Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Which output is best viewed on HDTV...

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   PatentBoy

PatentBoy

Legend

• Registered
  • 137 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 08:31 PM

1 - Component; or
2 - S-Video

I have a DVD player which has a component output and I currently am using the S-Video. To switch to component would require a lot of "rearranging" in my A/V closet and before I make the lead I was wondering if anyone had any comments regarding the better of the above two choices.

The signal will be going into a high-end HD plasma panel which has good electronics.

For purposes here:
COMPONENT VIDEO OUT (Y, Pb/Cb, Pr/Cr): Photo jack/Y: 1.0 Vp-p/Pb/Cb, Pr/Cr: 0.648 Vp-p/75 ohms.

S VIDEO OUTPUT 1/2: 4-pin mini DIN/Y: 1.0 Vp-p/C: 0.286 Vp-p /75 ohms.

Thanks in advance.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   RobertE

RobertE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,024 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 08:48 PM

Component would give you the "best" picture from a SD source, followed by S-Video, then composite, lastly RF.
Have an Error or Diagnostic code? Find out what it means and how to fix it here: Click Me
Having issues with your HD locals? Report them here: Click Me
Is your receiver compatible with MRV? Check Here

#3 OFFLINE   Pepster

Pepster

Legend

• Registered
  • 212 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 08:54 PM

Component would give you the "best" picture from a SD source, followed by S-Video, then composite, lastly RF.

Don't forget to run an additional cable for audio if you use component cable.

#4 OFFLINE   PatentBoy

PatentBoy

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 137 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 11:44 AM

Thanks for your input.

#5 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,717 posts
  • LocationLancaster, PA area

Posted 28 January 2009 - 01:11 PM

Yep.. what he said. HDMI, Component, S-video, Composite and RF... in that order from best video to worst.

HD Snob - "Friends Don't Let Friends Watch Cable".
Electrical/RF Engineer & Inspector
DirecTV Equipment: HR24-200 (2), 5LNB Slimline, AM21, SWiM 8 installed (MRV), Cinema Kit (Wifi connection)
Configuration: Native OFF. Units OFF when not in use.
TVs: 2 Panasonic Plasma TV's each using HDMI (one 1080p/one 720p)
DirecTV customer since 1998. Plus HD DVR package w/ NHL Center Ice & MLB Extra Innings.
OTA Antenna: Homebrew UHF & VHF antennas w/ 30dB amplifier fed w/ RG-6 Quad-shield coax.

#6 OFFLINE   northrk

northrk

Mentor

• Registered
  • 41 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 02:24 PM

Once you go component, dont forget to set your DVD player to output 480p or progressive. If it is an upscaling DVD consult your manual. Also set it to 16:9 tv.

#7 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 09:01 PM

Here's the biggest benefit to going component over S-Video or Composite:

Component can output "anamorphic"=encoded DVDs in widescreen, just like an HD device can, so widescreen DVDs that are properly encoded will fill the screen better and be higher resolution than if you used S-Video and then had to zoom the picture with your TV.

Component can also display with progressive scan, which means the DVD player can de-interlace internally, which sometimes gives you a better picture, depending on the quality of the deinterlacer in the TV vs. the DVD player.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...