Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Morrowind (XBox) and other RPGs

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   RichW

RichW

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 6,526 posts

Posted 08 July 2003 - 01:54 PM

I used to be a big fan of computer role-playing games (RPGs). It start long ago (in a galaxy far away) with a minicomputer text game called "Adventure" - I played mine on a Prime computer. Then along came "Dungeon" for the VAX. Naturally when the Commodore C64, Amiga, Mac, and PC came along, I bought RPGs for them. Boy did I waste a LOT of time on them - Bard's Tale, Ultima series, even the various Sierra games that came out. Eventually, though I came to the conclusion I was spending way too much time on them and I didn't like the new generation of "shooters" that began dominating the computer gaming industry.

My wife bought me an XBox for Christmas. While I enjoy many games on this platform because of its great graphics and sound, I have not invested a lot of time playing XBox games. That is, until now, having bought Morrowind during this last Holiday weekend. This RPG is nothing short of fantastic! So far as I can tell, the game is literally open-ended as your character finds various quests and can do them in any order. Plus I especially liked the "ethics" questions at the start of the game to determine the traits fro formation of the players character.

I think I found a way to waste hundreds of hours more of my life! :)

I understand this game, as well as an expansion is available for the PC.

#2 OFFLINE   Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt

Your Neighborhood Liasion

• Registered
  • 12,527 posts

Posted 08 July 2003 - 02:29 PM

Wow, Rich...I can't believe how much your experience mirrored mine. I also started out playing Adventure on a Prime, as well as Super Star Trek. I very well remember the days of dialing in on a 300 or 1200 baud modem using an ADM 3 dumb terminal to log into the Prime system to play. I even spent the hours involved with mapping the entire Colossal Cave, including both mazes! Ah, and Dungeon...wasted a lot of time playing that one as well in my young teenage years...and all of the Ultimas and the Sierra games - the Kings Quests, Space Quests, Police Quests, Leisure Suit Larrys... I pretty much quit playing games after playing Doom, Doom2, Quake, and Quake 2 all the way through.

I've throught about picking up Morrowind several times over the last couple of months, but with work, my time on here, a little television watching, and the wife, I don't really have a lot of time anymore to devote to playing games. Ah well...guess it's the cost of getting older... :)
Mark Lamutt
markdl@dbstalk.com
Your DBSTalk.Com Community Liaison to Dish Network

#3 OFFLINE   Unthinkable

Unthinkable

• Registered
  • 1,096 posts

Posted 08 July 2003 - 10:07 PM

Morrowind = Addictive as crack. That isn't a game you can just pick up and play for a few minutes here and there. You get sucked in and before you know it the whole night/week has blown by. Great game.

#4 OFFLINE   angiodan

angiodan

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 288 posts

Posted 09 July 2003 - 05:52 AM

Well boys, save up some time starting next week. Star Wars-Knights of the Old Republic comes out on the 15th on XBOX. This one has been developed by Bioware, so I'm putting my money on it being a great Star Wars RPG.

spam firewall