Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Cable modem recommendations?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,331 posts
  • LocationGalactic Empire

Posted 27 January 2009 - 05:52 PM

I currently am using a Motorola SB5120 with my Comcrap Internet service. I have for the last year consistently been at speeds of 12-15 megs down and 6-8 megs up, the latter being critical for my Vonage VoIP service. The last several days, however, my speeds have inexplicably dropped to 3-5 megs down and around 1.5 megs up--a rather precipitous drop if you ask me.

I've done the troubleshooting on my end to see if it's my PC. I've done the typical rebooting of my modem, my Linksys router, and my Vonage adapter, but that hasn't helped either. Comcrap did their stuff, mostly over the phone, and said it's "probably due to the fact that your modem is at least a couple years old." Huh?

Anyway, I can always buy a new modem just to see if it is, in fact, my current SB5120. If a new modem doesn't fix the problem, I can simply take it back for a refund--no big deal. So, I'm looking around for a top-of-the-line cable modem for residential use, and one that would obviously permit a Linksys router be attached to it. I'm eyeing a couple different models but figured I'd check with folks here to see what their recommendations would be.

FAITH: I find the lack of it disturbing.

Opinions are my own but should be those of all Americans, who would be much better off intellectually, psychologically, and emotionally if that were the case.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 06:04 PM

IMO, the Comcast tech was full of it. You clearly have a DOCSIS 2.0 cable modem already, so there isn't going to be anything faster until 3.0 appears and is implemented by Comcast. Most likely, it is Comcast's local network, or they are throttling you. If it was the latter, though, they should have been able to tell you.

#3 OFFLINE   dettxw

dettxw

MRVing

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,031 posts
  • LocationChoctaw, OK

Posted 27 January 2009 - 06:15 PM

After reading this I'll knock myself up side the head and remind myself to be thankful for Cox Cable, though I do pay extra for the best service tier.

Sounds like they're messing with you. Any chance of moving out of the Comcrap area?

-Steve- Subscriber since Sept 1998  My Complete Setup 

SWM16 / HR44-500 (2TB & AM21) / HR34-700 (3TB & AM21) / HR24-500 (2TB eSATA) / C31 via WCCK / C41 x2 / C41W / H25-700

#4 OFFLINE   Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 10,838 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 06:18 PM

IMO, the Comcast tech was full of it. You clearly have a DOCSIS 2.0 cable modem already, so there isn't going to be anything faster until 3.0 appears and is implemented by Comcast. Most likely, it is Comcast's local network, or they are throttling you. If it was the latter, though, they should have been able to tell you.

Just to pass along a little info the 3.0 modem and the new speeds are starting to roll out in some areas. It was release in my area about 2 weeks ago.

#5 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 8,331 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 06:19 PM

I know. The problem is, I can't get them to make a service call because they're emphatic that it's on my end, which is why I figured I could at least try a new modem. After all, if it makes no difference, I can return it for a refund (a credit if I use my credit card).

After reading this I'll knock myself up side the head and remind myself to be thankful for Cox Cable, though I do pay extra for the best service tier.

Sounds like they're messing with you. Any chance of moving out of the Comcrap area?

Nope. I can always downgrade to AT&T if I wanted.

Opinions are my own but should be those of all Americans, who would be much better off intellectually, psychologically, and emotionally if that were the case.

#6 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,977 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 27 January 2009 - 06:25 PM

The modem you have is probably as good as any.

My first suggestion would be to hook a computer directly to the modem (at some point when you're not expecting any phone calls). I discovered that I had turned on QoS in the router and it was limiting my speeds. There may be similar things going on in your situation. If the computer hooked straight to the modem fixes it, you'll know that the problem isn't with the modem.

I also had some trouble initially with a trap installed incorrectly by the Comcast contractor that was chewing up my outgoing signal.

#7 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 8,331 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 06:32 PM

Just to pass along a little info the 3.0 modem and the new speeds are starting to roll out in some areas. It was release in my area about 2 weeks ago.

