Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Breaking News: House refuses to fast track DTV Delay Act

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
179 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,222 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 01:23 PM

Seems really odd that you would have the bill die like that when it was unanimus in the Senate.

It passed the senate with UNANIMOUS CONSENT ... it was not a unanimous vote. Basically "without objection".

In the House, the agenda really is set by the majority - and if the democrats WANTED this bill to pass, there's nothing that the republicans could have done to stop it.

They can slow it down and stop it from being railroaded through by the majority.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   xIsamuTM

xIsamuTM

Icon

• Registered
  • 567 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 01:26 PM

It's like the opening of Hitchhikers only with TV.

"I'm sorry, but if you can't be bothered to take an interest in local affairs that's your own lookout. "
Here I am! Rock you like a Hadoken!!

#43 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 20,245 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 01:26 PM

The House does not have a party line supermajority necessary to pass this instantly. So now this bill goes thru the regular process and calendar. (Or dies from lack of timeliness.)

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#44 OFFLINE   GravelChan

GravelChan

Legend

• Registered
  • 219 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 01:29 PM

[quote name='Steve615
WSMV (NBC) is also full-time HD in Nashville currently.
Sinclair Broadcasting Group had announced last year that WZTV (FOX) would be going full-time HD,but that has not happened yet.
AFAIK,WNPT (PBS) is good to go for full-time HD,but they claim to be waiting on TV service providers (satellite & cable) so alot more folks can view the HD channel without an OTA antenna.

WKRN (ABC) is owned & operated by the Young Broadcast Corp.
They have been keeping a low profile in regards to going full-time HD.[/QUOTE']

KELO (CBS) Sioux Falls, SD.... also a Young Broadcasting station announced this morning that they will be switching on the 17'th regardless whether the bill passes or not.

#45 OFFLINE   minorthr

minorthr

Legend

• Registered
  • 177 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 01:36 PM

And those people that claim to not have been informed probably were not informed. The reason being because they probably rarely watch TV anyways.

Again sucks to be them. They will figure it out when they turn their TVs on and they don't work. They have had plenty of time to simply stumble on to the info. Its not like last Tuesday we just suddenly decided that Feb 17th we are shutting the analog signals off.
Setup:
HR24-500
HR20-700
HR24-500

#46 OFFLINE   BaldEagle

BaldEagle

Legend

• Registered
  • 134 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 01:38 PM

SO this may still happen :(

Not may happen, it will happen. Passed in the Senate, new vote to be taken in the house that only requires a simple majority to pass. The votes were not there the first time around for 2/3rd but will easily pass when only a majority is needed.

#47 OFFLINE   cb7214

cb7214

Icon

• Registered
  • 798 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 01:39 PM

And those people that claim to not have been informed probably were not informed. The reason being because they probably rarely watch TV anyways.

and if that was the case don't forget about the newspapers radio billboards etc that also had info on the transition
Directv Subscriber since 1999

XM Subscriber since June 2005

#48 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 20,245 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 01:41 PM

Not may happen, it will happen. Passed in the Senate, new vote to be taken in the house that only requires a simple majority to pass. The votes were not there the first time around for 2/3rd but will easily pass when only a majority is needed.

If it can be scheduled for a vote in time. That is the part that is unclear to me right now.

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#49 OFFLINE   jefbal99

jefbal99

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,838 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 01:42 PM

KELO (CBS) Sioux Falls, SD.... also a Young Broadcasting station announced this morning that they will be switching on the 17'th regardless whether the bill passes or not.

I spoke with a station engineer at WLNS in Lansing, a Young Broadcasting station, they can't move until WJRT in Flint moves as they are using the channel currently.

I hope that the move is not delayed, not the fault of the overwhelming majority that the minority didn't get their ducks in a row.
Receiving Equipment: AU9 Slimline w/Zinwell WB68 & SWM 8 | Winegard MS-2000 w/PS-1503 Power Injector
Living Room: HR22-100 w/AM-21 | Samsung HL-S4266W (HDMI) | Ethernet MRV | Pioneer HTS-GS1 5.1 | Yamaha DV-S6160 (Component/Digital Coaxial)
Bedroom: H21-200 w/AM-21 | Westinghouse LVM-42w2 (HDMI) | Ethernet MRV
Home Theatre: HR20-100 | Sanyo PLV-Z60 (Component/Optical) | Flexio 16:9 100" Screen | Ethernet MRV |Yamaha YHT-690 | XBox 360 (Component) | Harmony 880

#50 OFFLINE   jpl

jpl

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,756 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 01:44 PM

It passed the senate with UNANIMOUS CONSENT ... it was not a unanimous vote. Basically "without objection".

They can slow it down and stop it from being railroaded through by the majority.

Was it by unanimous concent? Everywhere I've read about it the bill passed unanimously - I took that to mean by unanimous vote, but I could be wrong. As for your second point, no that's not true. They can't slow it down. In the House the majority really does rule. They set the agenda on what get's debated and voted on. I don't want to migrate to the political here, because I know that's not allowed on this forum, however, since we're discussing procedural issues with regard to legislation I think it's valid to talk about this. Look at what happened late summer - as Congress was going into summer recess the GOP kept pushing for their position on drilling off-shore. They wanted to lift the Congressional ban on it. The democrats absoultely refused to even hold a debate on the bill. As a result, no debate happened. The bill was never introduced. It was never discussed (at least not while Congress was in session), and it certainly never came up for a vote. The GOP couldn't even prevent the House from being called to recess, although they tried. The rules simply didn't allow for it - the majority wanted to adjourn, so they did.

