Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Breaking News: House refuses to fast track DTV Delay Act

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
179 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,356 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 12:43 PM

Watch it online on CSPAN could not believe it! But there was a republican in the discussion I forgot his name and was saying that they could not delay the analog shutdown because of national security issues that Homeland Security and other Federal Agencies needs the analog transmission in case of a national emergencies.

Uh ... not delay because they need a delay?

Homeland Security NEEDS the shutdown to be on schedule to free up the spectrum for first responders (trunked radio systems). Delaying the shutdown so analog TV is available to reach people is the opposite argument.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,913 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 28 January 2009 - 12:44 PM

Whatever happens I think a lot of stations are still going to turn off the analog signal on the 17th. Baltimore FOX (WBFF) and CBS (WJZ) have stated last night and this morning they are turning it off on the 17th. I have not check ABC or NBC yet.

At this point you are likely correct .. The current Law is February 17 which is now 21 days away. How many are likely to (now) have contingencies to stay on?
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#23 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,356 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 12:48 PM

James, I don't think so. The first mention of the bill (aside from the message of the bill's passing in the Senate) is the Motion to suspend the rules to pass the bill. It has not gone thru formal introduction, committee processing, etc.

But I'm reading as fast as I can find stuff. :)

The first mention was last night. :)

Start here and read 10 pages for last night's introduction and debate.
http://frwebgate.acc...84&position=all

#24 OFFLINE   Steve615

Steve615

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,410 posts
  • LocationMiddle TN area

Posted 28 January 2009 - 12:49 PM

Whatever happens I think a lot of stations are still going to turn off the analog signal on the 17th. Baltimore FOX (WBFF) and CBS (WJZ) have stated last night and this morning they are turning it off on the 17th. I have not check ABC or NBC yet.

WTVF (CBS) in Nashville is sticking to the 2/17 cutoff date.
Here is a recent FCC filing from WTVF in regards to their 2008 4th quarter DTV report.

http://wtvf.images.w... (as filed).PDF

WSMV (NBC) is also full-time HD in Nashville currently.
Sinclair Broadcasting Group had announced last year that WZTV (FOX) would be going full-time HD,but that has not happened yet.
AFAIK,WNPT (PBS) is good to go for full-time HD,but they claim to be waiting on TV service providers (satellite & cable) so alot more folks can view the HD channel without an OTA antenna.
WKRN (ABC) is owned & operated by the Young Broadcast Corp.
They have been keeping a low profile in regards to going full-time HD.

Edited by Steve615, 28 January 2009 - 12:57 PM.

Steve

#25 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,118 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 28 January 2009 - 12:49 PM

And those people that claim to not have been informed probably were not informed. The reason being because they probably rarely watch TV anyways.

But, but ... Isn't the delay being proposed because over 6 million folks want to buy a converter box but can't (for whatever reason)? That hardly sounds like people affected are not in the know. :confused:
VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

#26 OFFLINE   jpeckinp

jpeckinp

Legend

• Registered
  • 224 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 12:50 PM

Wait one minute here.
This reminds me of a story that gets passed around in High School.
How did it go from 3 million homes to 6.5 million homes to the Reuters report saying 20 Million homes?:confused:
Next week it will be 100% of homes are not ready.

#27 OFFLINE   msmith198025

msmith198025

Member of the Year

• Registered
  • 1,259 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 12:55 PM

Glad to see that this is more than likely dead

#28 OFFLINE   jpl

jpl

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,756 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 12:59 PM

I'm really confused by this. From what I understand the vote was about suspending rules for debate. Meaning that there was a vote of the order of: 'forget about the normal rules for debating this issue - let's vote to suspend those rules and just go right to a vote of the bill.' That's generally what that stuff means. It sounds like the vote to suspend the rules for debate are what failed, which means that the normal rules for debate of the bill are in place. But that one article in the Washington Post that was linked here (forget who posted that) is pretty clear - the bill died. Seems really odd that you would have the bill die like that when it was unanimus in the Senate. Especially since in the House the majority really does rule - not so much in the Senate where procedural rules can stop a vote (e.g. a filibuster). In the House, the agenda really is set by the majority - and if the democrats WANTED this bill to pass, there's nothing that the republicans could have done to stop it.

#29 OFFLINE   ziggy29

ziggy29

Icon

• Registered
  • 691 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio DMA

Posted 28 January 2009 - 01:07 PM

I'm really confused by this. From what I understand the vote was about suspending rules for debate. Meaning that there was a vote of the order of: 'forget about the normal rules for debating this issue - let's vote to suspend those rules and just go right to a vote of the bill.' That's generally what that stuff means. It sounds like the vote to suspend the rules for debate are what failed, which means that the normal rules for debate of the bill are in place. But that one article in the Washington Post that was linked here (forget who posted that) is pretty clear - the bill died.

My understanding is that this vote was necessary to "fast track" the legislation and bypass the usual lawmaking process. Unlike the legislation itself which can be passed with a simple majority of both houses, to suspend the normal rules require a 2/3 supermajority.

So in reality what that means -- I think -- is that this bill would now be required to go through all the usual processes, committees and the like before making it to the president's desk for a signature. But that process would take long enough that it would be after 2/17 anyway -- meaning it's dead.

