Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

How many TVs do you say I have DISH?

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#51 OFFLINE   dmspen

dmspen

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 1,493 posts
  • LocationLos Gatos, CA - near San Jose

Posted 17 February 2009 - 12:22 PM

Yes, so would I. The problem is that DISH did not have the 612 when I got my first 2 622s. Now, since I have 2 622s, a 522, they say I hook up to 6 TVs. I don't and can't. With a slab foundation and all my pipes and heater ducts running between floors (2 story townhouse), routing cable to another TV is ludicrously expensive. I only use the 622s on single TVs so a 612 would be perfect.

I have 4 TVs - 3 HD and 1 SD and they are on 2 separate floors on opposite ends of the house.

FYI if I needed HD on all 4 TV's then I would have gone with 4 612's. Well actually in the kitchen likely not a DVR anyway.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#52 OFFLINE   dmspen

dmspen

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 1,493 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 12:24 PM

I did try that. They won't do anything as long as I have "too many" tuners. I would have to deactivate at least one 622, then upgrade the 522. Problem is, I could not re-activate the 622 as it would violate the number of tuners rule and I'm back to square 1. I also couldn't 'downgrade' the 622 to a 612 as only 1 upgrade per year is allowed.

If I understand you correctly, you have two 622s and one 522 on the lease, why couldn't you upgrade your 522 to a 612?

#53 OFFLINE   dmspen

dmspen

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 1,493 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 12:29 PM

If I deactivate a 622, I could upgrade my 522 to a 612. The problem is then I can't re-activate the 622 as it then violates the tuner rules. I can't swap it for a 612 as only 1 upgrade/swap is allowed per year. So I would end up with a 622 and 612. That's going backwards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmspen
...Other options were to deactivate my current receivers then add another. Well that doesn't really work, does it? ...

Why not?

#54 OFFLINE   dmspen

dmspen

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 1,493 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 12:35 PM

It's not absurd to use it for 2 TVs...it's absurd for DISH to assume that you are. Every time I call, they tell me I'm hooked up to 2 TVs. For many people, the dual tuner to 2 TVs works great. For me, no. Also, one of their big selling points is the ability to record 2 shows at once. Can you do that if they are connected to 2 TVs? Yes, but not by the same TV. Besides, these are separate people watching these TVs, not one or two people going from one room to another.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmspen
Really, the whole assumption that you use a DVR for 2 TVs is absurd. I bet most people don't. Besides, it's DISHES fault I have that many tuners.

It's not absurd. My parents have that setup, and it works out nicely. You get DVR service to two televisions for the price of one.

#55 OFFLINE   4HiMarks

4HiMarks

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,421 posts
  • LocationLaurel, MD

Posted 17 February 2009 - 03:24 PM

It's not absurd. My parents have that setup, and it works out nicely. You get DVR service to two televisions for the price of one.

We use "that setup" to get DVR service to the whole house. Just feed the TV2 output into a 4-way splitter. We even diplex it with the incoming sat signal so we don't have to run another cable to the collection point.
Dish subscriber since 2000, HD since 2004.

#56 OFFLINE   dmspen

dmspen

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 1,493 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 09:55 AM

SO I bought a 612. I received it last Friday and unpackaged and hhooked it up.

Guess what? No signal!

After fiddling with the receeiver, I started checking the wiring. Couple of years ago, I had 2 dishes and 4 lines into the house. Last year I was 'upgraded to a 1000.2 antenna. I was suffereing signal dropouts so they replaced the antenna. Well I checked my connections and found there are only 3 lines going to the antenna. Hey! Where's the 4th line?

Looks like the 4th line was never connected. I decided I didn't want to deal with it so i called DISH and scehuled an installation. Sunday between 12-5. Great.

Sunday came...12...1..2...3...4...5...no calls, no DISH dude.

Called DISH. They show the notes, the call, everything, but NO WORK ORDER!