About the best that the minority can do is to do just what they did here - prevent votes on bills that require suspension of normal rules of debate. The only exception to this happens IF the majority GIVES the minority specific authority to act. For example, the majority could give the minority, through the adoption of the rules, the ability to bring up points of order... or offer up bills outside of the approval of the majority. But (again, I'm NOT trying to get political on this - just explaining my understanding of the procedures) one of the first things that Speaker Pelosi did was to take away any such authorization, when she took power in January of 2007. Prior to that the minority DID have some authority granted to it by the majority. When the majority flipped, those authorizations were taken away.

BTW, thanks to all the replies on the clarification. That makes alot of sense - the fact that the clock is ticking on this (I lost sight of just how close the scheduled transition was) would prevent a normal bill from going through. The Wash Post article then is wrong - they didn't vote down the bill. THAT'S where my confusion came from.

Edited by jpl, 28 January 2009 - 01:53 PM.

#51 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,095 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 28 January 2009 - 01:45 PM

No, it just means 6 million are not ready! They could be in possession of a voucher and chosen not to redeem it, they could be on a waiting for their voucher, they could be misinformed and think they are not ready for the digital transition when in fact they are, or they plan to wait until the very last second.

According to the last numbers I saw, there were less the waiting list was less then 1 million vouchers (keeping in mind that some may be requesting multiple vouchers)

I'll take that to mean you agree that it's hard to believe that all of these affected people are not in the know.
VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

#52 OFFLINE   tkrandall

tkrandall

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,795 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 01:49 PM

Has anyone seed the actual language in the senate bill as it pertains to which gets priority (existing analog broadcast or new permanent-RF-home digital broadcast) as of Feb 18? Hopefully, the new bill/law allows digital to trump any conflicting analog signal, and thereby force an analog shutdown in those cases.

#53 OFFLINE   Dave

Dave

Icon

• Registered
  • 864 posts

After some more investigation I have foumd that the bill is definately dead.
This was a special bill that:) needed a 2/3 majority to pass. It the bill, is now completly dead. It will not happen. The changeover is now set in stone unless they try to do a new bill completely. The change over right now is Feb. 17, 2009.

#54 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,072 posts

I seriously doubt the delay will do any good. If a person hasn't received the proper notice by now then it's on them. If this has to do with the converter coupons, give the money to the manufacturers and sell them at what it is with the discount already included.

It's the NAB'S and stations fault. They should've aired PSAS on the hour and half hour since 2006.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#55 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 20,245 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 01:50 PM

The latest Reuters report indicates that the bill could be brought up again next week without a rules suspension. Under those rules a couple things are possible:
1) simple majority (bill likely passes)
2) but--the bill can be amended! (again by simple majority).

If the bill is amended, it would have to go back to the Senate or a joint committee to resolve the differences.

So the bill is not dead yet.

Cheers,
Tom

Go Packers!

#56 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 20,245 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 01:52 PM

After some more investigation I have foumd that the bill is definately dead.
This was a special bill that:) needed a 2/3 majority to pass. It the bill, is now completly dead. It will not happen. The changeover is now set in stone unless they try to do a new bill completely. The change over right now is Feb. 17, 2009.

Links?

The bill would not normally be dead. It can be re-introduced in two ways: 1) again under a suspension of the rules (and would still need 2/3rds majority) or 2) normal bill introduction, committee, debate, possible amending, etc. (only requires simple majority votes.)

Go Packers!

#57 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,822 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 01:55 PM

Thanks, Tom, for that not terribly happy news.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#58 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 20,245 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 01:55 PM

Has anyone seed the actual language in the senate bill as it pertains to which gets priority (existing analog broadcast or new permanent-RF-home digital broadcast) as of Feb 18? Hopefully, the new bill/law allows digital to trump any conflicting analog signal, and thereby force an analog shutdown in those cases.

As far as the transition itself, the Senate Bill only extends the deadlines without modifying priority and without modifying the ability to transition early (under the existing rules to early transition.)

Cheers,
Tom

Go Packers!

#59 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,222 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 01:56 PM

Was it by unanimous concent? Everywhere I've read about it the bill passed unanimously - I took that to mean by unanimous vote, but I could be wrong.

Unanimous consent has been noted in our threads (and you can confirm by checking Thomas (congress.gov)).

As for your second point, no that's not true. They can't slow it down.

They already HAVE slowed it down by objecting to the "unanimous consent" in the house last night (where the speaker pro tem "heard" a 2/3rds majority before the roll call vote was requested) and by that vote not passing this morning. It is obvious that they can slow it down when they HAVE!

#60 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 20,245 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 02:00 PM

They already HAVE slowed it down by objecting to the "unanimous consent" in the house last night (where the speaker pro tem "heard" a 2/3rds majority before the roll call vote was requested) and by that vote not passing this morning. It is obvious that they can slow it down when they HAVE!

That is very interesting. Last night, I listened to the voice vote multiple times and thought I heard it was "not" 2/3rds in affirmative, tho the official record shows it otherwise.

Oh well, it ended up being "Yeas and Nays" vote today regardless.

Cheers,
Tom

Go Packers!

spam firewall