Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Breaking News: House refuses to fast track DTV Delay Act

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
179 replies to this topic

#141 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,917 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 29 January 2009 - 08:58 AM

Something that the coupon advocates may not have considered: the darn things expire. Many early coupon grabbers had no desirable options and they aren't eligible under the current plan to get new coupons.

Or perhaps some folks simply got the coupons because the could and then realized (or decided) to not use them.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#142 OFFLINE   Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz

Day Sleeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,845 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 29 January 2009 - 09:01 AM

What I found interesting was that the coupons could ONLY be used for the converter boxes, and could NOT be applied to a purchase of a TV with a ATSC tuner. Of course, the electronics retailers are more interested in selling you a new TV than a converter box.
"In many ways, this opera does fulfil my often quoted description of what most operas is about. The tenor is trying to sleep with the soprano, and the baritone is trying to stop them." - Sean Bianco, KXPR At The Opera
Check out my list of links.

#143 OFFLINE   bobukcat

bobukcat

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,964 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 09:06 AM

Or perhaps some folks simply got the coupons because the could and then realized (or decided) to not use them.

I ordered two of them even though I personally knew I wouldn't need either. I then checked the setups of everyone of my technically challenged family and friends and figured out one of my brothers needed one. I used that one to get him squared away and the other expired as I saw no need to have a converter box setting around collecting dust.

BTW - there has been an ample supply of converters available around here for many months.

#144 OFFLINE   tnsprin

tnsprin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 09:20 AM

My question is since the program is out of money for the coupons, what happened to all of the unredeemed/expired coupons? Where did that money disappear to? Maybe the "dtv transition dept" needs a bailout:lol:

For recent numbers see http://www.dbstalk.c...9&postcount=129

The fund is not out of money. If all the currently valid coupons are redeemed it runs out of money. A part of the problem has been the delay between expiration and time to redeem the coupon (you must buy before the coupon expires and then there is some additional time before the coupon gets recorded as redeemed). Until that time limit is reached they don't release the funds for new coupons for those in the waiting queue.

I, for one, don't want to see them delay the transition. If they really feel they must they could pass some additional contingency funding to allow the release of more coupons.
Ex Dish subscriber
Fios TV subscriber on 3/8/10

#145 OFFLINE   msmith

msmith

Icon

• Registered
  • 808 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 09:20 AM

Apparently, there's another problem - installation assistance.

The FCC has requested that the ARRL (ham radio association) nationally encourage its local clubs to hold programs on the transition. Our club did - the local papers failed to pick up the press release so we got no public attending (just us hams). It was a good program with a demonstration of analog, a converter box, and an ATSC TV.

Then I got a request from the local FCC (via a ham radio club) for people to volunteer to assist the City of Philadelphia with converter box installations. The idea was to come down and be paired with a city volunteer (who has less technical training) to go to the homes of people and install the boxes they already own. Those residents would request the installation via the 311 telephone system. I'm out of work so I agreed to volunteer for a day or two.

I got a call yesterday at noon from the Philly person. She wanted me to attend a training session at 1pm today, and then work 5 days a week doing 4 installations a day for a stipend of $100 per week. When I explained that I was only volunteering for one or two days total (and didn't care about that small amount of money), she wanted me to show up for training anyway. I live 20 miles away outside Trenton - $20 per day wouldn't even cover my parking in Philadelphia.

I sent an e-mail to the FCC employee who recruited me and he agreed that the time commitment was too much. So I'm not going to the training today. If they still want the help they can call back and we'll work out a one or two day schedule.

#146 OFFLINE   leww37334

leww37334

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 09:41 AM

wow, installation assistance

1. unscrew coax from back of tv
2. screw coax into DTV box input
3. take new coax, screw one end into tv (where old coax was)
4. screw other end into output of DTV box.

perhaps the nanny state could require the dtv box to come with one of the coaxes already screwed on this would eliminate step 3.

now if you need antenna assistance, you need to see the broadcast stations who used the DTV transition as an excuse to change from UHF to VHF or VHF to UHF.

Training is over, who do I see in the government to collect my fee for providing training?
“Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it. Do not count on them. Leave them alone.” - Ayn Rand

#147 OFFLINE   samhevener

samhevener

Godfather

• Registered
  • 302 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 10:09 AM

Or perhaps "If you don't know where you are going, you might wind up someplace else."

I believe that is where Rockefeller/Wexler are going. Somewhere else than they say they are going.

