Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Raising Rates / Charging for online

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#26 OFFLINE   ehilbert1

ehilbert1

Godfather

• Registered
  • 312 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 12:29 PM

Bad news, it's their lifetime not yours. :)

I agree. It's bad news now. I don't know why anyone would pay for a lifetime subscription now. They may not make it 6 more monthes. I got my lifetime sub back in 95. I've been listening free for a while now. There is no way in hell I would do it now. I hope they do make it though. Regular radio is crap.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#27 OFFLINE   rudeney

rudeney

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,266 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 01:26 PM

I agree. It's bad news now. I don't know why anyone would pay for a lifetime subscription now. They may not make it 6 more monthes. I got my lifetime sub back in 95. I've been listening free for a while now. There is no way in hell I would do it now. I hope they do make it though. Regular radio is crap.

I doubt that Sirius/XM would go off the air. If they do not "maket it", then thye will end up being purchased and operated by another entity. While the new owner may not be legally obligated to honor the existing lifetime subscriptions, it would be a public relations nightmare not to do so.

#28 OFFLINE   ehilbert1

ehilbert1

Godfather

• Registered
  • 312 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 01:34 PM

I doubt that Sirius/XM would go off the air. If they do not "maket it", then thye will end up being purchased and operated by another entity. While the new owner may not be legally obligated to honor the existing lifetime subscriptions, it would be a public relations nightmare not to do so.

I hope and prey they don't go off the air. I guess the big rumor is Charlie from Echostar wanting to take them over for their satellites and repeaters. He's bought a lot of their debt. I have no idea what he would do with the company. They were talking about it on Stern this morning. Stern wants to get a hold of him and ask him some questions. I was just making the point that paying $400 right now may not be a great idea thats all. I'm a huge SiriusXM supporter. You can go to digitalradiocentral.com and read the boards there. Alot of people are speculating things.

#29 OFFLINE   david_jr

david_jr

Godfather

• Registered
  • 477 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 04:47 AM

I was going to add a second subscription, but I am holding off for now. XM subscriber with 2.5 years left on subscription.

#30 OFFLINE   dhhaines

dhhaines

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,239 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 07:48 AM

I saw a scroll on ABC news this morning that Sirius/XM may be declaring bankruptcy. So I'm going to hold off on any renewal until this is cleared up. I'm thinking that they're not going to last through the financial crisis.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
I read a report that said the typical symptoms of stress were eating too much, drinking too much, impulse buying, and driving too fast. Who are they kidding? That's my idea of a perfect day.

Directv 3/1998-9/2011
now with Verizon FIOS and loving the faster DVR and being able to use both the external & internal drives at the same time

#31 OFFLINE   hjsiemer

hjsiemer

Mentor

• Registered
  • 33 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 11:42 AM

My quarterly subscription expires on February 28 so I called this morning and told Sirius that I am cancelling my subscription as of Feb 28. The rep asked why and I told him that I did not want to pay for the online listening. The rep asked me to hold on while he spoke with his supervisor.

When he came back about 2 minutes later he told me that if I continued my subscription at the current rate ($12.95 per month for Sirius Everything) for another quarter I could continue listening online at no additional cost.

If on March 1 I cannot listen to online anymore, I will cancel immediately.

It may be that the SHORTER your subscription period the MORE negotiating power you have...this seems just the opposite of the way things are in the REAL world...no wonder this company is going bankrupt...:confused:

#32 OFFLINE   rudeney

rudeney

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,266 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 04:28 PM

My understanding is that if you renew or extend your subscription prior to March 11th, you get the current lower rates and under the current terms which include online listening for no extra charge. You can renew/extend for a quarter, year or multiple years and lock-in the current rates as long as you do it "now". You can even extend a subscription that won't be expiring for many months from now and still get the current rates.

If you wait until after March 11th to renew, you will pay the new higher rates and will have to pay extra for online listening. In effect, they are rewarded longer-term subscriptions by extending the current rates through that period. In your case, you only renew for a quarter, so when June 1 rolls around, you'll have to pay the higher rates and pay extra for online listening. Had you chose to renew for a year, then you;d have the lower rates through February 2010.

