Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Raising Rates / Charging for online

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Greg Alsobrook

Greg Alsobrook

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,453 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 01:36 PM

I just got an email stating that they will be raising my additional radios from $6.99 to $8.99 per month... unless I act fast by purchasing another long-term plan. :rolleyes:

Also looks like you won't be able to listen online for free any longer...

We are offering select subscribers like you, who have multiple subscriptions, a special opportunity to lock in the current low rate on their additional radio subscriptions.

On March 11, 2009, the monthly rate for your discounted subscriptions will increase from $6.99 per month to $8.99 per month upon renewal.* You can lock in the current discounted monthly rate of $6.99 by choosing longer-term plans - but only if you act quickly.

And if you renew now, you can continue to listen online, FREE for the length of term you choose. Effective March 11, 2009, the online listening platform will be upgraded to a higher quality digital audio and no longer included as part of a base subscription at no charge.

Save with Longer Subscription Plans.
Depending on the Subscription Package and Plan you choose for each radio, you could enjoy an average annual savings of more than $90.00 with two radios on an Annual Plan if you act now. Save even more with two- and three-year plans. Rest assured, any credits on the account from payments made earlier will be applied to your renewal - you'll only be charged the difference.

Just Call 1-866-705-2846 to Lock In & Save.

Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Undertaker

Undertaker

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 01:43 PM

I'll be listening for free online, I have a lifetime sub.

#3 OFFLINE   tcusta00

tcusta00

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,911 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 01:44 PM

Better lock in and save, AirRocker! :lol:

They're in deep excrement, that's all I know...

#4 OFFLINE   cb7214

cb7214

Icon

• Registered
  • 798 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 01:50 PM

Better lock in and save, AirRocker! :lol:

They're in deep excrement, that's all I know...

all the more reason not to get into a long term, if they tank, all the people with lifetime and long term contracts might be left holding the bag.

I think its a last ditch effort to get cash to pay the debt they weren't able to make a payment on i believe. They Raise the rates, but then say if you front us a bunch of cash now for the long term we won't raise yours right away
Directv Subscriber since 1999

XM Subscriber since June 2005

#5 OFFLINE   dnuijten

dnuijten

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 01:54 PM

looks like I will be cancling my 2nd reciever.

#6 OFFLINE   djlong

djlong

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,188 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 30 January 2009 - 09:29 AM

I'm looking at cancelling #4 and perhaps #3.

#7 OFFLINE   murry27409

murry27409

Godfather

• Registered
  • 320 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 11:26 AM

So b/c they state that the online feed will be "higher quality digital audio ", they can get away with charging 4 the online streams. Seems transparent, no?
HR20-100
HR22-100

#8 OFFLINE   tbpb3

tbpb3

Legend

• Registered
  • 153 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 11:43 AM

Canceled today after 5 years.I knew that it would get bad after after the merger,and it did.Next all music channels will have commercials. To bad, it was a great idea at the start. And wait untill you have the cancellation experience, they hung up on me four times before someone would finally do it
Directv since 1994

#9 OFFLINE   Motley

Motley

Mentor

• Registered
  • 48 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 11:50 AM

My Sub runs out in June. I don't think I will be renewing. The merger really screwed XM and now that the rates are going up and I cannot listen online it will not be worth it for me. Too bad because I really enjoyed XM for the last 4 years. :(

#10 OFFLINE   tcusta00

tcusta00

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,911 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 11:52 AM

Canceled today after 5 years.I knew that it would get bad after after the merger,and it did.Next all music channels will have commercials. To bad, it was a great idea at the start. And wait untill you have the cancellation experience, they hung up on me four times before someone would finally do it

I hope that's the end of it for you... certainly wasn't for me though. Don't hold your breath. They keep sending me bills even though they have multiple notes in their systems that I canceled last summer and I was actually issued a refund for unused service. Go figure. :rolleyes:

Edited by tcusta00, 30 January 2009 - 12:45 PM.

#11 OFFLINE   Steady Teddy

Steady Teddy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 279 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 12:25 PM

I also cancelled. I only listen to Sirius online when I'm at home. I've been contemplating cancelling for months now and told myself if they raised their rates so much as one dime it would be reason enough to drop them. They just gave me that reason.

