'm no attorney but it seems to me if you were planning to shut down on 2/17 and you still want to plan to do that, you can. If you want to read the text of Senate 328, as passed yesterday: http://thomas.loc.go...z?d111:s.00328:

#133 OFFLINE   Mindhaz

Mindhaz

AllStar

• Banned User
  • 70 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 09:01 AM

I think there is a bigger issue that is being ignored. I live outside of Nashville. Over a year ago, I installed an antenna to get the digital stations. I live far enough out that analog was never an option. The antenna I installed was of the "UHF only" variety as the stations moved from VHF to UHF.

Channel 2 (ABC) - 27
Channel 4 (NBC) - 10
Channel 5 (CBS) - 56
Channel 8 (PBS) - 46
Channel 17 (FOX) - 15
There are others

I get all of the channels fine with the antenna I have. However, if you look at antenna web, 5 is moving back to 5 and 8 is moving back to 8 "post transition". These are VHF. My antenna might not pick them up. This makes sense for current analog users. The antenna they currently have will work with the new stations and a converter box or capable TV. But, using this same reasoning, a person with VHF rabbit ears might lose channel 2 not because of digital capability, but because they don't have a UHF antenna to pull in the new signal.

I do have DirecTv with the local channels. I put up the antenna to pull in "Tornado Warnings" during severe weather when the satellite likes to fade. It also allows me to watch the two NFL games on separate TVs in my bonus room while having a ST game or the Red Zone channel up on the main screen.

I think there is a lot more confusion than most people realize. I get these transition questions all the time. I'm not sure I have good answers. I think the best course of action is to turn them off and let everyone deal with the fallout.

#134 ONLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,737 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 27 January 2009 - 09:04 AM

From the MSNBC Article:

The bill just had languauge that substituted June 12,2009 for Febuary 17,2009, and other fluff that most of us weren't too concerned about (funding oncoupons, tweaking the coupon program, etc.)
You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

#135 OFFLINE   MudMover

MudMover

AllStar

• Registered
  • 69 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 09:07 AM

relax!! why is everyone so angry about this? really? how does this effect any of you?

How does this AFFECT ME? I'll tell you....WAFF was supposed to boost power at the same time as the transition....I'm assuming they won't be able to since the new channel allocations won't go into affect. As a result...I still drop out on NBC HD due to low power strength. 48KW to 384KW is a substantial boost....now I have to wait until June. Or I have to go buy a amp....instead of folks taking the initiative and buying their own converters....

#136 OFFLINE   Bob Coxner

Bob Coxner

Icon

• Registered
  • 680 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 09:10 AM

If you are upset as I am about the senate passing S.328, just remember... ONLY the Senate passed the bill. It has yet to come up for a vote in the House. If you are screaming mad about this, go to www.congress.org, find your reps, and fire off a nice yet polite letter referencing S.328. (Because of the amount of mail received, it is important to reference the bill number.)

The vote in the House is tentatively scheduled for today. Better move fast.
Sony 34" HD-CRT KD34XBR970 and Sceptre 40" LCD
Roku
R22 DVR / HR20-700 HD DVR
DirecTV since 1999
Waco/Temple/Bryan DMA

#137 OFFLINE   robmadden1

robmadden1

Legend

• Registered
  • 138 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 09:14 AM

Listen everyone SWEEPS WEEK IS NOT IN FEBUARY THIS YEAR its in March because of the change over's original date.

#138 OFFLINE   Pepster

Pepster

Legend

• Registered
  • 212 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 09:16 AM

I always wondered why the couplon expiration dates weren't all set to 2/17/2009. Anyone know?

Theoretically, it's 90 days from when they're mailed and it took mines over a week in the snail mail system to arrive. Mines arrived on Saturday and they expire on 4/10. My mailing date was 1/12 according to the website when I signed up which would have given me a little more than 30 days to redeem my coupon rather than the full 90 days had the 2/17 date held up.

Edited by Pepster, 27 January 2009 - 09:26 AM.

#139 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,865 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 09:18 AM

I just sent a message to my representative through his home page... let's hope his staffers are working hard today.

#140 OFFLINE   br408408

br408408

Legend

• Registered
  • 113 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 09:21 AM

Most the 6.5 million people that are not ready are probably procrastanators. In 4 month there will be 6.4999 million people not ready.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...