Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Breaking News: House refuses to fast track DTV Delay Act

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
179 replies to this topic

#81 OFFLINE   danallen

danallen

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 02:46 PM

The KEY WORD is voluntary, the bad legislation would read MANDATORY. It does appear that PBS stations would be the only mandatory that would be affected for Security reasons. That being the case, only PBS would loose millions if the Bill passes from the Senate version.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#82 OFFLINE   giantsox

giantsox

Mentor

• Registered
  • 39 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 02:47 PM

Again sucks to be them. They will figure it out when they turn their TVs on and they don't work. They have had plenty of time to simply stumble on to the info. Its not like last Tuesday we just suddenly decided that Feb 17th we are shutting the analog signals off.

Television is not a "right". People will figure it out very quickly when the TV's don't work. Priorities will then be sorted out. It will be time to decide if you want to go to the store and spend $50 to fix this the same day or wait for however long for a coupon so this costs only $10 to fix. What is the big deal?
They've done studies, you know. 60% of the time it works, every time. - Brian Fantana

#83 OFFLINE   Jason Nipp

Jason Nipp

Analog Geek in a Digital World

• Super Moderators
  • 10,040 posts
  • LocationNorthern Illinois

Posted 28 January 2009 - 02:53 PM

Please remember that it is a forum rule violation to discuss politics on DBSTalk.

Having said that we are giving some leeway on the DTV delay...

Please do not stray off into other political comments. Violators will receive infractions and posts will be removed.

#84 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,835 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 02:55 PM

Television is not a "right".

That's absolutely true. Before anyone else says it, the airwaves are a public trust, like a national park, and broadcasters are allowed to use them in a way that (nominally) benefits the public. However, it is neither implicit nor explicit that anyone has a right to a receiver.

I supported the coupon program because I felt it was an inexpensive way to jumpstart the HDTV adoption process. I have never believed, nor will I ever believe, that it is the right of the people to have free electronics handed to them. If it were, I'd be first in line :)
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#85 OFFLINE   turey22

turey22

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 02:55 PM

slow down on the typing? i cant refresh that fast LOL

#86 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,719 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 28 January 2009 - 03:07 PM

This bill is NOT dead - just the fast tracking of it is (for this week).

The longer it takes to get through the House without changes, the more likely it is that it would be overcome by events / the calender. If they start making changes to the Senate bill - the longer it will take to become law and the more likely that it will die.

If it doesn't get signed by President Obama by 23:59:59 EST on Febuary 17, 2009, it is effectively DOA.
You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

#87 OFFLINE   FTA Michael

FTA Michael

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,473 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 03:20 PM

Although I'd still prefer to get the transition over with, I just read a reason for the delay that's the best I've seen: It's easier to put a new antenna on your roof in spring and summer than it is in February. And the major networks are now in favor of the delay because their regular season will be over by then.

Source: http://www.nytimes.c...works.html?_r=1

(My apologies if this is redundant; I couldn't bear to read the whole thread. :D)

#88 OFFLINE   kfcrosby

kfcrosby

Godfather

• Registered
  • 371 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 03:20 PM

It also wouldn't matter if it were postponed 4 months or 4 years, or 4 decades. There will always be that small percentage of people who still don't understand or will procrastinate indefinitely.

I couldn't agree more

Kevin Crosby
Memphis, TN
DirecTV subscriber since 1996

#89 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,361 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 03:25 PM

This bill is NOT dead - just the fast tracking of it is (for this week).

The longer it takes to get through the House without changes, the more likely it is that it would be overcome by events / the calender. If they start making changes to the Senate bill - the longer it will take to become law and the more likely that it will die.

If it doesn't get signed by President Obama by 23:59:59 EST on Febuary 17, 2009, it is effectively DOA.

The bill gives the FCC 30 days to create the rules needed to make this work. There is barely a time for a comment period let alone FCC action. The bill would have to be signed TODAY to have rules done by February 17th.

Just as we have argued what this means the FCC will open their process to comments. The current rules allow early analog shut off without permission in the last 90 days of analog operation but specifies dates last November through February 17th. This bill does NOT automatically change FCC rules ... those dates don't change until the FCC changes them.

If the law isn't passed until next week then the FCC will not have time to act. Even with Acting Commissioner Copps sharing the viewpoint that the transition delay is needed, completely scrapping the way the FCC makes rules to get this done by February 17th would not be a good thing.

Time is up. Do it, or let it die.

#90 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,719 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 28 January 2009 - 03:28 PM

Although I'd still prefer to get the transition over with, I just read a reason for the delay that's the best I've seen: It's easier to put a new antenna on your roof in spring and summer than it is in February. And the major networks are now in favor of the delay because their regular season will be over by then.

(My apologies if this is redundant; I couldn't bear to read the whole thread. :D)

The Networks are NOT the stations...

