Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Breaking News: House refuses to fast track DTV Delay Act

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
179 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   ziggy29

ziggy29

Icon

• Registered
  • 691 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio DMA

Posted 28 January 2009 - 02:02 PM

I have a feeling this one's going to be a vampire that won't die. I don't think the silver bullet or the wooden stake has been applied just yet.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#62 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 20,250 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 02:04 PM

I have a feeling this one's going to be a vampire that won't die. I don't think the silver bullet or the wooden stake has been applied just yet.

I have my cross, but don't have my garlic yet. I fear similarly...

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#63 OFFLINE   HIPAR

HIPAR

Icon

• Registered
  • 749 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 02:05 PM

They just need to get a bill to President Obama before Feb 17 .. Still lots of time.

--- CHAS
But I don't want to go among mad people

#64 OFFLINE   homeskillet

homeskillet

Icon

• Registered
  • 506 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 02:06 PM

The CBS station in Kansas City is shutting down the analog on Feb. 17. It is expected the everybody else in Kansas City will follow.

#65 OFFLINE   Sirshagg

Sirshagg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,922 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 02:06 PM

If this goes to a regular vote I don't think here is any question it will pass. The ONLY question I see is if the process can be help up or otherwise delayed for 20 days.
Who is this "Vod Kanockers" that you speak of?

#66 OFFLINE   HDTVFreak07

HDTVFreak07

Icon

• Registered
  • 700 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 02:08 PM

kill that bill!!!
Kill that bill!!!
Kill that bill!!!

#67 OFFLINE   Dave

Dave

Icon

• Registered
  • 864 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 02:10 PM

This is a link I have to show it is a no go for the bill.
www.foxnews.com/politics/2009/01/28/house-votes-delaying-digitial-tv-transition ( According to Fox news the bill is completely dead.)

#68 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 20,250 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 02:12 PM

From an article by Adrianne Kroepsch, CQPolitics

Democratic leaders now will have to take the bill to the House Rules Committee to obtain a rule for debate, which would allow the measure to pass by a simple majority vote. Because the House is not in session for the rest of this week, that action is unlikely until next week.

More

(Which also points out that the Senate was a voice vote.

Cheers,
Tom

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#69 OFFLINE   Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz

Day Sleeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,846 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 28 January 2009 - 02:12 PM

Until the bill has been shot with a silver bullet, then a wooden stake pounded in a carcus, a clove of garlic hung around it's neck, and sprinkled with holy water, the bill is still alive in my opinion. It may be on life support and fading fast, but it is still alive.
"In many ways, this opera does fulfil my often quoted description of what most operas is about. The tenor is trying to sleep with the soprano, and the baritone is trying to stop them." - Sean Bianco, KXPR At The Opera
Check out my list of links.

#70 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 20,250 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 02:14 PM

This is a link I have to show it is a no go for the bill.
www.foxnews.com/politics/2009/01/28/house-votes-delaying-digitial-tv-transition ( According to Fox news the bill is completely dead.)

That report seems to be incomplete as in fact the bill was not voted upon, but rather a motion to suspend the rules (and simultaneously pass the bill) failed.

The bill can still proceed via normal means.

Cheers,
Tom

Go Packers!

#71 OFFLINE   danallen

danallen

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 02:18 PM

Millions have been spent in advertising, coupons and broadcast stations in the 2-17 conversion. No doubt, the number of those "in line' is over stated. I agree that there are some that want multiple coupons, including dealers that can then re-sell at full price but you would have to be a caveman not to have received the conversion date loud and clear. Please no e-mails from the cavemen on this!
The Senate bill was not mandatory for a delay anyway. The House delayed it to a mute point.

#72 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 20,250 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 02:20 PM

Millions have been spent in advertising, coupons and broadcast stations in the 2-17 conversion. No doubt, the number of those "in line' is over stated. I agree that there are some that want multiple coupons, including dealers that can then re-sell at full price but you would have to be a caveman not to have received the conversion date loud and clear. Please no e-mails from the cavemen on this!
The Senate bill was not mandatory for a delay anyway. The House delayed it to a mute point.

The cavemen are busy with Geico and likely will be thru the February 17th date, so you might be safe... :D

Go Packers!

#73 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,568 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 28 January 2009 - 02:23 PM

I was not expecting that to happen. Most of the brocasters were for the delay because it would allow them to have additional viewers for a bit longer thus increasing revenue streams from commercials.

I bet they'll get the same revenues whether they have an analog feed or not. Not having the analog feed saves them a lot of money; certainly enough to make up for a relatively small loss in audience.

I call baloney.

#74 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 20,250 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 02:27 PM

By the way, I thank everyone for keeping this thread so clean of political commentary and limited to the actions of the government.

Thank you and keep up the great work!
Tom

Go Packers!

#75 OFFLINE   ubankit

ubankit

AllStar

• Registered
  • 77 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 02:28 PM

It's the NAB'S and stations fault. They should've aired PSAS on the hour and half hour since 2006.

In the Houston area, we've been blasted with the "dtv changeover--Feb 17th, are you ready" ads on all the local stations for the last 3 to 4 months. I actually think I've seen as many of these ads as political ads during the summer. I think what got peoples attention in our area was that the stations have been doing "tests" for a couple of minutes, dropping the analog signal, then the viewers who aren't ready get a blank screen during the test. Then, "doh" sets in, then panic. I guess it's human nature to procrastinate, the older I get, the more I seem to:D
My question is since the program is out of money for the coupons, what happened to all of the unredeemed/expired coupons? Where did that money disappear to? Maybe the "dtv transition dept" needs a bailout:lol:

#76 OFFLINE   danallen

danallen

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 02:29 PM

But.... it clears the multiple frequencies that can hurt your OTA signal strength. With analog, digital, HD, AM and FM, cell and the like, I would think your reception will improve with only a digital transponder.

#77 OFFLINE   jpl

jpl

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,764 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 02:33 PM

You didn't read what I wrote. I said apart from procedural measures like this, they can't slow down anything that the majority wants to get through. This is a special case. If the democrats wanted the bill to pass, there's not a darn thing the republicans could do, during normal debate, to slow this bill down. They couldn't filibuster it... they couldn't continue raising points of order... they couldn't even offer up amendments without the majority's ok. THAT'S what I was talking about. This is a special case - this is not normal legislative action - this type of thing is meant for emergency action by the Congress.

#78 OFFLINE   aa9vi

aa9vi

Godfather

• Registered
  • 310 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 02:37 PM

Less than 5% of viewers are "helped" by this proposed delay. Most people have cable or satellite. I don't know what the obsession is with prolonging this thing. Still, if you have OTA, many people have pointed out that for some time, you have been warned of Feb. 17th. This shouldn't be an issue. Who cares to take bets that a new bill will come up with a simple majority vote within the next 3 weeks? I'm saying 3:1 that one will. Sadly, this isn't dead... far from it.

#79 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,568 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 28 January 2009 - 02:38 PM

But.... it clears the multiple frequencies that can hurt your OTA signal strength. With analog, digital, HD, AM and FM, cell and the like, I would think your reception will improve with only a digital transponder.

Interference isn't much of an issue for the bulk of the population. The issue is more one of the government being able to collect on the millions that they auctioned off the freed up space for.

Any real wins will likely come when a station moves their digital signal down in frequency and thereby increases their coverage area.

#80 OFFLINE   robmadden1

robmadden1

Legend

• Registered
  • 138 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 02:41 PM

http://tvdecoder.blo...l-tv-switch/?hp

spam firewall