Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Breaking News: Senate passes another DTV Delay Act, Goes to House Floor

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
215 replies to this topic

#21 ONLINE   davring

davring

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,370 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 08:36 AM

Either way, it doesn't really matter. That number will be the same no matter when the government decides to switch. It will only be after the people loose there signal that they will do anything about it. What a waste of time. :rolleyes:

I beleive you are right on that count. You could postpone this many more times and the numbers probably wouldn't change.
HR20-700(2.0TB)>Sony XBR-55HX929
HR20-700>Sony KDL40V2500
OTA RS outdoor ant
Hardwire networked to Cysco Router 6.0 AT&T DSL
MRV enabled
R15-500>Samsung LNT2342H
DirecTV customer since 1997

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   jake14mw

jake14mw

AllStar

• Registered
  • 89 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 08:36 AM

This is very simple. If they are not ready now, they will not be ready in 2 months, 4 months or 4 years. There has been a ton of money spent on the education campain, and now there will be even more spent by delaying this.

It's not the end of the world if grandma can't watch the Price is Right until she gets a receiver. Get it done now!

#23 OFFLINE   kwajr

kwajr

Icon

• Registered
  • 742 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 08:42 AM

i have had dvr since 2001 but some people in the house cant understand that they dont have to watch somethings the moment they come on i like to buffer even live stuff like the news recvord for 15 mins then watch. but reaaly some people arnt going to get the dtv switch till they turn on the tv and it aint there

#24 OFFLINE   capegator

capegator

Legend

• Registered
  • 136 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 08:42 AM

Either way, it doesn't really matter. That number will be the same no matter when the government decides to switch. It will only be after the people loose there signal that they will do anything about it. What a waste of time. :rolleyes:

Exactly. There will likely be the same number of analog heads whenever they flip the switch. This will just require stations who have completed the transition to spend millions on continuing to provide an analog signal.

Another issue in our neck of the woods - making the switch in June during the hurricane season. Good timing Congress.

Perhaps we can include a few billion $ in the "stimulus" package for more discount converter coupons.

Edited by capegator, 30 January 2009 - 09:01 AM.

#25 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

High tech and loving it.

• Super Moderators
  • 20,245 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 08:45 AM

I believe I understand why the first bill required suspension of the House Rules (so that bill is completely dead, by the way). House Rules are "pay as you go" and one of the modifications to create the new bill was:

(d) Condition of Modifications- The amendments made by this section shall not take effect until the enactment of additional budget authority after the date of enactment of this Act to carry out the analog-to-digital converter box program under section 3005 of the Digital Television Transition and Public Safety Act of 2005.

which allows normal bill processing in the House.

Cheers,
Tom
Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#26 OFFLINE   tunce

tunce

Godfather

• Registered
  • 332 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 08:46 AM

Well I guess that's easy enough to say, and believe me I'm totally against the DTV delay as well. But while remaining politcally neutral on the issue I have to admit that if I were in government and faced with daunting reports like this from the FCC as linked in the CGC Communicator (issue #871):

http://hraunfoss.fcc...OC-287163A1.doc

I honestly can't say I wouldn't have voted for the delay myself if I were in their shoes up on capitol hill.

(Mod Edit: Redacted)

Seriously, I would still have not voted for the delay as I believe the Government does not need to be a hand holder for this. I could care less about some people not having a TV, It is not a "right" to have a TV. This country has gotten so backwards in their thinking that everything in life needs to be a "right". When people find out they can vote themselves free gifts, that ends the empire - sound familiar? :mad:

This is gotten way out of hand there are a few "third world" countries that already have switched.

Edited by Stuart Sweet, 30 January 2009 - 09:22 AM.

Tunce

HR34-700 w/AM21 | HR20-700 | H21-200 | SWiM | Slimline 3
Whole Home - External Antenna

#27 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

High tech and loving it.

• Super Moderators
  • 20,245 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 08:52 AM

<Moderator Hat On>

Please remember this is a highly political topic and that DBStalk does not permit political discussion. What we do permit and encourage is matter of fact discussion about government actions as apply to DBS and TV.

So please leave off all commentary about the parties or the political figures. Please don't compare this action to other actions the government might do. And please don't single any government person or group for insults.

Thank you,
Tom
Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#28 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

High tech and loving it.