And while I agree that Febuary is not the optimum time to be on a roof installing an antenna - that was pointed out when this date was selected. At this point, it is my opinion that it is better to go through with it and deal with the problems than to delay it.

#91 OFFLINE   LCDSpazz

LCDSpazz

AllStar

• Registered
  • 75 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 03:33 PM

Tick tock, tick tock. Every day that passes makes it more and more unrealistic to move the date. The reality is that the ones who wanted the delay now have the political cover they need. If the transition goes smoothly, everyone forgets about all this. Now if the transition goes badly, they can say they wanted to help but were stopped by "point finger at those who voted agaisnt the delay". This has always been as much about appearances as anything else.

#92 OFFLINE   TerpEE93

TerpEE93

Mentor

• Registered
  • 33 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 03:42 PM

It also wouldn't matter if it were postponed 4 months or 4 years, or 4 decades. There will always be that small percentage of people who still don't understand or will procrastinate indefinitely.

I'm not sure we can blame this all on procrastinators. As I recall, the fund for the converter coupons ran out because the Government underestimated how many folks still have one or more TV's that are OTA only -- no cable or dish connected. There is a backlog of millions of requests for converter coupons that have not been fulfilled because there's no money there. I think the delay was more about trying to clear that backlog than trying to appease procrastinators.
Terp

D* user since 2/06, and 7/02-4/05 before that
E* user 12/98-2/00 and 4/05-4/06
Currently one HR20-700 with an HR10-250 and DP-921 in storage

#93 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,719 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 28 January 2009 - 03:43 PM

But, but ... Isn't the delay being proposed because over 6 million folks want to buy a converter box but can't (for whatever reason)? That hardly sounds like people affected are not in the know. :confused:

There is nothing stopping those 6 million households from going out and buying a converter box, without government coupon.

#94 OFFLINE   MercurialIN

MercurialIN

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,448 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 03:43 PM

I just think the whole "delay" idea is totally ridiculous. There has been plenty of notice about the Feb. 17 switch, anyone who hasn't seen it must simply not be that interested in TV viewing in the first place.

If it does get delayed what makes it likely those same people who will not be ready by Feb. 17 will be ready by June? The entire delay idea makes absolutely no common sense to me. :confused:

PS. I'm not saying this because Feb. 17 happens to be my birthday either :D

Melody

In Loving Memory Of Manda 8/31/2004-12/29/2008

HR24-100/S-Video/Mitsu SDTV
HR24-100*
HR24-500*
*both hooked HDMI to same Sony Bravia XBR 9

#95 OFFLINE   HDTVFreak07

HDTVFreak07

Icon

• Registered
  • 700 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 03:59 PM

Not a good reason. Millions have been warned for over a year and a half and action should have been taken when they KNEW winter would not be ideal. They knew about it in May, June, July, August, September and October, the typically ideal season to put antenna out or go buy one to put on their antenna. Instead, they sat on their phat lazy butts hoping for a miracle. Coupons? Lame excuse. They can scrounge up a few bucks to save little at a time and buy one. They're really inexpensive and I don't buy that people just didn't have the money, poor economy or not.

#96 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,835 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 04:01 PM

There is nothing stopping those 6 million households from going out and buying a converter box, without government coupon.

True indeed. They're only $49.99 at Best Buy, or put another way the cost of 10 cups of Starbucks or two trips to the manicurist.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#97 OFFLINE   davemayo

davemayo

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 04:07 PM

After reading this thread, I'm wishing I would have paid more attention to the School House Rock episode on how bills become laws....:eek2:
Go Hoos!

#98 OFFLINE   cartrivision

cartrivision

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,862 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 04:13 PM

I'm not sure we can blame this all on procrastinators. As I recall, the fund for the converter coupons ran out because the Government underestimated how many folks still have one or more TV's that are OTA only -- no cable or dish connected. There is a backlog of millions of requests for converter coupons that have not been fulfilled because there's no money there. I think the delay was more about trying to clear that backlog than trying to appease procrastinators.

We can blame people's procrastination for them not having a coupon. The coupon giveaway started at the beginning of 2008 and the only people on the wait-list for coupons are people who didn't apply until sometime in January of 2009, a whole year after the start of the coupon program, and with only a matter of weeks remaining before the analog shutoff. The lack of a coupon at this point in time is clearly a problem that people for the most part brought on themselves through procrastination.

#99 OFFLINE   cartrivision

cartrivision

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,862 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 04:19 PM

Does anyone have a link or info on the history of the delays in this analog shutdown? I know that this latest attempt wouldn't have been the first (or even second) time that the analogue shutdown was delayed.

#100 OFFLINE   HIPAR

HIPAR

Icon

• Registered
  • 749 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 04:28 PM

The proponents really goofed on this one. Why did they go for a two thirds majority suspended rules vote unless they were sure they had the votes for passage? Were there last moment defectors?

--- CHAS
But I don't want to go among mad people

spam firewall