Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Breaking News: House refuses to fast track DTV Delay Act

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
179 replies to this topic

#101 OFFLINE   Upstream

Upstream

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 04:39 PM

I just read a reason for the delay that's the best I've seen: It's easier to put a new antenna on your roof in spring and summer than it is in February.

Why would you have to put a new antenna on your roof?

If you rely on OTA television, you already have an antenna. If you don't rely on OTA television, you don't need an antenna.

I suppose there are a handful of people who only have VHF or UHF antennas, and now need to add the other. But most cities in the country have had both VHF and UHF analog transmissions, so anyone who was relying on OTA television for analog, would already have a VHF/UHF antenna.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#102 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,874 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 04:44 PM

Upstream, I agree with you in principle but there is a small percentage of those who have antennas that may not only be the wrong type but may also be poorly aimed or have other problems. While the theory was that digital would have better propagation, that's not always the case. I know of at least one person who is able to get reception (albeit poor) from 70 miles in analog but is not able to get digital reception from the same distance without using a larger antenna.

I'm not suggesting we cowtow to these people in any way, only saying that of the (admittedly small) number who have not dealt with this yet, there is an (admittedly smaller) subset who will need to make changes to their antennas.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#103 OFFLINE   cartrivision

cartrivision

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,862 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 04:49 PM

The proponents really goofed on this one. Why did they go for a two thirds majority suspended rules vote unless they were sure they had the votes for passage? Were there last moment defectors?

--- CHAS

As someone else alluded to, for the politicians, having the cover with their constituents of being able to say that they voted for the delay is just as good for them (the politicians) as an actual delay.... probably better, considering that the proponents will then get all the benefits of supporting a delay plus the ability to do finger pointing at those who opposed the delay, and by not forcing the issue any further, the delay proponents can also reap the benefits of no delay happening. It's a win, win, win situation for the supposed "losers" in the battle.

#104 OFFLINE   HDTVFreak07

HDTVFreak07

Icon

• Registered
  • 705 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 04:53 PM

Why would you have to put a new antenna on your roof?

If you rely on OTA television, you already have an antenna. If you don't rely on OTA television, you don't need an antenna.

I suppose there are a handful of people who only have VHF or UHF antennas, and now need to add the other. But most cities in the country have had both VHF and UHF analog transmissions, so anyone who was relying on OTA television for analog, would already have a VHF/UHF antenna.

You're EXACTLY right!! Thanks for pointing out the obvious.

#105 OFFLINE   RobertE

RobertE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,024 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 04:57 PM

Although I'd still prefer to get the transition over with, I just read a reason for the delay that's the best I've seen: It's easier to put a new antenna on your roof in spring and summer than it is in February. And the major networks are now in favor of the delay because their regular season will be over by then.

Source: http://www.nytimes.c...works.html?_r=1

(My apologies if this is redundant; I couldn't bear to read the whole thread. :D)

Winter conditions don't stop DirecTv and Dish from doing installations new customers. ;)
Have an Error or Diagnostic code? Find out what it means and how to fix it here: Click Me
Having issues with your HD locals? Report them here: Click Me
Is your receiver compatible with MRV? Check Here

#106 OFFLINE   Tim Petlock

Tim Petlock

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 05:06 PM

Two simple words for those who didn't figure out the DTV transition - Library Card.

Nearly every federal dollar spent on converter boxes goes abroad anyway - are there any that are truly assembled in the USA? I'm all for inclusiveness but by the time we put off the DTV transition there will be millions homeless or evicted. I cannot believe congress would waste time on this.

It should have been scheduled to be switched off precisely seven days before the super bowl. There would still be those who miss out, but many of those six million would have suddenly had a big motivation.

Yes - I sound a bit heartless. Being unemployed for two months will do that for ya.

#107 OFFLINE   Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz

Day Sleeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,884 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 28 January 2009 - 05:09 PM

The only reason why this is a issue is that Obama raised the issue at the beginning of January.

:blink:

There is a old saying, "Lack of planning on your part does NOT constitute an emergency on my part." The congress people are not aware of the logistics when you change the date so close to a established deadline. There are stations which are dependent on other stations for equipment and frequency changes for non-interference. Look at the headaches that the Denver stations encountered when trying to construct new towers due to the NIMBYs. You cannot establish contracts to construct/tear down towers, then, with construction less than 30 days away, "Sorry, we've decided to postpone." IT DOES NOT WORK THAT WAY. We even have problems evacuating an entire city within two days due to a hurricane, and that is with established evacuation plans in place.
"In many ways, this opera does fulfil my often quoted description of what most operas is about. The tenor is trying to sleep with the soprano, and the baritone is trying to stop them." - Sean Bianco, KXPR At The Opera
Check out my list of links.

#108 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,805 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 05:14 PM

It seems this is a Squeaky Wheel issue with enough grease in place to make it to the station. :D
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#109 OFFLINE   cartrivision

cartrivision

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,862 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 05:16 PM

Winter conditions don't stop DirecTv and Dish from doing installations new customers. ;)

Exactly. While the numbers will likely be pretty small, some percentage of the remaining analog-only households will become DirecTV households because of the analog shutdown, so I say shut-em-down, sooner than later.

#110 OFFLINE   ziggy29

ziggy29

Icon

• Registered
  • 691 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio DMA

Posted 28 January 2009 - 05:27 PM

True. But while I hope this doesn't get delayed, I don't think we can compare an experienced professional with professional equipment and safety training to a novice DIYer with a ladder, a wrench and only half a clue.

#111 OFFLINE   HersheyBud

HersheyBud

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 05:31 PM

True indeed. They're only $49.99 at Best Buy, or put another way the cost of 10 cups of Starbucks or two trips to the manicurist.

