Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Breaking News: Senate passes another DTV Delay Act, Goes to House Floor

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
215 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• Registered
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 30 January 2009 - 10:31 AM

Eh, Who cares.... Not a big problem for anyone on this forum... Is anyone going to die or even loose sleep if your analog chanel stays lit longer? Like I've said before all your locals should be digitial aswell by now.....

It IS a problem for a lot of knowledgeable people who have upgraded to OTA DTV because many stations are running reduced digital output power or a lower, inferior antenna until space on the top of their tower (now occupied by the analog antenna) can be cleared and the digital transmission antenna moved/upgraded.

This is also causing periodic pixelation of the DirecTV LIL feeds so EVERYONE is affected. :mad:

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   loudo

loudo

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,487 posts
  • LocationCentral Maine

Posted 30 January 2009 - 10:38 AM

People have know about this for 4 years. The few remaining procrastinators will not be ready in June, anymore than they are ready today. Some people just don't move until they have to.

Could this Delay Act be over the rights as to who gets the frequencies, once they are released, and have nothing to do with the concern of a small minority of procrastinators, who are not ready?

H44-200 - Samsung 1080p 46" LED - HDMI
C41-100 - Samsunbg 32" LED - HDMI
C41-100 - Mitsubishi 1080p 57" DLP - HDMI - Pioneer Home Theater Sound

LG 20 LCD" & Viewsonic 17" HDTV LCD - Component via Cat 6 baluns from HR44-200
Slimline w/ SWM3 LNB. OTA master antenna system to all sets.

#43 OFFLINE   SEAKevin

SEAKevin

AllStar

• Registered
  • 51 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 10:40 AM

I have a question that probably has been answered on here in some thread about this topic that I haven't read...

When the official transition occurs will all stations simply shut off their analog signals?

Or will there be a period of days or weeks where stations will discontinue all analog programming but broadcast a mandatory message (in analog) that explains to the viewer they will no longer get programs unless they get a converter box, and offer a phone number or something where they can call for more info?

#44 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,389 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 30 January 2009 - 10:44 AM

Could this Delay Act be over the rights as to who gets the frequencies, once they are released...

My understanding is that the frequencies are already "sold", so any delay in the transition may result in another missed delivery date of promised bandwidth.

#45 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,389 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 30 January 2009 - 10:48 AM

When the official transition occurs will all stations simply shut off their analog signals?

It is somewhat up to the station. I think it likely that they will shut off their main analog feeds. The confusing part of the DTV transition is that some of the rural translators and low power stations will continue to operate in analog mode as allowed for a certain period after the transition. I'm not sure if the Nielsen surveys took this into account but I'm betting that they didn't.

#46 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,264 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 30 January 2009 - 10:51 AM

Senate Passes Second Bill Changing DTV Transition Date
Bill expected to be sent to the House for consideration under regular rules
John Eggerton -- Broadcasting & Cable, 1/29/2009 5:26:03 PM MT

Quoting one of my favorite americans, the great Dick Dastardly, drat, drat & double drat.

Can we end this already. No matter what the date is, SOME PEOPLE won't be ready.

Yeah...

But then it seems like the Senate sarcastically snickers like Dastardly's sidekick henchman dog "Muttley" in response and just ignores us on this issue and simply continues pushing for the DTV delay. :D

#47 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,378 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 30 January 2009 - 10:52 AM

Eh, Who cares.... Not a big problem for anyone on this forum... Is anyone going to die or even loose sleep if your analog chanel stays lit longer? Like I've said before all your locals should be digitial aswell by now.....

Why is that. Not all of us have locals from our provider. Not all OTA is digital so I dont understand your comment.

#48 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,929 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 30 January 2009 - 10:55 AM

Here's the text of the legislation .. again, passed by "unanimous consent" as James pointed out which basically means no one objected to it being passed. I don't believe there was a real vote.

Also, it is very clear in the text that if a broadcaster doesn't want to delay, then they don't have to. They simply have to follow the current rules in effect by the FCC. Any broadcaster that does delay is doing so for his/her own reasons.