• Super Moderators
  • 20,245 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 09:02 AM

I really want to see what the new bill says about "first responder" communications.
Another point, yesterday's Cleveland Plain Dealer said Channels 3 and 25 will stay analog until June 12 no matter what. I know a retired engineer from channel 3 and he told me the station is having all types of tech problems with their new frequency digital transmitter. Chan 3 is now broadcasting digital on chan 2 and had expected to change to another channel in the teens by now.

Actually the new bill simplifies the language a tiny bit. Basically, if the spectrum is clear in an area, licensees can use it immediately (following all the existing rules for starting those transmissions.)

Cheers,
Tom
Go Packers!

#29 OFFLINE   Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz

Day Sleeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,747 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 30 January 2009 - 09:10 AM

Sigh.... if we have so much problems and concerns with the Digital Switch, what is going to happen when we have to transition from IPv4 to IPv6?
:sleeping:  I am a day sleeper. I follow a European schedule.
Check out my list of links.

#30 OFFLINE   menkelis

menkelis

AllStar

• Registered
  • 88 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 09:12 AM

The Portland,OR area WILL be switching to DTV on Feb. 18 as planned.
I can't say anything about the rest of the state.....

#31 OFFLINE   tunce

tunce

Godfather

• Registered
  • 332 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 09:32 AM

Eh, Who cares.... Not a big problem for anyone on this forum... Is anyone going to die or even loose sleep if your analog chanel stays lit longer? Like I've said before all your locals should be digitial aswell by now.....

Do you realize how much money is going to be lost by delaying this? There are companies that laid out billions for the use of the analog frequencies already and now are facing huge losses if this goes through. Just google Verizon and see what they are planning to do to the government if this passes. They are going to use the frequencies for their 4G network and were going to roll this this out soon after the DTV switch. This is not what we need during this messed up economy.

(hope this is ok and not violating anything Tom. :) )
Tunce

#32 OFFLINE   ziggy29

ziggy29

Icon

• Registered
  • 689 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio DMA

Posted 30 January 2009 - 09:33 AM

Let's face it, folks: this is a done deal. Congress will clearly not let this one go, no matter what other issues need their attention a lot more. If they have to ignore the economy for weeks in order to get this done, they will get this done. A half million more people may lose their jobs in the meantime, but our heroes will have saved analog TV for four more months...

#33 OFFLINE   tunce

tunce

Godfather

• Registered
  • 332 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 09:35 AM

Sigh.... if we have so much problems and concerns with the Digital Switch, what is going to happen when we have to transition from IPv4 to IPv6?

...oh boy that is the truest statement yet. IPv6 is going to be a mess!

(back to the topic)
Tunce

#34 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

High tech and loving it.

• Super Moderators
  • 20,245 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 09:36 AM

Do you realize how much money is going to be lost by delaying this? There are companies that laid out billions for the use of the analog frequencies already and now are facing huge losses if this goes through. Just google Verizon and see what they are planning to do to the government if this passes. They are going to use the frequencies for their 4G network and were going to roll this this out soon after the DTV switch. This is not what we need during this messed up economy.

All good stuff. Thanks for reminding us how delaying does cost money in other ways.

People have also mentioned the fairly large electrical costs associated with dual illumination. Ranges I've seen are from $10k to $30k per month depending on the power used.

Cheers,
Tom
Go Packers!

#35 OFFLINE   tunce

tunce

Godfather

• Registered
  • 332 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 09:44 AM

All good stuff. Thanks for reminding us how delaying does cost money in other ways.

People have also mentioned the fairly large electrical costs associated with dual illumination. Ranges I've seen are from $10k to $30k per month depending on the power used.

Cheers,
Tom

I have also heard on NPR (can't believe I listen to that can you - ha) that the true waste of dual tower electrical cost for the 4 mouth delay will use enough electricity to power every residential house in the United States for 1 whole year! (Wow)
Tunce

#36 OFFLINE   bobcamp1

bobcamp1

Icon

• Registered
  • 895 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 09:46 AM

My comments are:

1. Some TVs don't have a coax input. They'll also need an adapter.
2. What about VCRs? You'll also have to train people how to use their VCR in a different way. And did they buy a converter box with timers for VCR use?
3. That tiny print scrolling across the bottom of the screen can't be read by many people due to poor eyesight.
4. That tiny print scrolling across the bottom of the screen can't be read by many people because while they may understand conversational English, they have no idea what many of the words in the scroll mean.
5. That tiny print scrolling across the bottom of the screen can't be read by many people because while English is their only language, they have no idea what many of the words in the scroll mean.
6. Some people's most complex electronic device is the TV. The toaster is the next most complex electronic device they own. My Grandma has never owned or driven a car, doesn't own a VCR or microwave, and doesn't even own a toaster. For her, the bedside clock is the next most complex device she owns. And she can't set the time on it.
7. Some people may need new antennas. Their old antennas may be fine now, but they may need new antennas on the cutoff date. They may now need to be installed outdoors. In the middle of winter.
8. Some broadcasters may need more time. My digital signals go out all day once a week on my FOX and CBS affiliates.
9. Some people are physically unable to install the new box due to medical issues.
10. The message of "perform a rescan on Feb. 17" isn't getting out to anybody. In many areas, rescans will have to be performed. I think this would cut down on a lot of the phone calls.

I also know of at least 12 people who still do not understand the analog shutdown is taking place. I've tried explaining it to them, and they just don't get it. And only four of them have cable.

#37 OFFLINE   ziggy29

ziggy29

Icon

• Registered
  • 689 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio DMA

Posted 30 January 2009 - 09:50 AM

Someone elsewhere quoted a reply they got from engineering at one of the Austin stations. They said they intended to kill the analog signal after 2/17 as long as the legislation allowed them to do so because it was costing them an extra $20,000 a month to keep analog going, and this isn't an economic environment when many businesses are willing to eat that kind of cost if it's not required.

#38 OFFLINE   Sirshagg

Sirshagg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,922 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 09:58 AM

Everything I've seen shows Verizon supports the delay. Qualcomm on the other hand does not.
Who is this "Vod Kanockers" that you speak of?

#39 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

High tech and loving it.

• Super Moderators
  • 20,245 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 09:59 AM

My comments are:

1. Some TVs don't have a coax input. They'll also need an adapter.
2. What about VCRs? You'll also have to train people how to use their VCR in a different way. And did they buy a converter box with timers for VCR use?
3. That tiny print scrolling across the bottom of the screen can't be read by many people due to poor eyesight.
4. That tiny print scrolling across the bottom of the screen can't be read by many people because while they may understand conversational English, they have no idea what many of the words in the scroll mean.
5. That tiny print scrolling across the bottom of the screen can't be read by many people because while English is their only language, they have no idea what many of the words in the scroll mean.
6. Some people's most complex electronic device is the TV. The toaster is the next most complex electronic device they own. My Grandma has never owned or driven a car, doesn't own a VCR or microwave, and doesn't even own a toaster. For her, the bedside clock is the next most complex device she owns. And she can't set the time on it.
7. Some people may need new antennas. Their old antennas may be fine now, but they may need new antennas on the cutoff date. They may now need to be installed outdoors. In the middle of winter.
8. Some broadcasters may need more time. My digital signals go out all day once a week on my FOX and CBS affiliates.
9. Some people are physically unable to install the new box due to medical issues.
10. The message of "perform a rescan on Feb. 17" isn't getting out to anybody. In many areas, rescans will have to be performed. I think this would cut down on a lot of the phone calls.

I also know of at least 12 people who still do not understand the analog shutdown is taking place. I've tried explaining it to them, and they just don't get it. And only four of them have cable.

Excellent reminders to those of use that don't have any problems crawling in attics, wiring up complex telco and TV infrastructures. :)

Funny sidebar. When I met my wife 25 years ago, I was the most technically advanced person she knew, definitely loved the tech toys. (And still do obviously)

Yet, on my headboard was a wind-up baby bell clock. When asked why I didn't have a digital clock, I had a simple answer: wind up clocks still work when the power goes out. Since I had to set an alarm every day anyway, I'd rather be sure it would work. :)

Now I don't care if the alarm goes off after power outages, clocks have battery backups, and I have several clocks that set their time to WWV anyway. So I'm back as a tech toymaster. :)

Cheers,
Tom
Go Packers!

#40 OFFLINE   Pepster

Pepster

Legend

• Registered
  • 212 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 10:12 AM

Senate Passes Second Bill Changing DTV Transition Date
Bill expected to be sent to the House for consideration under regular rules
John Eggerton -- Broadcasting & Cable, 1/29/2009 5:26:03 PM MT

Quoting one of my favorite americans, the great Dick Dastardly, drat, drat & double drat.

Can we end this already. No matter what the date is, SOME PEOPLE won't be ready.

spam firewall