Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Breaking News: Senate passes another DTV Delay Act, Goes to House Floor

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
215 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,295 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 07:52 PM

http://www.broadcast...sition_Date.php

Senate Passes Second Bill Changing DTV Transition Date
Bill expected to be sent to the House for consideration under regular rules
John Eggerton -- Broadcasting & Cable, 1/29/2009 5:26:03 PM MT

An aide to Senator Jay Rockefeller confirms that the Senate has once again passed a bill changing the DTV transition date from Feb. 17 to June 12.

The bill, which again passed by unanimous consent--no Senator objected--contains a couple of fixes made in the House to language pertaining to budget rules and first responder communications.

The bill is expected to be sent to the House for consideration under regular rules. If the House Rules Committee gets the bill Tuesday, the first day it could, it could get to the House floor by Wednesday, Feb. 4, where a simple majority will be sufficient to pass it.

It doesn't appear to be any different in description than S.328.
"--Permits Broadcasters to Continue with Transition Efforts – The bill reaffirms existing law to permit over-the-air broadcast television stations to voluntarily switch from analog to digital service before June 12, 2009. "

Full text should be available in the morning.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz

Day Sleeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,936 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 29 January 2009 - 10:14 PM

What the :ramblinon!!!!!

Is this issue a Zombie or a Vampire? Haven't we :beatdeadhorse: enough on this issue?

"In an effort to increase your cable and satellite bills beyond the point of affordability and to further pad the pockets of our executives..."
Check out my list of links.

#3 OFFLINE   LCDSpazz

LCDSpazz

AllStar

• Registered
  • 75 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 10:25 PM

So next week the House will just need a simple majority to pass this. We'll be LESS THAN 2 weeks away from the old deadline at that point. So we'll have literally hundreds of random stations shutting down at all sorts of different times between now and mid-June. Wow, THAT won't confuse anyone. :nono2:

#4 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 40,295 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 02:47 AM

http://www.tvweek.co...ilitated_by.php

January 29, 2009 5:06 PM
DTV Date Switch Facilitated by Senate
By Ira Teinowitz

The prospects for a delay of the switch to all-digital broadcast TV signals increased as the Senate approved a revised piece of legislation that would permit pushing back the Feb. 17 DTV deadline.

With no debate, the U.S. Senate unanimously passed [by unanimous consent] the bill in anticipation of a House of Representatives vote next Tuesday to delay the transition to June 12.

The bid to delay the national changeover comes as a number of the nation’s 1,800 stations are quietly making the switch to digital. The Federal Communications Commission said tonight that 133 TV stations have already switched to digital-only signals, with another 67 set to switch before Feb. 17 and 93 to switch at midnight Feb. 17, whatever happens with the delay legislation.

Unanimous consent corrected in quote. (Broadcasting & Cable got it right. An administration quote in the article got it wrong. Doesn't the former Senator from Illinois understand "unanimous consent"?)

BTW: In a previous article (about the first senate bill) -
http://www.tvweek.co...ant_to_wait.php

Nine out of 10 station managers interviewed by TelevisionWeek said they oppose the delay,

#5 OFFLINE   neljtorres

neljtorres

Godfather

• Registered
  • 317 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 03:36 AM

Again with this bill! This is like a vampire! I don't know what they want to do with this crap because a lot of station managers want to turn off the analog signal. And with if they pass the crappy bill and 95% of the stations owners decided to turn off the analog signal on feb 18! This is a waist of time and money watch they will be still people complainig on June!