The CSR apologized and offerend me 3 months of HBO and Starz. Uh, I have the Everything Pack so that's kind of meaningless. (You'd think their profile would show that). In the end they scheduled a priority install for today and a $20 credit.

We'll see if they show today...

#57 OFFLINE   ZBoomer

ZBoomer

Icon

• Registered
  • 529 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 12:19 PM

SO I bought a 612. I received it last Friday and unpackaged and hhooked it up.

Well I checked my connections and found there are only 3 lines going to the antenna. Hey! Where's the 4th line?

Looks like the 4th line was never connected.

I thought a 1000.2 had three outputs, you'll need a switch to connect four receivers to it, as far as I know. (I have an older dish myself.)
Hopper 2000, 2x Joey 1.0 Dish Receivers, "America's Everything pack" with PlatHD
Pioneer Kuro PDP-6010FD 60" Plasma Display on Hopper (me), Samsung 40" LCD on Joey #1 (wife), Dell ST2410 HD Monitor on Joey #2 (office.)
Pioneer VSX-1018AH-K AVR Receiver, PS3, Klipsch Reference-Series Speakers

#58 OFFLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,555 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 01:29 PM

Dish 1000.2 has only 3 outputs.

You need a DPP44 switch.

Connect each of the three outputs from the D1000.2 to the inputs on the DPP44 and connect the power inserter to the #1 output on the DPP44.

You can now use all 4 outputs on your DPP44 to power up to 4 dual tuner or single tuner dish pro receivers.

P.S. - the DPP44 runs $90 on ebay (caveat emptor).
Tuners: Hopper 2000; Hopper w/Sling; 3 Joeys; Samsung SIR-T351; Accurian 6000;2 X HD TiVo; 2 X TiVo Series 2 Stand alone; Panasonic Showstopper 2000
Dish 1000.2 @ 110, 119, 129; dish 500 @ 61.5
Antennas - CM4228; RS U75-R; coathanger; Funke PSP.1922 (stillin the box); paperclip
Displays: Sony VPH D50Q with HD Fury HDMI input; Hitachi 57F59; Sony Bravia LCD;Sanyo 32" LCD; Panasonic 42" plasma
Sony 80GB PS3; Toshiba HD-DVD

Give me a Finco colinear array and I'll rule the world - HA-HA-HA-HA!

#59 OFFLINE   dmspen

dmspen

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 1,493 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 09:53 AM

When the DISH Dude showed up, he called me to let me know I'd need a switch. He said DISH cost was $199. OUCH! He has a friend who runs a sat install business and got the switch for $120. He installed it and only 3 of the 4 output ports worked. <sigh>
Everything is all set up and readdy to go. He actually replaced all the RG6 to narrow the problem to the switch. We even swapped lines all around and could only get 3 ports working. He's taking it back and should show up today around 9 to install the new switch.
I used to have 2 regular dishes and now have the 1000.2. The mast is still in place from one of the small dishes. I'm wondering if it might be better to get another 1000.2 and run a line from it rather than having a switch. I was saving the mast to install an OTA when the weather gets a little better and I really have no plans for another TV. Maybe the switch is still the best way...
More to come...

#60 OFFLINE   coldsteel

coldsteel

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,984 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 11:45 AM

Take the switch, and do the OTA later. Having the switch gives you room to expand with a second switch later if needed.
DISH 625 dvr

The opinions posted on this site are my own and do not represent DISH Network's positions, strategies or opinions. Unless I decide to be bad or call out an idiot...

#61 OFFLINE   dmspen

dmspen

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 1,493 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 03:10 PM

Well, for whatever reason, the DISH dude could not get the DPP44 to work with 4 receivers. So in the end he installed another 1000.2. I now have 2 on my roof. Pretty soon I'll get cals from NASA asking me to search for ETs!

I now have the ability to add 2 more lines without a switch. SO where do I put them...kitchen? garage? And it only cost $100!

OK, saga done. Finis.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...