Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Which dish do i need?

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   johnteeee

johnteeee

AllStar

• Registered
  • 61 posts
  • LocationBuffalo, NY

Posted 27 January 2009 - 07:48 AM

Hi there
I want to get HD Turbo package , which dish do you guys think is better to get: 1000.2 or 1000.4 so in the future I won't have to upgrade again.
I just switched from D* to E* and want to do a self install so I would really
appreciate any help.
Thanks.

PS. I live in Buffalo and my set up will be one room
one tv one 211K.

please someone tell me which dish antenna do I have to use
here. I subscribed to Hd Turbo Gold with no locals.

thanks

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   TulsaOK

TulsaOK

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 07:55 AM

Hi there
I want to get HD Turbo package , which dish do you guys think is better to get: 1000.2 or 1000.4 so in the future I won't have to upgrade again.
I just switched from D* to E* and want to do a self install so I would really
appreciate any help.
Thanks.

PS. I live in Buffalo and my set up will be one room
one tv one 211K.

please someone tell me which dish antenna do I have to use
here. I subscribed to Hd Turbo Gold with no locals.

thanks

Is installation not included? What receiver are you getting?
<span style='font-size: 10px;'>“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.”<br /> - John Wayne</span><br /><br />Avatar: Tanner 1992 - 2009

#3 OFFLINE   turey22

turey22

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 08:01 AM

How many dishes does E* have?

#4 OFFLINE   garys

garys

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,162 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 09:04 AM

In Buffalo, you will probably get 61.5 added to a Dish 500 (assuming that is what you should have now). There are only four locals in HD right now, the balance of them are sd on 110.

#5 OFFLINE   johnteeee

johnteeee

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 61 posts
  • LocationBuffalo, NY

Posted 27 January 2009 - 11:30 AM

Hi guys and thanks for all the help.

1- I'm doing the installation myself.
2- I've got the Vip 211k already.
3- My sub is: HD Turbo Gold & HD Platinum.
4- No locals since I'll keep my cable for that.

That's it. Many people are telling me to go with Dish 1000.2 or
EA 1000.4

I need to know which avenue to go so down the road I won't
have to upgrade again at least for a while.

Any help is appreciated as everything is ready but my choice
of which dish should I purchase.

Thank you again.

P.S I just switched from D* to E*

#6 OFFLINE   coldsteel

coldsteel

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,984 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 11:51 AM

Since you have all MPEG-4, go for an EA 1000.4 dish, unless you plan to add SD receivers in the future.

BTW, you may not be able to use a 1000.2 in Buffalo (possible no LOS to 129), so if you go Western Arc, you may need a 500 for 110 and 119 and a wing for 61.5 for HD. But I recommend EA.
DISH 625 dvr

The opinions posted on this site are my own and do not represent DISH Network's positions, strategies or opinions. Unless I decide to be bad or call out an idiot...

#7 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 01:21 PM

The future for you is Eastern Arc, so 1000.4 is your best bet.

#8 OFFLINE   Michael P

Michael P

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,916 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 05:20 PM

The future for you is Eastern Arc, so 1000.4 is your best bet.

I second that! In another thread we discussed 61.5 vs 129 for somone in Albany. A poster noted that the edge of 129's signal was the western edge of Lake Erie (he really menat Lake Ontario since he also said it's the eastern most Great Lake whichis Ontario, not Erie. In any event if this is true the Niagra Falls region is right on the line for 129 reception - not a good place to be using 129 when the weather gets bad. The HD locals would not be on 129 for any NY state local area anyway. The only reason to go with a Dish 500 + a wing dish for 61.5 is if you had any non-HD receivers on the account, as the 1000.4 dish received mainly MPEG-4 signals off 72 & 77 as well as the mix of MPEG-2 and MPEG-4 signals found on 61.5.

Glad to see another self-installer here. I've done my own installs since the beginning of my relationship with E* in 1997, when they actually sold self-install kits. I did my own Dishmover 3 years ago, this time using poles so I can access the dishes should there be snow build-up.
An E* subscriber continuously since February 1997.

#9 OFFLINE   BobaBird

BobaBird

EKB Editor

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,022 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 06:04 PM

How many dishes does E* have?

Millions and millions. ;)

There are at least 7 major types. See http://www.dishuser.org/dishes.php

Edited by BobaBird, 28 January 2009 - 04:56 PM.
fixed URL again

Charles @dishuser - a dynamic employee of Massive Veridian
Visit the EchoStar Knowledge Base
"The other guys charge $9.95/month to use tapeless record" - Dish Network Tech Forum, 8-6-01
"dual" is NOT the same as "Twin" - here's why

#10 OFFLINE   johnteeee

johnteeee

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 61 posts
  • LocationBuffalo, NY

Posted 28 January 2009 - 09:09 AM

Hey guys

Thanks to all yous !