As tbpb3 mentioned, the cancellation process was a pain in the a**.
HR20--> HDMI --> Panny TH50 PX600U
HR20 --> HDMI --> 40" Sony KDL XBR3

#12 OFFLINE   pigskins

pigskins

Legend

• Registered
  • 146 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 07:32 PM

Bad news, it's their lifetime not yours. :)
D* customer since 1996, when new customers had to PAY for equipment

#13 OFFLINE   valestij

valestij

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 31 January 2009 - 10:53 AM

I don't understand the "And if you renew now, you can continue to listen online, FREE for the length of term you choose. "

I thought the XM radio online was only linked up to the main account, not the sub-accounts. It's not like I received a seperate username and password for each additional radio I owned. That would have been nice though so my Dad wouldn't have to use my username/password to login.

#14 OFFLINE   airedale

airedale

AllStar

• Registered
  • 100 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 07:16 PM

With Sirius, every radio gets its own account to login to listen online with.

#15 OFFLINE   dpd146

dpd146

Godfather

• Registered
  • 415 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 07:35 PM

I wasn't thrilled about the e-mail but $2 a month is not enough reason for me to cancel. Small price to pay if it can help keep the company solvent. I would hate to go back to regular radio.

Good Luck Sirius/XM

#16 OFFLINE   Dolly

Dolly

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 2,179 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 10:13 PM

I wasn't thrilled about the e-mail but $2 a month is not enough reason for me to cancel. Small price to pay if it can help keep the company solvent. I would hate to go back to regular radio.

Good Luck Sirius/XM

Now that is what I like to hear :sunsmile: As I said I don't understand why Sirius XM would want to make people mad for the second time (the first time was the merged channels) because instead of getting more money they are giving yet even more people a reason to cancel :( But I want the company to stay solvent also to the point of becoming a Lifetime Sub. Too bad there just doesn't seem to be enough people that think like we do :( :( :(

#17 OFFLINE   ddrumman2004

ddrumman2004

Legend

• Registered
  • 241 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 10:44 AM

I received two emails asking me to make changes to lock in my current price.

So I called Sirius and asked a few question. I will continue to receive online listening because I have a lifetime sub on my primary radio. I can make up to 3 radio changes before the sub is no good anymore. The way I figure it, I will come out ahead on this.

Now as for 2 bucks more a month for my second radio? Doesn't bother me in the least.
Yes, I have a television that I watch from time to time.

#18 OFFLINE   dhhaines

dhhaines

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,239 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 10:59 AM

I just canceled my second radio.... didn't listen to it much anyway and the one in my car can be used inside. It's getting very close to time to pull the plug on XM since Sirius screwed it up.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
I read a report that said the typical symptoms of stress were eating too much, drinking too much, impulse buying, and driving too fast. Who are they kidding? That's my idea of a perfect day.

Directv 3/1998-9/2011
now with Verizon FIOS and loving the faster DVR and being able to use both the external & internal drives at the same time

#19 OFFLINE   Wisegoat

Wisegoat

Icon

• Registered
  • 803 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 09:48 PM

I'm looking at cancelling #4 and perhaps #3.

I am canceling my 3rd and 4th ones as well. They were there for convienience, but this has convinced me I don't need the convienience that bad.

I would have been OK with the $2 increase to the primary account, as long as they didn't cut our online access.

For all of these increases, they could at least throw in the "Best of" packages. Seems counter to the merger proposal that I have to pay extra for Howard Stern and the NFL when Sirius subs get it as part of their sub. And Sirius subs have to pay extra to get MLB and NHL. Doesn't make sense to me.

The merger is not making me a happy camper. This was a service with so much potential, even with the merger. We could have had lots of channels and depth of programming with all of the personalities out there. Now we get microscopic playlists, pay extra for programming we should be getting as a part of our subs and horrendous customer service.

Now, it seems that the monopoly bird has come home to roost and is looking to fatten up. Thought Mel was looking a little skinny.

#20 OFFLINE   flexoffset

flexoffset

Godfather

• Registered
  • 337 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 10:37 PM

My drive to work is made much more pleasant because of Sirius. During my morning drive there is nothing else worth listening to on terrestrial radio. Of course if they get too greedy I'm out simply on the principle of it. :)

D* | 2ea HR24-500

spam firewall