At this point, I don't care if it is extended or not .. everyone has a choice in the matter. Now if every broadcaster decides to switch, this Bill (soon to be Law) simply become moot.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#49 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,929 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 30 January 2009 - 10:59 AM

It is somewhat up to the station. I think it likely that they will shut off their main analog feeds. The confusing part of the DTV transition is that some of the rural translators and low power stations will continue to operate in analog mode as allowed for a certain period after the transition. I'm not sure if the Nielsen surveys took this into account but I'm betting that they didn't.

You bring up a very interesting point .. I don't think that the new Bill addresses this secondary cut off at all. I have not looked at the text of the original bill (S.352 is an amendment to the "Digital Television Transition and Public Safety Act of 2005" and the "Communications Act of 1934").

Is is possible that the low power stations will have to still adhere to that original date which will be earlier than June 12? What I don't know is if the low-power rule is an FCC thing vs. a legislative thing.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#50 OFFLINE   Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz

Day Sleeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,927 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 30 January 2009 - 11:09 AM

When I checked SFGate, SacBee, KCRA, KXTV, and KOVR news sites, no mention of this new bill. Hmmmm.... gotta check NY Times and LA Times.
"In many ways, this opera does fulfil my often quoted description of what most operas is about. The tenor is trying to sleep with the soprano, and the baritone is trying to stop them." - Sean Bianco, KXPR At The Opera
Check out my list of links.

#51 OFFLINE   njblackberry

njblackberry

Icon

• Registered
  • 653 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 11:10 AM

Does anyone else find it ironic that a bill mandating a change in broadcast technology is associated with the "Communications Act of 1934"?

#52 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,906 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 11:15 AM

No, that was the law that allowed for the creation of the NTSC rules for broadcasting. It remains the pertinent legal precedent until the ATSC rules take effect, although it was superseded by the Telecommunications Act of 1996 which established the ATSC. It did not take an act of Congress to mandate the standards for color or stereo, because they did not interfere with the ability of mono, B&W TVs to get reception.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#53 OFFLINE   loudo

loudo

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,487 posts
  • LocationCentral Maine

Posted 30 January 2009 - 11:36 AM

When I checked SFGate, SacBee, KCRA, KXTV, and KOVR news sites, no mention of this new bill. Hmmmm.... gotta check NY Times and LA Times.

Senate passed it last night and House to take it up next week.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28930229/

H44-200 - Samsung 1080p 46" LED - HDMI
C41-100 - Samsunbg 32" LED - HDMI
C41-100 - Mitsubishi 1080p 57" DLP - HDMI - Pioneer Home Theater Sound

LG 20 LCD" & Viewsonic 17" HDTV LCD - Component via Cat 6 baluns from HR44-200
Slimline w/ SWM3 LNB. OTA master antenna system to all sets.

#54 OFFLINE   jazzyjez

jazzyjez

Legend

• Registered
  • 164 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 11:40 AM

It was interesting reading the FCC document that's presumably at the heart of this request for the setback. In part, this is because I live in the Wilmington area that made the transition last September... the writer extrapolates the number of inquiries received here to the entire country, to get a figure of 2.2 million households needing some help. Based on that, it would seem prudent to have some delay -- but as was already pointed out, since in many cases that would just delay the inevitable (i.e. those that don't know now, still won't know in one month or n months) -- so why not have a staggered delay? This could either be by State or time-zone. (Actually there has probably been a lot more information available since our September transition, so that estimate should have been reduced.)

My own experience has been good -- but less than perfect: like many on this forum, I consider myself a little ahead-of-the-curve, and have set up a couple of new, reasonably high quality antennas and cabling. These two antennas go to each of my HR20 receivers without any splitters, and in one case the cable run is only ~ 20ft. I get a reasonable high level signals -- on average -- across all channels, but if there is any wind (> 20mph), then frequent pixellation and loss of audio is likely. And this is in winter with relatively little foliage around. As spring approaches I anticipate there will be a significant rise in the number of complaints. Since my signal levels are good, it seems most likely that this is multi-path interference -- having read up on this somewhat, I'm inclined to think that the ATSC choice of 8VSB as its modulation system was actually a rather poor one -- we'll see, but there are numerous reports that highlight the weakness of that system compared to COFDM (which is why that was chosen by more-or-less every other country!).