#33 OFFLINE   djlong

djlong

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,285 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 14 February 2009 - 01:24 PM

We really just want to wait until after the 17th to see what's going to happen.

#34 OFFLINE   Dolly

Dolly

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 2,179 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 04:36 PM

My understanding is that if you renew or extend your subscription prior to March 11th, you get the current lower rates and under the current terms which include online listening for no extra charge. You can renew/extend for a quarter, year or multiple years and lock-in the current rates as long as you do it "now". You can even extend a subscription that won't be expiring for many months from now and still get the current rates.

If you wait until after March 11th to renew, you will pay the new higher rates and will have to pay extra for online listening. In effect, they are rewarded longer-term subscriptions by extending the current rates through that period. In your case, you only renew for a quarter, so when June 1 rolls around, you'll have to pay the higher rates and pay extra for online listening. Had you chose to renew for a year, then you;d have the lower rates through February 2010.

I had thought the timing of a rate hike was bad because everyone was already mad about the merged channels. And, of course, people got mad again about the rate hike. However, with the information we have now may be Mel was just trying to get people to "lock in" so they would continue to be getting money. Oh and about Charlie buying it basically for "parts" there are people in the Directv Forum that know a whole lot more about Sats. than I will ever know have said that Sats. for radio won't work for Sat. TV

#35 OFFLINE   olguy

olguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 09:37 AM

Just went ahead and locked in a lifetime. I know it may not last as long as me and I'm 71 but what the heck. And I can transfer the sub to a radio for my room when my kids toss my ass in an old folks home :lol: When I subbed to XM last summer lifetimes weren't available. I checked the lock-in page and the 3 year was $350. I called and talked to a rep and found out the lifetime is $400 so I figured why not. And since they pro-rate and my sub was good until July, 2011 I only paid $90. Maybe that will help ol' Mel make that 15% payment :lol:

#36 OFFLINE   Dolly

Dolly

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 2,179 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 10:50 PM

Just went ahead and locked in a lifetime. I know it may not last as long as me and I'm 71 but what the heck. And I can transfer the sub to a radio for my room when my kids toss my ass in an old folks home :lol: When I subbed to XM last summer lifetimes weren't available. I checked the lock-in page and the 3 year was $350. I called and talked to a rep and found out the lifetime is $400 so I figured why not. And since they pro-rate and my sub was good until July, 2011 I only paid $90. Maybe that will help ol' Mel make that 15% payment :lol:

Wow what a deal you got :eek2: When I got my XM Lifetime this past Nov. it was over $400 dollars. And believe me I thought that was one Lifetime sub that was on life support :lol: I just hope one of the things that Sirius XM can do is at least somehow get their account departments joined. So that way people that are split in their radios between Sirius and XM can get the accounts joined together so they can get the discount rate.

#37 OFFLINE   Ozwalt

Ozwalt

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 09:01 AM

I don't get why they're not making it easier for people to choose to join and current members to choose to stay. They charge big bucks for the radios, and they're not responsive to feedback from subscribers. The fear that they're going under is keeping people from investing in equipment and contracts. It sounds like they're just crossing their fingers and hoping for the best. How about a "non-profit" equipment program, or an equipment rental program? How about a better level of variety on the programs that people want? Do we really need 40 sports channels and 20 weather channels? How about more syndicated programs that most of us can't get through on-air radio? Wouldn't that be pretty much free for them?

#38 OFFLINE   Sharkie_Fan

Sharkie_Fan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,535 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 09:23 AM

I hope that's the end of it for you... certainly wasn't for me though. Don't hold your breath. They keep sending me bills even though they have multiple notes in their systems that I canceled last summer and I was actually issued a refund for unused service. Go figure. :rolleyes:

Amazingly, my billing actually got fixed AFTER the merger, something I was unable to get XM to do before the merger. Originally, I had 4 radios on my account. Got rid of some cars, etc, and so I gave 2 of the radios to my parents. They signed up their own account, activated the radios, and everything was good..... except for the part where XM kept trying to make ME pay for the radios, even though my dad had already paid for 1 year of service on HIS account. And, the two radios they wanted me to pay for didn't show up as active on my account. But somehow it had generated a bill for me, and they wanted me to pay it.

