Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Copy/Burn Movie from DVR to Ext HD/DVD

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   sunny-boy

sunny-boy

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 01:08 PM

Hi,

I just got my VIP722 DVR from Dish. Its connected to the Samsung 650 using HDMI. How do I copy or burn movies to external HD or DVD. I do travel a lot and would like to watch the downloaded programs/movies when on road.

Any suggestions ?

Sunny

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   ChuckA

ChuckA

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,010 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 01:13 PM

Get a sling box. You can not download the HD recordings in any useable way other than burn them (real time) to a DVD. If you have a PocketDish you can download SD movies to it for use on the road but that does not support HD.

You can archive recordings to an External Hard Drive (EHD) but you can't use them on anything but the Dish receivers registered to your account. There is a $40 activation fee for the EHD support.

For the road, sling box is the best thing.
Receivers: ViP622 (dual mode), ViP722k (single mode), 311
Dish 1000
America's "Everything" Pack & HD
TV1: SONY 55" KDF-55WF655; HDMI & Components connections
OTA Antenna in attic
PocketDish AV700E

#3 OFFLINE   Rob Glasser

Rob Glasser

Hall Of Fame

• Super Moderators
  • 3,052 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 01:14 PM

Welcome to DBSTalk.com.

If you hook your receiver up to a DVD recorder you can always play your events and record them to DVD like you would to tape on a VCR.

I have done this a few times myself and then ripped the DVD's to MPEG4 files so I can take them with me on my laptop or iPhone. The only issue is typically these DVD Recorders don't allow you to record on HDMI/Component inputs so you are limited to analog quality, still it's better than nothing.

Another Dish supported method would be to go and get a Archos PocketDISH video player. With this you can transfer SD content directly from your 722 to the PocketDISH player and take them on the road to watch.
Rob

DISH Hopper, Hopper w/Sling, & Joey User

#4 OFFLINE   Mr.72

Mr.72

Icon

• Registered
  • 564 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 01:14 PM

I think the only legit way is to do them in real time, using a DVD recorder and use the S-Video output on the 722 and stereo analog audio.

Frustrating, since you can't get a 480P anamorphic downconverted rendering of the HD signals, or Dolby Digital out of it. That would be nice.

You can put them on an external HD but it is then only usable with the 722 so besides using it for backup or storage expansion, it is not useful for you.
Sling-enabled Hopper, Joey, RokuXD, coupla HDTVs, a real old DD5.1 receiver and a 1963 Fisher tube hifi

#5 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 01:49 PM

Welcome to DBSTalk sunny boy. There are some DVDR related links in the tips section that might be helpful.

http://www.dbstalk.c...ead.php?t=93559
<strong class='bbc'>New Member of the 9K club & 922/612 User<br /></strong><span style='font-size: 8px;'>"A release is not a release until it is released." - Me. <br />"To the true believer, no proof is necessary. To the non believer, no proof is sufficient." - Peter James (Derived from a Stewert Chase Quote)</span>

Protected By... spam firewall...And...