LOL Stuart. How many people here would know how many trips to the Manucurist would come to $49? I'll have to check my nails...

#112 OFFLINE   ziggy29

ziggy29

Icon

• Registered
  • 691 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio DMA

Posted 28 January 2009 - 05:35 PM

LOL Stuart. How many people here would know how many trips to the Manucurist would come to $49? I'll have to check my nails...

Out here in the boonies it's $19 (probably $15 plus tip). I know because I put all of our financial activities into Quicken and I see the occasional $19 check written by my wife to her manicurist.

#113 OFFLINE   rhipps

rhipps

Legend

• Registered
  • 127 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 05:38 PM

We RVers are probably one of the largest OTA user groups in the CONUS since EVERY motorhome/travel trailer I am familiar with has an OTA (most of which are the Weingard bowtie variety). Everyone I know has dealt with it long ago by either getting a converter box and/or new TV with an ATSC tuner. And most of us are seniors. So WHO ARE the dummies who have sat on their butts and done nothing to help themselves? I will leave the answer to your imagination, gentle reader.

#114 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 20,252 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 05:39 PM

Not a good reason. Millions have been warned for over a year and a half and action should have been taken when they KNEW winter would not be ideal. They knew about it in May, June, July, August, September and October, the typically ideal season to put antenna out or go buy one to put on their antenna. Instead, they sat on their phat lazy butts hoping for a miracle. Coupons? Lame excuse. They can scrounge up a few bucks to save little at a time and buy one. They're really inexpensive and I don't buy that people just didn't have the money, poor economy or not.

Recall that the heavy advertising and promotions did not start until in the fall. Very little time for some people to think and react before bad winter set in.

And RobertE... Would you put a dish on a 40' mast on top of an icy roof? :) Dishes can go low (some/most of the time. Long distance OTA antennas need to go high.)

Cheers,
Tom

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#115 OFFLINE   Grentz

Grentz

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,916 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 05:42 PM

This whole thing has already been delayed once, I just wish they could get it over with already. There are so many reasons not to extend it and so few to extend it IMO.

O well, we shall see I guess.

On the distance thing, is it not true that once analog goes off the digital transmitters will be ramped up a bit to increase reception? That is what I heard numerous times from people and it seems logical.
-Grentz
Subscriber since Oct. 1996
HR21-700, HR22-100, H24-100 (SWM)
~Detailed Setup~

Directv Signal Strength Posting Tool - Excel Ver. Web Ver.

#116 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 20,252 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 05:46 PM

This whole thing has already been delayed once, I just wish they could get it over with already. There are so many reasons not to extend it and so few to extend it IMO.

O well, we shall see I guess.

On the distance thing, is it not true that once analog goes off the digital transmitters will be ramped up a bit to increase reception? That is what I heard numerous times from people and it seems logical.

In some places it is true that the stations will broadcast on more power in the future. (I won't give a date at this point.) :)

The key is if they are causing interference to existing analog stations. If they might be, the are likely at reduced power. Or if they are going to shift to another frequency, they might be.

But in areas with no interference, a station that isn't shifting is likely at full power now.

Cheers,
Tom

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#117 OFFLINE   mreposter

mreposter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,706 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 06:01 PM

We RVers are probably one of the largest OTA user groups in the CONUS since EVERY motorhome/travel trailer I am familiar with has an OTA (most of which are the Weingard bowtie variety). Everyone I know has dealt with it long ago by either getting a converter box and/or new TV with an ATSC tuner. And most of us are seniors. So WHO ARE the dummies who have sat on their butts and done nothing to help themselves? I will leave the answer to your imagination, gentle reader.

The reports I've seen (please don't ask me for URLs...) are that the "unprepared" fall into three sometimes overlapping categories: senior citizens, the poor, and those in rural areas. While I buy some of this, we can all agree that you're never going to get 100% conversion ahead of time. I also suspect that a large number of the TVs not ready are secondary sets in homes where the primary TV is on cable or D/E*.

On I side note, I suspect that in about a month Goodwill is gonna be flooded with old analog TVs. ;)
.......... There are none so blind as those who can not see it in HD.
.......... Directv customer since January 2000.

#118 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 20,252 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 06:07 PM

The reports I've seen (please don't ask me for URLs...) are that the "unprepared" fall into three sometimes overlapping categories: senior citizens, the poor, and those in rural areas. While I buy some of this, we can all agree that you're never going to get 100% conversion ahead of time. I also suspect that a large number of the TVs not ready are secondary sets in homes where the primary TV is on cable or D/E*.

On I side note, I suspect that in about a month Goodwill is gonna be flooded with old analog TVs. ;)

James Long posted the stats on the top DMAs and houses without any preparations vs. partial preparations. (Sad to see that Salt Lake was higher than I expected, but many in this DMA are really served via translator stations that possibly won't switch immediately.)

Cheers,
Tom

Go Packers!

#119 OFFLINE   RobertE

RobertE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,024 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 06:25 PM

Recall that the heavy advertising and promotions did not start until in the fall. Very little time for some people to think and react before bad winter set in.

And RobertE... Would you put a dish on a 40' mast on top of an icy roof? :) Dishes can go low (some/most of the time. Long distance OTA antennas need to go high.)

Cheers,
Tom

If thats where its gotta go, its where its gotta go. Been there done that. :(
Have an Error or Diagnostic code? Find out what it means and how to fix it here: Click Me
Having issues with your HD locals? Report them here: Click Me
Is your receiver compatible with MRV? Check Here

#120 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 20,252 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 06:44 PM

The House will adjourn until Friday morning. (Unless a message from the Senate regarding another bill is received.)

Go Packers!

Protected By... spam firewall...And...