Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Has DirecTV Given Up on Fixing Channels I Get?

• Please log in to reply
110 replies to this topic

#101 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,647 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 01:27 PM

[...]of the 25 % that do, it's probably not a high priority for more than a small pct of that group also. My guess would be that the CIG issues rate alongside the Caller ID and adding more Premiums in HD issues somewhere way toward the bottom of the priority list.(IMO)

Hate to sound like a broken record, but "Display only the channels that are in your current subscription package in SEARCH results" ranked 4th highest of almost 80 requests, based on the opinion of 1176 folks who have taken the Wish List survey so far. /steve
/steve

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#102 OFFLINE   davidatl14

davidatl14

Icon

• Registered
  • 549 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 01:34 PM

Hate to sound like a broken record, but "Display only the channels that are in your current subscription package in SEARCH results" ranked 4th highest of almost 80 requests, based on the opinion of 1176 folks who have taken the Wish List survey so far. /steve

Agreed steve it might be high here, but this forum (which is great) is not indicative of the avg satellite customer base.

Nowhere close.

Speculation on my part, but if there was a way to accurately gauge and read the entire DirecTV customer base I bet the CIG issue wouldn't rate in the top 40.

Most people don't care about that particular feature.

Not trying to minimize the ones here that do, just saying this forum is in no way a mirror for the normal DBS customer.
May The Best of Your Past be the Worst of Your Future!

#103 OFFLINE   paulman182

paulman182

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,838 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 01:54 PM

This would be an issue for me if I had a smaller package and used a lot of autorecords.

Since all my autorecords are for dead movie actors and I subscribe to Premier, I don't personally have any issues, unless the autorecord turns up a movie from a Spanish channel or some such. (I haven't seen that but I guess it could happen.)

However, to have the DVRs not only show results, but to actually try to automatically record programming from a channel you do not get is pretty lame, IMHO.

Equipment includes a buncha stuff that I no longer have interest in detailing

#104 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,647 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 01:58 PM

Agreed steve it might be high here, but this forum (which is great) is not indicative of the avg satellite customer base.

Nowhere close.

Speculation on my part, but if there was a way to accurately gauge and read the entire DirecTV customer base I bet the CIG issue wouldn't rate in the top 40.

Not trying to minimize the ones here that do, just saying this forum is in no way a mirror for the normal DBS customer.

Actually, even though it's not random, that's a very high statistical sample (95% certainty or higher) of the population who might care about SEARCH and AUTORECORD, which is probably 25% or more of the entire user base, as you noted above.

I say that because DirecTV recently worked-on and implemented at least one new feature that was requested by only a tiny fraction of the user base... extra remote codes for folks who need to control three or more HR2x's in a single location. Those folks probably number .01% of total users, if that many. /steve
/steve

#105 OFFLINE   JosephB

JosephB

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,140 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, AL

Posted 02 February 2009 - 02:50 PM

Actually, even though it's not random, that's a very high statistical sample (95% certainty or higher) of the population who might care about SEARCH and AUTORECORD, which is probably 25% or more of the entire user base, as you noted above.

I say that because DirecTV recently worked-on and implemented at least one new feature that was requested by only a tiny fraction of the user base... extra remote codes for folks who need to control three or more HR2x's in a single location. Those folks probably number .01% of total users, if that many. /steve

Those folks also are very likely to spend a lot more money on their monthly bills and upgrade to the latest hardware.

#106 OFFLINE   billsharpe

billsharpe

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,286 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 02 February 2009 - 04:08 PM

How about buying into this?

It's just not high at all on the priority list.

Many other technical advances probably far more desired by the majority of the customer base.

For D's part, probably not very much upside in putting time and resources into a feature very few care about relatively speaking.

Not trying to come across as rude or snarky because I do care about the CIG issues but I also understand 75% of D's customer base probably never uses that feature and of the 25 % that do, it's probably not a high priority for more than a small pct of that group also. My guess would be that the CIG issues rate alongside the Caller ID and adding more Premiums in HD issues somewhere way toward the bottom of the priority list.(IMO)

Maybe so, but why does DirecTV still include CIG in the documentation for their newest receivers? They must know that they haven't had this capability for over two years now.
Bill

Family room: Sony Bravia KDL-40SL130
Living room: Sceptre 32 inch

#107 OFFLINE   billsharpe

billsharpe

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,286 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 02 February 2009 - 04:10 PM

Nowhere close.

Definitely speculation on your part. There are a significant, maybe not a majority, number of people who care.
Bill

Family room: Sony Bravia KDL-40SL130
Living room: Sceptre 32 inch

#108 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,647 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 04:15 PM

Those folks also are very likely to spend a lot more money on their monthly bills and upgrade to the latest hardware.

True, but what do you think those customers spend monthly each? Even if $200, that's probably about the average 0f 2-3 regular customers, so still not talking about a huge % of revenues.

Unless I'm missing something, it wouldn't surprise me if engineering implemented that one (control multiple HR's in a single location) to make their own in-house testing easier! :lol: /steve
/steve

#109 OFFLINE   deltafowler

deltafowler

Duplicate User (Account Closed)

• Topic Starter
  • Banned User
  • 953 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 04:37 PM

Speculation on my part,

Nuff said.

#110 OFFLINE   Jeremy W

Jeremy W

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,447 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 04:42 PM

Unless I'm missing something, it wouldn't surprise me if engineering implemented that one (control multiple HR's in a single location) to make their own in-house testing easier! :lol: /steve

They probably did it for commercial installations.

#111 OFFLINE   deltafowler

deltafowler

Duplicate User (Account Closed)

• Topic Starter
  • Banned User
  • 953 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 04:42 PM

As I'm sure my new best friend has noticed, I've taken to reporting the CIG feature as not working with every software update.
The way I see it, if it's in there, it's supposed to work.
I suggest anyone else who's serious about getting it fixed take a similar path.

Edited by deltafowler, 02 February 2009 - 05:54 PM.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...