Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Breaking News: Senate passes another DTV Delay Act, Goes to House Floor

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
215 replies to this topic

#201 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,246 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 01:39 PM

My question here is not day of year, but day of week. Currently set for a Wednesday morning, which seems to be such that there are several days of the week for discovery and resolution.

Versus Saturday morning, leaving no weekdays for resolution.

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#202 OFFLINE   robmadden1

robmadden1

Legend

• Registered
  • 138 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 01:44 PM

The man talked about a digital antenna. The thing is he don't realise is thier is no damn thing as a digital antenna lol. An antenna is a antenna.

#203 OFFLINE   bobcamp1

bobcamp1

Icon

• Registered
  • 895 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 01:49 PM

I explained that if he was getting his locals via DISH, he did not need the converter box. He looked truly confused. I did my best to explain that since he had DISH, that they already taken care of the transition on their end and he would continue to receive his locals.

Finally the guy at RS agreed that he did not need the box so he left without probably still confused.

No wonder this transition is going to be a cluster as the public education has been horrible.

+1. If the guy at Radio Shack didn't have a clue, no wonder why some are not prepared and some are over prepared. (Or the RS guy DID know, but kept quiet because he wanted the sale).

Also, no one is telling anybody that they'll have to rescan their channels. Or that they may need a new antenna before and/or after the switch.

I think the geeks will have to help the non-geeks. Our government is dropping the ball here.

#204 OFFLINE   SParker

SParker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,558 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 01:54 PM

Fred Upton is shooting on these guys.

#205 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,246 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 02:29 PM

New motion to re-commit the bill to the proper committee for one amendment. 5 minutes of debate.

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#206 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,833 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 02:42 PM

Hmmm... if it goes to committee it could take too long to enact; not a bad thing.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#207 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,246 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 02:42 PM

Now a 15 minute vote to re-commit the bill to committee for the purpose of creating an amendment forcing those stations on the security frequencies (approximately 4 channels) to transition as planned on February 17. This would enable the rest of the stations to delay and the security technologies to be put in place.

If this motion to re-commit is denied, there will be a 5 minute vote on the Bill itself (as a cluster of votes, the second and subsequent votes can be set to 5 minutes ea.)

Cheers,
Tom

Go Packers!

#208 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,715 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 04 February 2009 - 02:46 PM

TO throw a bit more of a twist to it - not only can 61% of the stations can just shutdown analog, but another 20% or so (450 -500 stations) have their final DTV assignment on their old analog channel. No reason this group couldn't just "go" either if they want to. This group wouldn't have the luxury of nightlight service, but they could make their final transition without interfering with anybody else.
You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

#209 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,346 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 04 February 2009 - 02:46 PM

New motion to re-commit the bill to the proper committee for one amendment. 5 minutes of debate.

I was under the impression that amendment wasn't allowed in the current methodology and doing so will require a significant shift in political process towards a more conventional timeline. Might this be a procedure to delay the delay?

#210 OFFLINE   ziggy29

ziggy29

Icon

• Registered
  • 691 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio DMA

Posted 04 February 2009 - 02:47 PM

I was under the impression that amendment wasn't allowed in the current methodology and doing so will require a significant shift in political process towards a more conventional timeline. Might this be a procedure to delay the delay?

I would guess so. I strongly doubt the House leadership would allow that, though, if they have any ability to stop it cold.

#211 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,246 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 02:51 PM

The "Rule" that introduced the Bill to the House was indeed a no amend rule. My rough guess is that a motion to re-commit would supersede the rule itself so the committee could recommend an amendment.

As to rationale, the stated rationale was to strike a balance whereby both of the majority of stations might delay, but security technologies could go forward before hurricane and tornado seasons start.

Beyond that, we must be very careful as to discussing the "whys"...

(Tho the effect would be to delay the delay.) :)

Go Packers!

#212 OFFLINE   nmetro

nmetro

Godfather

• Registered
  • 585 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 02:57 PM

Personally, they should just leave well enough alone. In Denver, we cannot get away from the local announcements from the transition; they have been going on for months. Yet, come 17 February or 12 June; there will still be people around here who will not get a proper over the air signal. Why? Mountains, Mesas and Hills. Even today, getting a analog signal is difficult. I live 40 miles from the transmitter source and I only can get four of Denver's 14 channels. Hence, why this area has the largest number of cable and satellite viewers (me included).

The bottom line, people who are not ready today will not be reading four months from today. I saw the amendment for the four channels allocated to security frequencies. I am not sure which channels this covers, but Denver has VHF 2, 4, 6, 7, 9 and 12 and several UHF channels. So, this bill may have at least two channels (maybe three) Denver channels in DTV only, while the rest in analog. If that is not confusing; I do not know what is. Add to this that several stations on on low power digital and ready to throw the switch in two weeks. There are others, who have tor remain on low power digital until August, so the analog facilities can be swapped out; again this has already been paid for. The cost of a four month delay is more than the number of people who will lose their signals.

#213 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,833 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 03:01 PM

Please folks, while the hearing is going on, let's refrain from commentary so that people can go to this thread and read about what's going on. You have my complete permission to comment all you want (within forum rules) after the hearing has ended.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#214 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,246 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 03:03 PM

The motion to re-commit with instructions has failed. Next up, I believe, is the vote on the Bill itself.

Go Packers!

#215 OFFLINE   SParker

SParker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,558 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 03:06 PM

Ugh looks like it going to pass easily.

#216 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,246 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 03:08 PM

Please continue discussion here: http://www.dbstalk.c...043#post1986043

Go Packers!

spam firewall