#6 OFFLINE   dodge boy

dodge boy

R.I.P. Chris Henry

• Banned User
  • 4,231 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 04:19 AM

Eh, Who cares.... Not a big problem for anyone on this forum... Is anyone going to die or even loose sleep if your analog chanel stays lit longer? Like I've said before all your locals should be digitial aswell by now.....
My equipment:
1 HR22-100 leased
1 HR22-100 owned
1 HR23-700 owned
1 R22-100 owned
1 R22-200 owned

Slimline III with a 4X8 multiswitch and an SWM8
18" round dish with a 4X8 switch on the garage

#7 OFFLINE   samhevener

samhevener

Godfather

• Registered
  • 302 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 05:04 AM

Bill expected to be sent to the House for consideration under regular rules
John Eggerton -- Broadcasting & Cable, 1/29/2009 5:26:03 PM MT

An aide to Senator Jay Rockefeller confirms that the Senate has once again passed a bill changing the DTV transition date from Feb. 17 to June 12.

The bill, which again passed by unanimous consent--no Senator objected--contains a couple of fixes made in the House to language pertaining to budget rules and first responder communications.

The bill is expected to be sent to the House for consideration under regular rules. If the House Rules Committee gets the bill Tuesday, the first day it could, it could get to the House floor by Wednesday, Feb. 4, where a simple majority will be sufficient to pass it.

It doesn't appear to be any different in description than S.328.
"--Permits Broadcasters to Continue with Transition Efforts – The bill reaffirms existing law to permit over-the-air broadcast television stations to voluntarily switch from analog to digital service before June 12, 2009. "

Full text should be available in the morning.

I really want to see what the new bill says about "first responder" communications.
Another point, yesterday's Cleveland Plain Dealer said Channels 3 and 25 will stay analog until June 12 no matter what. I know a retired engineer from channel 3 and he told me the station is having all types of tech problems with their new frequency digital transmitter. Chan 3 is now broadcasting digital on chan 2 and had expected to change to another channel in the teens by now.
AN OLD GEEZER WHO REMEMBERS THE DUMONT TELEVISION NETWORK AND IT'S TOP RATED "CAPTAIN VIDEO AND HIS VIDEO RANGERS", TV NEWS ANCHORMEN WEARING HATS DURING THE NEWSCAST, ONLY 180 SECONDS OF COMMERICALS EACH HALF HOUR, 3 STATIONS ON THE AIR WITH THEIR TEST PATTERNS AIRED FROM 2 TO 3PM, PROGRAMMING FROM 3PM TO 11:30 AND SIGNING OFF AT 11:30PM. HOW COULD I FORGET THE SINGLE FRAME VERTICAL ROLL WHEN THE STATIONS SWITCHED FROM NETWORK TO LOCAL OR LOCAL TO NETWORK AND THE TIME TONE ON THE HOUR.

#8 OFFLINE   dodge boy

dodge boy

R.I.P. Chris Henry

• Banned User
  • 4,231 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 06:17 AM

I really want to see what the new bill says about "first responder" communications.
Another point, yesterday's Cleveland Plain Dealer said Channels 3 and 25 will stay analog until June 12 no matter what. I know a retired engineer from channel 3 and he told me the station is having all types of tech problems with their new frequency digital transmitter. Chan 3 is now broadcasting digital on chan 2 and had expected to change to another channel in the teens by now.

That may explain why I can't pick them up here in Niles. I get 5, 8, & 43 on my AM21 but no 3, 25, or 19... (I never got 19 CBS when it was analog).
My equipment:
1 HR22-100 leased
1 HR22-100 owned
1 HR23-700 owned
1 R22-100 owned
1 R22-200 owned

#9 OFFLINE   smiddy

smiddy

Tain't ogre til its ogre

• Registered
  • 15,459 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 06:52 AM

It just goes to show that if you fail once, you can send it through again, with a couple of tweaks, to get it to pass. This is such a waste of resources, since America has had several years to prepare for this...and less than 1% of the people are not ready... :nono:
Aaron 'smiddy' Smith

#10 OFFLINE   kwajr

kwajr

Icon

• Registered
  • 742 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 07:15 AM

didnt this all start 10 yrs ago may be wrong but either way they have had enough time. and we know it want effect us but we are all sick of the commercials and all at this point so just do it:mad:

#11 OFFLINE   dodge boy

dodge boy

R.I.P. Chris Henry

• Banned User
  • 4,231 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 07:18 AM

didnt this all start 10 yrs ago may be wrong but either way they have had enough time. and we know it want effect us but we are all sick of the commercials and all at this point so just do it:mad:

Commercials, what commercials, I mean since I have 4 DVRS I never watch commercials... Maybe you should upgrade your receivers then you won't have to watch those things.... I mean DVRS have been around for 10+ years you mean you haven't got atleast one yet?
My equipment:
1 HR22-100 leased
1 HR22-100 owned
1 HR23-700 owned
1 R22-100 owned
1 R22-200 owned

#12 OFFLINE   ATARI

ATARI

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 07:48 AM

Glad to see the suits in Washington are taking the time to tackle the hard issues. :nono2:

#13 OFFLINE   bobukcat

bobukcat

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,965 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 07:48 AM

It just goes to show that if you fail once, you can send it through again, with a couple of tweaks, to get it to pass. This is such a waste of resources, since America has had several years to prepare for this...and less than 1% of the people are not ready... :nono:

I really just think there are more important things our government should be focusing time and resources on right now.

#14 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,907 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 07:59 AM

Folks, let's not get into a discussion of what the government should and should not do. We've issued enough infractions the last few days. Let's keep it to the topic of the DTV transition.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#15 OFFLINE   txtommy

txtommy

Icon

• Registered
  • 802 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 08:05 AM

Commercials, what commercials, I mean since I have 4 DVRS I never watch commercials... Maybe you should upgrade your receivers then you won't have to watch those things.... I mean DVRS have been around for 10+ years you mean you haven't got atleast one yet?

Unless you have an analog DVR you needn't worry about the conversion. :grin:
“People ask me what I do in the winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring.” -- Rogers Hornsby

#16 OFFLINE   txtommy

txtommy

Icon

• Registered
  • 802 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 08:11 AM

So is it 20 million or 6.5 million household not ready? Does anyone really know? Both quotes are from the same article.

Efforts to move the transition date to June 12 from February 17 are fueled by worries an estimated 20 million mostly poor, elderly and rural households are not technically ready for the congressionally mandated switch.

About 6.5 million households are not ready for the transition, according to the latest data from Nielsen Ratings.

http://news.yahoo.co..._dtv_congress_2
“People ask me what I do in the winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring.” -- Rogers Hornsby

#17 OFFLINE   tcusta00

tcusta00

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,911 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 08:17 AM

Grrrrr... :(

#18 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,269 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 30 January 2009 - 08:25 AM

[Mod edit: redacted quote of deleted post]

Well I guess that's easy enough to say, and believe me I'm totally against the DTV delay as well. But while remaining politcally neutral on the issue I have to admit that if I were in government and faced with daunting reports like this from the FCC as linked in the CGC Communicator (issue #871):

http://hraunfoss.fcc...OC-287163A1.doc

I honestly can't say I wouldn't have voted for the delay myself if I were in their shoes up on capitol hill.

Edited by Tom Robertson, 30 January 2009 - 08:56 AM.

#19 OFFLINE   stewp97

stewp97

AllStar

• Registered
  • 83 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 08:26 AM

So is it 20 million or 6.5 million household not ready? Does anyone really know? Both quotes are from the same article.

Either way, it doesn't really matter. That number will be the same no matter when the government decides to switch. It will only be after the people loose there signal that they will do anything about it. What a waste of time. :rolleyes:

#20 OFFLINE   Go Beavs

Go Beavs

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,420 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR DMA

Posted 30 January 2009 - 08:34 AM

The only way some of the 1% of people not ready will actually go take care of THEMSELVES is for their TV to turn to static. Then they'll have to get off their a** and do something about it.

Genie, Hx2x, nomad
D* customer since Oct '99

Protected By... spam firewall...And...