Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Breaking News: House refuses to fast track DTV Delay Act

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
179 replies to this topic

#161 OFFLINE   Cholly

Cholly

Old Guys Rule!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,402 posts
  • LocationIndian Trail, NC

Posted 29 January 2009 - 01:34 PM

I use OTA HD for all my HD DVR's at home since I live in an area not served yet by dish HD lil and the problem is not just putting a converter box before your coax input vcr or tv. The real problem is the antenna. I've picked up a OTA signal before with a coat hanger and alot of people watch OTA probably have poor or even regular antenna's which worked with NTSC. Finding the right antenna for your ATSC signal can be a real problem even if you got to the web site to look up which type you need. Not the first antenna you buy will work. You really need a voucher for new antenna alot of the time. Alot of people will fall off the digital cliff rather than not have a converter box.

Not wishing to beat a dead horse, but there is no such thing as an ATSC or HDTV antenna, despite the hype you see on antenna packages. That being said, there is a strong possibility that people who have gotten a usable picture on an analog TV with an existing antenna will not get one at all with a digital signal on the same TV with a converter box, or for that matter, with a new digital TV.
(By the way, all TV's 13" and up currently on the market have ATSC tuners.) These people are left with two options: get a satisfactory antenna or subscribe to a pay TV service.
Tell all this to an elderly widow (or to anyone not technically inclined), to whom a TV remote is a "clicker" and is totally at a loss when it comes to the antenna mystique.
Although Thomas Jefferson said, "Delay is preferable to error", in this case, delaying the changeover is an error, despite the good intentions of the president, congress and Consumers Union in promoting the delay.

Charlie
--------------------

Family Room: Sony KDFE-55A20 55" LCD RPTV; Yamaha RX-V663 AVR. Paradigm speakers - Focus fronts, CC170 center, PDR-8 subwoofer, Atom surrounds, ADP rear center; TiVoRoamio Plus, LG BH200 HD DVD/Blu-ray player via HDMI to AVR
Bedroom: Vizio 42" 3D TV, Pioneer VSX-521-K AVR, Panasonic 3D DVD player, Energy Take Classic 5.1 speakers, Roku 2 XD, TiVo Premiere, Insignia HD radio tuner, Toshiba HD DVD player

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#162 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

High tech and loving it.

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 20,245 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 01:43 PM

Installation issues:
Coax... Huh? what's that
Diplex cables (anyone else remember that stuff?)
Baluns... (nope, they ain't them helium thingies at parties)

This is not trivial to everyone so please be kind...
Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#163 OFFLINE   dave1234

dave1234

Icon

• Registered
  • 511 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 01:57 PM

Portland, Oregon stations have annouced they are making the transistion on the 17th regardless of what congress does.

http://www.oregonliv..._digital_t.html

#164 OFFLINE   SParker

SParker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,552 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 02:01 PM

I got this email from my local station after I sent an email urging them to switch on the 17th.
----------------------
Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us. The House rejected the DTV delay bill yesterday. The House will probably hold a revote next week. We'll announce our plans if the bill is approved.

Janet Mason
WZZM 13
President & General Manager
Grand Rapids, MI
---------------------

My guess is she means if it passes they will go ahead anyways, just my gut feeling.

#165 OFFLINE   Herdfan

Herdfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,883 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 02:05 PM

So what happens when Congress gets wind of all these stations killing analog on 2/17 despite their efforts to delay the transition?

I see them getting mad and writing in a new clause that prohibits early transition. These stations need to keep their mouths shut.

#166 OFFLINE   ibooksrule

ibooksrule

Godfather

• Registered
  • 435 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 02:30 PM

Really? What about the VCR? ;)

Who still has a VCR in 2009? That was dead years ago. Oh wait my mom still has a VCR and laughs at me because she says well what if you want to watch a tape.

I really dont understand people having a VCR in 2009. They dont make tapes any more they dont produce anything on VHS anymore either.

I think it was a waste of money for the GOVT to provide these coupons anyway. Why should they pay for it? I mean its what $40 for one of these things. And very few people do not have at least satellite or cable anymore.
We are such a nanny state. Everyone thinks that because the technology is changing the govt should provide coupons for converter boxes

#167 OFFLINE   jodavis

jodavis

AllStar

• Registered
  • 63 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 02:58 PM

Who still has a VCR in 2009? That was dead years ago. Oh wait my mom still has a VCR and laughs at me because she says well what if you want to watch a tape.

I really dont understand people having a VCR in 2009. They dont make tapes any more they dont produce anything on VHS anymore either.

I think it was a waste of money for the GOVT to provide these coupons anyway. Why should they pay for it? I mean its what $40 for one of these things. And very few people do not have at least satellite or cable anymore.
We are such a nanny state. Everyone thinks that because the technology is changing the govt should provide coupons for converter boxes

I saw just the other day where they just killed laserdisc, I think VHS will be around for quite a while. On the DTV transition no matter how long you wait some people won't be ready. I know lots of people who have no idea what an OTA is or what UHF/VHF mean but I don't know anybody who doesn't have a "nerd" that they call when something happens to their TV. Flip the switch and people will figure it out.
DirecTV sub since 11/11/06
HR20 X 2
7MC on an Custom HTPC
- Intel Core2 Duo
- 6 gigs Ram
- 5TB recording drive
- 5TB of movie rips via HP WHS
- 2 H20 via Hauppauge HDPVR and RS232
- 2 ATSC Tuners via antenna
XBOX 360 X 5

CEer since Santa and Elvis

#168 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 38,666 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 02:58 PM

So what happens when Congress gets wind of all these stations killing analog on 2/17 despite their efforts to delay the transition?