I actually just paid the $83 or whatever it is for my wife's radio for the next year, and mine comes up in another month or so, and I'll probably pay for another year on it as well..... We don't listen to anything else, and if satellite radio meets an untimely demise, we'll be on the bandwagon until the bitter end. :lol:
"There's a statistical theory that if you gave a million monkey's typewriters and set them to work, they'd eventually come up with the complete works of Shakespeare. Thanks to the Internet, we now know this isn't true" -Ian Hart

#39 OFFLINE   SWTESTER

SWTESTER

Mentor

• Registered
  • 43 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 09:56 AM

I'll be listening for free online, I have a lifetime sub.

Me too. I had already consolidated my Sirius sub and have just one radio instead of both Sirius (car) and XM (Inno I refurb) I got in a sweet deal. Plus get it on DISH. Ready for Baseball!! And Area is sounding better these days. Plain radio sucks, plain and simple. :lol:
FiOS TV enabled since 1/13/2010. FiOS Extreme TV with HBO/Cinemax, Movie Package (that's 40 premium movie channels in glorious HD), DISH AT120+, HD Platinum, NHL Center Ice, AAD SFO 4 locals; TiVo HD Box & DISH ViP722 to the 2009 Panasonic 1080p 600Hz Plasma; FiOS SD & the DISH ViP 211 to the Toshiba CRT downstairs, FiOS HD (office Gateway 720p/computer monitor), FiOS SD (bonus room)

#40 OFFLINE   Dolly

Dolly

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 2,179 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 08:51 PM

I'm glad some of us are staying on the bandwagon :sunsmile: The way I look at it is the few radio stations that are in my area are very poor. May be people from larger areas can say Sirius XM isn't any better than their FM radio, but I sure can't :nono2: So I'm going to enjoy it as long as it is around :sunsmile: :sunsmile:

#41 OFFLINE   rudeney

rudeney

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,266 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 10:01 AM

I called yesterday for the extension deal. I have lifetime plus four other units that were on various combinations of monthly and quarterly billing. I wanted to drop one of the radios, an old Sirius 1 unit that I don't use much anymore and extend the other three to yearly to lock-in my rates. The call was quick and easy. They gave me prorated credit for the remaining prepaid balances on the three when they converted to annual subscriptions, and I was very surprised when the rep gave me credit for the prorated balance on the one I disconnected, too.

I'm staying on the Sirius bandwagon. Like you, Dolly, my local OTA radio is not very good. I enjoy Sirius for the choices in commercial-free music and being able to listen when I drive out of town.

#42 OFFLINE   djlong

djlong

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,285 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 26 February 2009 - 09:54 AM

Now that I've settled down a little, my opinion is that Sirius/XM is not as good (for my tastes) as XM was (especially when Music Lab was on the air) but it's still FAR better than terrestrial.

#43 OFFLINE   IndyMichael

IndyMichael

Legend/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 955 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 07 March 2009 - 09:02 PM

The day I log in to listen online and can't, I think I'll call to cancel and see what they say. I listen to xm via DirecTV or my comp about 75% of the time and the remaining 25% in the van.

#44 OFFLINE   WERA689

WERA689

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,953 posts
  • LocationCanton, GA

Posted 08 March 2009 - 04:23 AM

Well, I called in last week to cancel 4 of my 5 radios, and see what I could get to keep the the one in my car and online. I was transferred to retention, and ended up getting a deal that allowed me to cancel only one radio, and lock in the the other 4 for one year at a price that was barely above what I had been paying QUARTERLY since 2002!!!!

I agree, terrestrial radio in Atlanta is worse than pathetic, and I hope XM stays around. Meanwhile, I've been checking out Slacker, just in case....

link to my system specs: http://www.dbstalk.c...d/#entry3298344

My wonderful cat, Kawie, passed away on 11/23/08. He had a remarkable soul, and I miss him deeply. Thank you, my buddy, for sharing your life with me.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...