Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Any details on "Don't let your TV go dark" deal??

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   adam1115

adam1115

Godfather

• Registered
  • 306 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 11:04 PM

I heard about this deal...

"Don't Let Your TV Go Dark! The Digital Transition Happens on or before February 17."

The offer is $9.99 for local channels only, a "welcome pack" of "over 17 more channels" for $9.99, or $14.99 for both. The deal is labeled "Not a promotional price,".

Anyone have specifics? What channels are included? If I bring my own equipment is there a contract?

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   boba

boba

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,580 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 08:24 AM

I heard about this deal...

"Don't Let Your TV Go Dark! The Digital Transition Happens on or before February 17."

The offer is $9.99 for local channels only, a "welcome pack" of "over 17 more channels" for $9.99, or $14.99 for both. The deal is labeled "Not a promotional price,".

Anyone have specifics? What channels are included? If I bring my own equipment is there a contract?

Welcome pack is reported to be ending 1/31/09.

#3 OFFLINE   coldsteel

coldsteel

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,984 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 09:48 AM

Whoever reported that is incorrect.
DISH 625 dvr

The opinions posted on this site are my own and do not represent DISH Network's positions, strategies or opinions. Unless I decide to be bad or call out an idiot...

#4 OFFLINE   adam1115

adam1115

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 306 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 02:41 PM

So nobody knows anything about the offer or how to get it??

#5 OFFLINE   BillRadio

BillRadio

Legend

• Registered
  • 103 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 05:54 PM

That particular deal is being offered by Comcast in our market. The "17 other channels" are worthless, except for sports. The line "Don't let your TV Go dark" is being used by countless retailers and the FCC. The cheapest dish deal is their $19.99 Family Pack. Of cource, you might be seeing something lese, but I bet the lack of replies tells you there is no such deal at Dish.

#6 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,297 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 06:20 PM

Unless you have a source more current than the dealer chat where the new prices were introduced ... no.

The welcome pack does seem to be a well kept secret. It seems that only resellers care to mention it other than in press releases. :(

#7 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 06:34 PM

This is the Dish $9.99 promotion.

Effective February 1, 2009 – We are also excited to announce our brand new offer, “$9.99/mo. for 6 Months!” Under this consumer promotional offer, qualifying new customers who enter into a 24-month term agreement and subscribe to one of the following four programming packages: Classic Bronze 100, TurboHD™ Bronze, Classic Bronze 100 with BronzeHD add-on package or DishMÉXICO, may receive these packages for only $9.99 per month for up to 6 months!

o Monthly Credits under the “$9.99/mo. for 6 Months” offer – Subject to applicable terms and conditions, qualifying new customers who subscribe to a higher-priced programming package than the four programming packages listed above may still participate in the offer, however instead of a $9.99 per month price point, they will receive a monthly credit per qualifying programming package as shown in the tables below. Keep in mind that NO redemption forms are required!

#8 OFFLINE   jessshaun

jessshaun

Legend

• Registered
  • 158 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 07:51 PM

So nobody knows anything about the offer or how to get it??

Call and ask for it. It is not a promotional price. The package includes I think about 17 channels, is a "qualifying package" meaning, no equipment rental fees, costs $9.99 and you can add local channels for $5.

#9 OFFLINE   jessshaun

jessshaun

Legend

• Registered
  • 158 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 07:55 PM

Channels include:
AMC
Bloomberg
Boomerrang
CMT
Comedy Central
Discovery Kids
Food
Hallmark
History
TLC
MSNBC
MTV2 (but not MTV)
Oxygen
QVC
Shop NBC
TBS
The Weather Channel
WE

#10 OFFLINE   adam1115

adam1115

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 306 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 11:36 PM

Call and ask for it. It is not a promotional price. The package includes I think about 17 channels, is a "qualifying package" meaning, no equipment rental fees, costs $9.99 and you can add local channels for $5.

Because I don't trust them and don't want a 24 month contract.

#11 OFFLINE   Jon Ellis

Jon Ellis

Godfather

• Registered
  • 267 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 12:23 AM

The "17 other channels" are worthless

I would beg to differ. "Welcome Pack" is not a collection of public access channels, it has at least 23 "brand name" channels by my count, plus dozens of other public interest/shopping/religious channels...56 channels total.

Here's what I get as a Welcome Pack customer:
http://www.northpine...welcomepack.txt

I had existing equipment and there is no contract.

(The 9.99 locals only deal is the one that includes only the public interest/shopping/religious channels in addition to locals.)

#12 OFFLINE   BillRadio

BillRadio

Legend

• Registered
  • 103 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 01:18 AM

I would beg to differ.

No, the Comcast ~17 channels are worthless, not Dish's. I found it more than a coincidence that Comcast's deal preceded's Dish's similarly-priced deal by a few weeks.

#13 OFFLINE   Jon Ellis

Jon Ellis

Godfather

• Registered
  • 267 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 11:51 PM

Ah, yes, I get your drift. DISH could be having a problem trying to cut through the clutter of all of the bad promotions out there. This one is really a good deal!

Protected By... spam firewall...And...