I see them getting mad and writing in a new clause that prohibits early transition. These stations need to keep their mouths shut.

Congress needs to get it in the bill NOW if they expect to prohibit transition under existing rules. The existing rules allow shutdown with 30 day notification any time in the last 90 days of analog (started Nov 19th). No permission required, just tell the FCC why analog is being disabled. (Financial concerns and clearing channels for digital transition are good reasons.) A June 12th date creates an odd window in March where we will no longer be within 90 days of transition ... it is up to the FCC what they do with the sketchy language in the current bill. They will have 30 days after the law is signed by Obama to write new rules. That includes a comment period where stations will be able to express their influence.

I used a VCR to record an analog test a couple of days ago. The primary DVR doesn't receive analog channels.

#169 OFFLINE   msmith

msmith

Icon

• Registered
  • 808 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 03:11 PM

To clarify:

The Philadelphia program is one of only 12 in the country with grants from the FCC, and the only one for a city.

There are three parts:

1. The Philadelphia 311 (like 911 for city services) will be trained to assist callers with converter box installation.
2. Several community centers around the city will have a demonstration setup staffed to show people how to set up their converter box at home.
3. For low income, disabled and elderly, the installation teams will go to their homes and install up to 2 converter boxes (that the resident bought themselves) provided that they do not receive TV via cable or satellite and don't already have a converter box working.

One tricky thing will be training the user to re-scan when the channels move on 2/18 or whenever it happens.

#170 OFFLINE   dennispap

dennispap

Icon

• Registered
  • 645 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 03:45 PM

Several stations have already shut down their analog feed and disabled portions of that equipment. I dont think they will put in a clause making for mandatory analog, when some stations now dont have the ability to do analog, especially when the govt is changing the rules at the last minute.

#171 OFFLINE   Geronimo

Geronimo

Native American Potentate

• Gold Members
  • 8,295 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 03:51 PM

I do want to commend the site for getting the headline correct. Almost everywhere it is being reported that the House defeated the bill which is not quite what happened.

I am not for an extension but there are already efforts uderway to schedule another vote. We will see what happens.
I never cared for all the signatures that insult posters with other points of view.

#172 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

High tech and loving it.

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 20,245 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 03:54 PM

I do want to commend the site for getting the headline correct. Almost everywhere it is being reported that the House defeated the bill which is not quite what happened.

I am not for an extension but there are already efforts uderway to schedule another vote. We will see what happens.

Thank you.
Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#173 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,694 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 29 January 2009 - 03:54 PM

What got defeated was the fast track vote so the bill could sail through without going to committee, and House debate. We think we have this one right :D
You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

#174 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 38,666 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 04:05 PM

What got defeated was the fast track vote so the bill could sail through without going to committee, and House debate. We think we have this one right :D

The funny thing is that Geronimo asked the question just as I was working on shortening the title. Still accurate?

#175 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,694 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 29 January 2009 - 04:28 PM

The funny thing is that Geronimo asked the question just as I was working on shortening the title. Still accurate?

Close enough :D

I agree with your edit. Is that good enough ?

#176 OFFLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,034 posts
  • LocationPeachtree City, GA.

Posted 29 January 2009 - 07:02 PM

If I remember my Government class correctly (been 20+ years so I am probably wrong) but if this bill gets through committee and gets back to the house floor in time, all it would take to throw a wrench in the works is someone throwing a rider on to it. The bill would then go back to Senate for a new vote..

Proud DirecTV customer since July, 1994

My Q2 2014 Set-Up

#177 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,694 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 29 January 2009 - 07:10 PM

If I remember my Government class correctly (been 20+ years so I am probably wrong) but if this bill gets through committee and gets back to the house floor in time, all it would take to throw a wrench in the works is someone throwing a rider on to it. The bill would then go back to Senate for a new vote..

That would be MY understanding of the situation...
And it's been longer than that for me...

#178 OFFLINE   CliffV

CliffV

Legend

• Registered
  • 253 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 07:30 PM

Why would you have to put a new antenna on your roof?

If you rely on OTA television, you already have an antenna. If you don't rely on OTA television, you don't need an antenna.

I suppose there are a handful of people who only have VHF or UHF antennas, and now need to add the other. But most cities in the country have had both VHF and UHF analog transmissions, so anyone who was relying on OTA television for analog, would already have a VHF/UHF antenna.

Last summer I e-mailed my sister to see if she was ready for the transition. I knew she couldn't hook up a converter box, because last year I had to hook up a DVD player for her.

She ran her TV off a set of VHF rabbit ears and her Portland stations would require UHF also. We emailed back and forth a couple of times and it was clear that she was confused. Finally (after a 2 week pause), she e-mailed me that she picked up basic cable for $10 a month. That sounded like a desperation move to me.

I suspect there are a lot of confused people out there.

#179 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 38,666 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 02:53 AM

New senate bill, new thread ...
http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=151219

#180 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

High tech and loving it.

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 20,245 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 09:47 AM

An educational note explaining why the first Senate bill is completely dead in the House, why suspension of House Rules was required, and therefore why a new bill was required (or an amendment would be necessary.)

House Rules require "Pay as You Go". The DTV Delay bills intend to expend monies in the converter coupon program, which requires some form of "how we gonna pay for it" in the House. Hence the required suspension of rules. Not just for fast-tracking as I had originally thought.

The new bill makes it clear that the coupon section of the bill will not take affect until subsequent legislature authorizes the expenditures:

(d) Condition of Modifications- The amendments made by this section shall not take effect until the enactment of additional budget authority after the date of enactment of this Act to carry out the analog-to-digital converter box program under section 3005 of the Digital Television Transition and Public Safety Act of 2005.

Carry on in the other thread,
Tom
Go Packers!

spam firewall