Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Breaking News: House refuses to fast track DTV Delay Act

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
179 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,263 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 12:10 PM

In this morning's vote on the House floor, the House did not reach the 2/3rds majority necessary to suspend the rules to pass the DTV Delay Act. At this point the transition date is still February 17/18, 2009.

I think this means the bill will not pass in time before the transition would occur, effectively killing the delay. (But I very well could be misreading how things work.)

Cheers,
Tom

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   CyberTrip02

CyberTrip02

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 12:13 PM

I was not expecting that to happen. Most of the brocasters were for the delay because it would allow them to have additional viewers for a bit longer thus increasing revenue streams from commercials. But I understand that smaller stations really are pushing their costs to keep both analog and digital up. Not to mention some can't even go digital untill they cut their analog transmissions.

#3 OFFLINE   Dave

Dave

Icon

• Registered
  • 864 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 12:17 PM

I believe what this will mean, that later on today they will have a 1 hour discussion and then have the final vote. What they voted on this morning was suspend the rules for the debate. The debate will happen later this afternoon after the debate for the stimulus package.

#4 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 20,263 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 12:18 PM

Thanks, I was not sure of the procedure. I'll try to keep up :)

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#5 OFFLINE   minorthr

minorthr

Legend

• Registered
  • 177 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 12:18 PM

Wow I didn't expect that. Finally congress does something that makes sense. Let the 7% of people who aren't ready suffer. They will figure it out when their TVs stop working and then claim they had no idea this was coming.
Setup:
HR24-500
HR20-700
HR24-500

#6 OFFLINE   CyberTrip02

CyberTrip02

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 12:20 PM

Wow I didn't expect that. Finally congress does something that makes sense. Let the 7% of people who aren't ready suffer. They will figure it out when their TVs stop working and then claim they had no idea this was coming.

And those people that claim to not have been informed probably were not informed. The reason being because they probably rarely watch TV anyways.

#7 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,249 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 12:25 PM

The vote ...
On Motion to Suspend the Rules and Pass, as Amended
http://clerk.house.g...009/roll041.xml

I wonder what the amendment was? Or are they referring to the senate's amendment?
If the house has amended the bill the changes will have to be reconciled.

#8 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 20,263 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 12:27 PM

Or does the bill go to the appropriate commitee first?

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#9 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,906 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 12:28 PM

woo hoo! Good catch, Tom!
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#10 OFFLINE   tfederov

tfederov

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,755 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 12:30 PM

I seriously doubt the delay will do any good. If a person hasn't received the proper notice by now then it's on them. If this has to do with the converter coupons, give the money to the manufacturers and sell them at what it is with the discount already included.
- Tony

SWiM16, H21-100, H23-600, H21-700 w/AM21, HR24-500, HR24-100 w/AM21, (3) HR20-700
All receivers networked via DECA
MediaShare using TVersity on Win 7 VM over Mac Snow Leopard

#11 OFFLINE   Pete K.

Pete K.

Icon

• Registered
  • 776 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 12:31 PM

Sometimes, every once in a blue moon they do something right in D.C.
http://www.washingto...ml?hpid=topnews

Edited by Pete K., 28 January 2009 - 12:37 PM.

#12 OFFLINE   Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 10,839 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 12:33 PM

Whatever happens I think a lot of stations are still going to turn off the analog signal on the 17th. Baltimore FOX (WBFF) and CBS (WJZ) have stated last night and this morning they are turning it off on the 17th. I have not check ABC or NBC yet.

#13 OFFLINE   julesism

julesism

Legend

• Registered
  • 215 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 12:33 PM

Sometimes, every once in a blue moon they do something right in D.C.

+1 :D

#14 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,249 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 12:36 PM

Or does the bill go to the appropriate commitee first?

I believe they suspended that last night when the bill was heard on the floor.

#15 OFFLINE   Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz

Day Sleeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,928 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 28 January 2009 - 12:38 PM

The vote ...

As far as I can see, it was 99% along party lines.

Good. I particularly thought it was interesting that they consider it a emergency when, in fact f$ae!j*4~53gg2 NO CARRIER
"In many ways, this opera does fulfil my often quoted description of what most operas is about. The tenor is trying to sleep with the soprano, and the baritone is trying to stop them." - Sean Bianco, KXPR At The Opera
Check out my list of links.

#16 OFFLINE   neljtorres

neljtorres

Godfather

• Registered
  • 317 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 12:40 PM

Watch it online on CSPAN could not believe it! But there was a republican in the discussion I forgot his name and was saying that they could not delay the analog shutdown because of national security issues that Homeland Security and other Federal Agencies needs the analog transmission in case of a national emergencies.

#17 OFFLINE   Cap'n Preshoot

Cap'n Preshoot

Godfather

• Registered
  • 452 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 12:40 PM

And those people that claim to not have been informed probably were not informed. The reason being because they probably rarely watch TV anyways.

It also wouldn't matter if it were postponed 4 months or 4 years, or 4 decades. There will always be that small percentage of people who still don't understand or will procrastinate indefinitely.

#18 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 20,263 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 12:41 PM

James, I don't think so. The first mention of the bill (aside from the message of the bill's passing in the Senate) is the Motion to suspend the rules to pass the bill. It has not gone thru formal introduction, committee processing, etc.

But I'm reading as fast as I can find stuff. :)

Go Packers!

#19 OFFLINE   joblo

joblo

Godfather

• Registered
  • 484 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 12:42 PM

The vote ...

I wonder what the amendment was? Or are they referring to the senate's amendment?

Probably the Senate version was introduced as a substitute amendment for whatever they already had on the House side. But I'm just guessing about that.

I'm not all that surprised they didn't get the two-thirds. I expect they will pass it by majority at some point though, whether via the committee process or otherwise.

#20 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 20,263 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 12:43 PM

Reuters is reporting the bill has not passed: http://tech.yahoo.co.../us_dtv_delay_2

Go Packers!

Protected By... spam firewall...And...