"The other teams could make trouble for us if they win." and
"You wouldn't have won if we'd beaten you." are also good. :)

Good ones James, they all sound good to me.
AN OLD GEEZER WHO REMEMBERS THE DUMONT TELEVISION NETWORK AND IT'S TOP RATED "CAPTAIN VIDEO AND HIS VIDEO RANGERS", TV NEWS ANCHORMEN WEARING HATS DURING THE NEWSCAST, ONLY 180 SECONDS OF COMMERICALS EACH HALF HOUR, 3 STATIONS ON THE AIR WITH THEIR TEST PATTERNS AIRED FROM 2 TO 3PM, PROGRAMMING FROM 3PM TO 11:30 AND SIGNING OFF AT 11:30PM. HOW COULD I FORGET THE SINGLE FRAME VERTICAL ROLL WHEN THE STATIONS SWITCHED FROM NETWORK TO LOCAL OR LOCAL TO NETWORK AND THE TIME TONE ON THE HOUR.

#148 OFFLINE   msmith

msmith

Icon

• Registered
  • 808 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 10:29 AM

A correction.

I spoke to them today and they can handle me helping just a few days. So I will be going to the training.

They're also providing transportation reimbursement.

#149 OFFLINE   GutBomb

GutBomb

Godfather

• Registered
  • 332 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 10:30 AM

perhaps the nanny state could require the dtv box to come with one of the coaxes already screwed on this would eliminate step 3.

now if you need antenna assistance, you need to see the broadcast stations who used the DTV transition as an excuse to change from UHF to VHF or VHF to UHF.

Training is over, who do I see in the government to collect my fee for providing training?

That's kind of the point. My mom's not gonna know what "coax" is. And if there's more than one coaxial input on her TV she's not going to know where to put it. She's also equally clueless to what VHF and UHF are. Just wait until she starts scanning for channels (if she can get that far on her own). I'm already going to have to walk her through it when the frequency assignment changes happen.

I set her up so she's fine, but spouting off terms at people who are non-technical does nothing but confuse the situation for them.

#150 OFFLINE   Sirshagg

Sirshagg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,922 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 10:31 AM

Question #1 - What's a coax?
Who is this "Vod Kanockers" that you speak of?

#151 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,861 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 10:32 AM

If you're on OTA, it's the one wire going into your TV that isn't the power plug.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#152 OFFLINE   Sirshagg

Sirshagg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,922 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 10:42 AM

If you're on OTA, it's the one wire going into your TV that isn't the power plug.

Really? What about the VCR? ;)
Who is this "Vod Kanockers" that you speak of?

#153 OFFLINE   msmith

msmith

Icon

• Registered
  • 808 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 10:43 AM

You want $20 for four of those sessions? That's what they're paying.

I think we're going to have to teach the users how to re-scan, because we have several stations changing frequency on cutover day. One is going from UHF back to it's analog channel 6.

#154 OFFLINE   giantsox

giantsox

Mentor

• Registered
  • 39 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 11:07 AM

Really? What about the VCR? ;)

The VCR? I'm pretty sure thats the rectangular box that has been flashing 12:00 for the last 20 years.;)
They've done studies, you know. 60% of the time it works, every time. - Brian Fantana

#155 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,581 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 11:15 AM

Fun ... but let's stay on topic as much as possible. :)

:backtotop

#156 OFFLINE   CyberTrip02

CyberTrip02

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 11:23 AM

I believe the figure is 6 million households or about 6%. (rough math.)

Well considering the US population is around 305 million I would say 2% is roughly correct. 6% would be right around 18 million.

#157 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,581 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 11:26 AM

Well considering the US population is around 305 million I would say 2% is roughly correct. 6% would be right around 18 million.

Don't confuse households with people. The Nielson numbers being quoted are households.

#158 OFFLINE   kariato

kariato

AllStar

• Registered
  • 52 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 12:11 PM

I use OTA HD for all my HD DVR's at home since I live in an area not served yet by dish HD lil and the problem is not just putting a converter box before your coax input vcr or tv. The real problem is the antenna. I've picked up a OTA signal before with a coat hanger and alot of people watch OTA probably have poor or even regular antenna's which worked with NTSC. Finding the right antenna for your ATSC signal can be a real problem even if you got to the web site to look up which type you need. Not the first antenna you buy will work. You really need a voucher for new antenna alot of the time. Alot of people will fall off the digital cliff rather than not have a converter box.

#159 OFFLINE   the_batman

the_batman

AllStar

• Registered
  • 75 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 12:23 PM

Can I have a voucher to defer the cost of my DirecTV?

#160 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,917 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 29 January 2009 - 12:54 PM

Can I have a voucher to defer the cost of my DirecTV?

Now, and that's not what this thread is about ..
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

spam firewall