My only concern is this: Has Buffalo been designatedon as an "Eastern Arc" Market yet?

"Cause if it ain't, I won't be able to get all my channels? Right?!

Thanks........John

#11 OFFLINE   ImBack234

ImBack234

Godfather

• Registered
  • 395 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 09:20 AM

Hey guys

Thanks to all yous !

My only concern is this: Has Buffalo been designatedon as an "Eastern Arc" Market yet?

Thanks........John

The only reason someone wouldn't want Eastern Arc would be if they didn't have your locals on it. Other then that it has all the channels.
If your doing it yourself you may find the dish 500 and 61.5 easier to aim.

#12 OFFLINE   coldsteel

coldsteel

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,984 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 09:24 AM

Hey guys

Thanks to all yous !

Thanks........John

Checked with a friend. Buffalo is NOT Eastern Arc. The SD locals are on 110 and HD locals are on 61.5 sats. May have to go 500/300 after all.
DISH 625 dvr

The opinions posted on this site are my own and do not represent DISH Network's positions, strategies or opinions. Unless I decide to be bad or call out an idiot...

#13 OFFLINE   johnteeee

johnteeee

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 61 posts
  • LocationBuffalo, NY

Posted 28 January 2009 - 10:00 AM

Thank you but don't forget I get my locals via Cable and am not subscribed to
locals with E* anyways. Now if what your friend said is true and Buffalo has not been designated yet, can I still go ahead with EA? or what?

Please let me know guys.

Thanks.........John

#14 OFFLINE   garys

garys

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,162 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 10:51 AM

If you are not concerned with getting your locals, then EA will work for you as long as you have a line of sight.

#15 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,351 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 28 January 2009 - 11:14 AM

1- I'm doing the installation myself.

Self-installing is overrated. DISH will install everything you need for free (assuming you are eligible* for their service).

Many people are telling me to go with Dish 1000.2 or EA 1000.4

The 1000.2 is not a wise choice at all for someone who resides in Buffalo. In future when you discover that DISH DVRs are pretty cool, you don't want to screw yourself out of your LIL which come from Echostar 12 at 61.5W.

* eligibility includes actually being a resident of the U.S.A. and credit qualifications.

#16 OFFLINE   ImBack234

ImBack234

Godfather

• Registered
  • 395 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 11:20 AM

Self-installing is overrated. DISH will install everything you need for free (assuming you are eligible* for their service).The 1000.2 is not a wise choice at all for someone who resides in Buffalo. In future when you discover that DISH DVRs are pretty cool, you don't want to screw yourself out of your LIL which come from Echostar 12 at 61.5W.

* eligibility includes actually being a resident of the U.S.A. and credit qualifications.

Some professional installs are over rated. Just read around the forum if you don't believe me. :rolleyes:

#17 OFFLINE   johnteeee

johnteeee

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 61 posts
  • LocationBuffalo, NY

Posted 28 January 2009 - 12:19 PM

Thanks again guys for all the wise input.
I already have my sub and account number but I believe in self installation and turned down their free installation offer.
The only thing they shipped for me was the Vip 211K. No disrespect to the professional insallers, maybe I had no luck but
I was with D* since 05 and everytime the installer left I was unhappy and Re-did
the installation my self and got it to better and higher reception numbers!! ( I lived in San Fran 94526 back then).

Yes I do have an excellent LOS. I don't wanna sound like a broken record, but I had the impression that my city has to be designated for EA Market before I can actually install 1000.4, isn't that true?

And you are right and right !! Locals are not important to me since My cousin whose house I share with, she hate Satellite! so she will keep the cable.
Also I do care about future 'cause U R right as I might wanna go for DVR in the future.
So, considering all the above, do you guys still say I should and could go for EA? Or what?!!

Thanks..........John

Edited by johnteeee, 28 January 2009 - 12:28 PM.

#18 OFFLINE   gagamma1346

gagamma1346

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 05:42 PM

I am pretty much in the same situation as you. I want to do a self installation mainly because I do not want to be lock into a two year contract. I have a Vip 211 as well. I am in south Georgia so 129 is not excellent. I would like a 1000.4 and have a clear LOS, but I am fairly confident that I will need a newer G3 Smart Card, which you cannot get unless they ship you one. So I am basically going to have to settle with 1000.2, since I do not want a two dish solution.

#19 OFFLINE   coldsteel

coldsteel

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,984 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 07:02 PM

If you care not for the locals, go for EA.
DISH 625 dvr

#20 OFFLINE   johnteeee

johnteeee

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 61 posts
  • LocationBuffalo, NY

Posted 28 January 2009 - 08:05 PM

Thanks U all

ColdSteel
How about what gagamma says?
If I can't get a hold of a G3 Smart Card, what good is EA to me?
What do U think? Should I also settle for a 1000.2?

Thanks for all your inputs.

spam firewall