I just spoke to a Comcrap rep a few minutes ago. Coincidentally, I reached a rep. who's in a town about 10 miles from me. :P

Anyway, he did confirm that DOCSIS 3.0 was rolled out last week in my area. However, the big kicker? The price. Yikes!

I pay around $30/month right now for my Internet service and as I said, I was consistently getting speeds of of 12-15 megs down and 6-8 megs up. The rep. told me that they could guarantee at least 50 megs down and 5 megs up with DOCSIS 3.0 (yes, I know that it could go even faster), but the price would be $100 to $150 per month or more, depending on which speed I went with. :eek2:

Whoa! No can do! It ain't worth it for that astronomical amount.

#8 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 8,331 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 06:37 PM

The modem you have is probably as good as any.

My first suggestion would be to hook a computer directly to the modem (at some point when you're not expecting any phone calls). I discovered that I had turned on QoS in the router and it was limiting my speeds. There may be similar things going on in your situation. If the computer hooked straight to the modem fixes it, you'll know that the problem isn't with the modem.

I also had some trouble initially with a trap installed incorrectly by the Comcast contractor that was chewing up my outgoing signal.

I actually did try that. I bypassed the router and connected directly to the modem. Unfortunately, that didn't help.

#9 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,977 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 27 January 2009 - 06:37 PM

Whoa! No can do! It ain't worth it for that astronomical amount.

Considering a T1 costs me $300 each at my workplace I wouldn't mind paying a few hundred for 30x the speed.

Imagine how fast the bandwidth caps would come on at those speeds!

#10 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 8,331 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 06:43 PM

Well, Comcrap did tell me they're sending me at no charge a new DOCSIS 3.0 modem, so I'll give that a shot.

#11 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,977 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 27 January 2009 - 06:44 PM

I actually did try that. I bypassed the router and connected directly to the modem. Unfortunately, that didn't help.

The modem swap seems appropriate if Comcast won't do it for you. I told them there was something wrong with my power connector and they swapped mine out. All it cost me was an office visit (no co-pay).

Have you checked your cabling for "leaks"? Is there anything that you might be diplexing or combining in? What wasn't interfering before may be interfering now.

#12 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 8,331 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 06:46 PM

Yeah, the cables look OK. This particular modem has a direct cable from it to the outside. The connection is literally only a few feet from it to the outside.

#13 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,977 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 27 January 2009 - 06:51 PM

Yeah, the cables look OK. This particular modem has a direct cable from it to the outside. The connection is literally only a few feet from it to the outside.

There are probably at least two opportunities for a failed connection in any length of cable.

This site is littered with problems created by coax connections gone bad. The neat part about CATV is that even a electrically shorted cable might still seem to work.

#14 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 8,331 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 06:10 PM

Follow-up...

Went to my Comcast office here in town and picked up a new DOCSIS 3.0 modem--much smaller and sleeker. This didn't change anything, though. My speeds are still about 20% of what they had been for the last year. A Comcrap tech is coming Saturday to check things.

#15 OFFLINE   jfuchtm

jfuchtm

AllStar

• Registered
  • 85 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 06:19 PM

Considering a T1 costs me $300 each at my workplace I wouldn't mind paying a few hundred for 30x the speed.

Imagine how fast the bandwidth caps would come on at those speeds!

You can't compair a T1 to a crap cable connecition. Sure the speed of the cable is faster, but the realibility of a T1 verses cable? No even close.

#16 OFFLINE   houskamp

houskamp

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,636 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 06:37 PM

may be a dumb question but how long has cable internet been in your area?
I dropped them after 1st year.. the speeds dropped a ton as they loaded up the neighborhood..

Edited by houskamp, 29 January 2009 - 06:46 PM.

AKA: SMOKE
MRV was all that's left on my wishlist (wishlist done) :D

#17 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 8,331 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 06:39 PM

To whom are you asking your question?

Protected By... spam firewall...And...