Now maybe this will have more lives than a cat and maybe they'll try again with a few bones thrown to Republicans to try to get that supermajority, but I really don't know.

#30 OFFLINE   Pete K.

Pete K.

Icon

• Registered
  • 775 posts

In a nutshell, House Democrats were attempting to "fast track" the bill, with limited debate. Republicans scuttled the "fast track." The bill is not dead.
The House can still bring the bill up for a vote next week with lengthier debate, the addition of amendments, and a majority rules vote. The problem with that? The clock is ticking.

#31 OFFLINE   Sirshagg

Sirshagg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,922 posts

From what I've been reading a bill normally goes through a committee which will debate and possibly ammend the bill. The rules suspension means that the bill did not go through this process and went straight to the floor for a vote. Handling the bill like this requires a 2/3 vote to pass which it did not get.
Who is this "Vod Kanockers" that you speak of?

#32 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,623 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 01:09 PM

So they delayed voting on the delay?

Your tax dollars at work. :D
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#33 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,697 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 01:10 PM

Thank God the House voted against this bill! Let's turn off analog TV on 2/17 (as has been planned on for a long time) and move on. Of course, low power stations are not affected by the shutdown.
HD Snob - "Friends Don't Let Friends Watch Cable".
Electrical/RF Engineer & Inspector
DirecTV Equipment: HR24-200, HR24-100, 5LNB Slimline, AM21, SWiM 8 installed (MRV)
HR-2x Configuration: Native OFF. Units OFF when not in use.
TVs: 2 Panasonic Plasma TV's each using HDMI (one 1080p/one 720p)
DirecTV customer since 1998. Plus HD DVR package w/ NHL Center Ice & MLB Extra Innings.
OTA Antenna: Homebrew UHF & VHF antennas w/ 30dB amplifier fed w/ RG-6 Quad-shield coax.

#34 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 20,246 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 01:11 PM

The House Rules state that a suspension of rules to pass a bill are bound by many things, a couple of important ones (that I've found so far):
1) can only be introduced on Mondays or Tuesdays (possibly Wednesdays?) and the last 6 legislative days (not an issue, just mentioning it)
2) does not pass/fail the bill itself.
3) If failing, the Speaker may re-introduce the suspension motion again on a later date.
4) The Chairperson of the appropriate committee often can make the request without any consultation with the committee. So the committee may not have heard the bill or approved of it.

So I'm trying to track down what happens to this bill now. :)

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#35 OFFLINE   roadrunner1782

roadrunner1782

Icon

• Registered
  • 748 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 01:15 PM

I think most stations will still change on the 17th. I actually had an e-mail from Time Warner this morning telling me my Roadrunner bill was available on their website and at the bottom of the e-mail it said in somewhat bold letters that the transition was still in affect for the 17th!

#36 OFFLINE   Fontano

Fontano

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 333 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 01:18 PM

Thank God the House voted against this bill! Let's turn off analog TV on 2/17 (as has been planned on for a long time) and move on. Of course, low power stations are not affected by the shutdown.

Someone correct me if I am wrong.

Did they infact vote AGAINST the bill.

Or the procedural motions, where voted down.
Which were necessary to even bring up the vote on the bill?

I have not read it indepth yet, but to me it looks more like:
They voted against the motion to have a vote on the bill, not the bill itself.

#37 OFFLINE   Fontano

Fontano

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 333 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 01:19 PM

Does anyone know if any riders were added to the bill? That led to the prodominant party line vote?

#38 OFFLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,120 posts
  • LocationPeachtree City, GA.

Posted 28 January 2009 - 01:20 PM

But, but ... Isn't the delay being proposed because over 6 million folks want to buy a converter box but can't (for whatever reason)? That hardly sounds like people affected are not in the know. :confused:

No, it just means 6 million are not ready! They could be in possession of a voucher and chosen not to redeem it, they could be on a waiting for their voucher, they could be misinformed and think they are not ready for the digital transition when in fact they are, or they plan to wait until the very last second.

According to the last numbers I saw, there were less the waiting list was less then 1 million vouchers (keeping in mind that some may be requesting multiple vouchers)

Proud DirecTV customer since July, 1994

My Q3 2014 Set-Up

#39 OFFLINE   ziggy29

ziggy29

Icon

• Registered
  • 691 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio DMA

Posted 28 January 2009 - 01:20 PM

Someone correct me if I am wrong.

Did they infact vote AGAINST the bill.

Or the procedural motions, where voted down.
Which were necessary to even bring up the vote on the bill?

I have not read it indepth yet, but to me it looks more like:
They voted against the motion to have a vote on the bill, not the bill itself

They voted against suspending the usual rules to allow the bill to come to a vote without following the standard procedures. They did not vote against the bill itself.

The bill itself would only need a simple majority. The vote to suspend the rules required a 2/3 supermajority which it failed to muster.

#40 OFFLINE   Sirshagg

Sirshagg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,922 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 01:22 PM

SO this may still happen :(
Who is this "Vod Kanockers" that you speak of?

spam firewall