#55 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,810 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 30 January 2009 - 11:51 AM

It was interesting reading the FCC document that's presumably at the heart of this request for the setback. In part, this is because I live in the Wilmington area that made the transition last September... the writer extrapolates the number of inquiries received here to the entire country, to get a figure of 2.2 million households needing some help. Based on that, it would seem prudent to have some delay -- but as was already pointed out, since in many cases that would just delay the inevitable (i.e. those that don't know now, still won't know in one month or n months) -- so why not have a staggered delay? This could either be by State or time-zone. (Actually there has probably been a lot more information available since our September transition, so that estimate should have been reduced.)

My own experience has been good -- but less than perfect: like many on this forum, I consider myself a little ahead-of-the-curve, and have set up a couple of new, reasonably high quality antennas and cabling. These two antennas go to each of my HR20 receivers without any splitters, and in one case the cable run is only ~ 20ft. I get a reasonable high level signals -- on average -- across all channels, but if there is any wind (> 20mph), then frequent pixellation and loss of audio is likely. And this is in winter with relatively little foliage around. As spring approaches I anticipate there will be a significant rise in the number of complaints. Since my signal levels are good, it seems most likely that this is multi-path interference -- having read up on this somewhat, I'm inclined to think that the ATSC choice of 8VSB as its modulation system was actually a rather poor one -- we'll see, but there are numerous reports that highlight the weakness of that system compared to COFDM (which is why that was chosen by more-or-less every other country!).

At this point that debate is dead and buried. I would advise not bringing it up again. We have what we have.
You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

#56 OFFLINE   KTMCDO

KTMCDO

AllStar

• Registered
  • 60 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 11:59 AM

the people cant afford a lowcost
digital converter box give me a friggin break

#57 OFFLINE   snowcat

snowcat

Legend

• Registered
  • 236 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 12:20 PM

If the House does approve of the delay next week, there are going to be a lot of confused consumers on Feb 17/18. I can see headlines reading "Congress delays digital transition till June" and then the local stations shut off their analog anyway.

I wrote my Representative to vote against the delay, for all the good that it will do me. I guess I can only worry about myself and my extended family, and they are all set.

#58 OFFLINE   spedinfargo

spedinfargo

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 12:26 PM

Commercials, what commercials, I mean since I have 4 DVRS I never watch commercials... Maybe you should upgrade your receivers then you won't have to watch those things.... I mean DVRS have been around for 10+ years you mean you haven't got atleast one yet?

It's not commercials for me that's the problem - our local stations run a crawler on top the first 30-60 seconds of each prime-time show with the information (even on my DirecTV SD feed). The worst part about it is that they don't have the equipment to do so properly so it kicks my HD OTA feed down to SD while they're running the crawl... sucks.

#59 OFFLINE   phox_mulder

phox_mulder

Legend

• Registered
  • 191 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 12:26 PM

Most of the broadcasters in Utah decided yesterday to switch off on Feb 17th come what may.

The UBA (Utah Broadcasters Association) got together and voted, the two PBS stations are the only holdouts citing the Federal Money they get as one of the reasons (although not stated in the article below).

Feb. 17 is still D-Day for Utah viewers unprepared for the switch to digital television.

That's when most of the state's television stations are planning to shut off their analog signals in the switch to all-digital TV, the president of the Utah Broadcasters Association said Thursday.

Representatives from the state's eight affiliates met to decide whether to honor a new deadline extension if Congress passes a bill that pushes the date to June 12.

Commercial stations -- KUTV Channel 2, KTVX Channel 4, KSL Channel 5, KUCW Channel 30, KSTU Channel 13 and KJZZ Channel 14 -- agreed they will shut off their signals on the original Feb. 17 date.

"We want to shut down together," said UBA President Dale Zabriskie. "It's because of cost. We feel that no matter how long you put this off, not everyone is going to be ready. We think you can wait until June 12 and there still will be people who haven't taken action."

Meanwhile, the state's two public stations, KUED Channel 7 and KBYU Channel 11, say they will wait longer to make the transition and perhaps abide by the June 12 deadline.

"Congress and the president are saying it's a good idea, and we're public television," said KUED general manager Larry Smith. "But we're torn between the public-service thing and if it's good to keep [the analog signal] going while everyone else is off."

http://www.sltrib.com/news/ci_11584425

phox

#60 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 40,233 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 12:40 PM

As noted, often, in order for many stations to get to their best digital signals on the air they will need to kill their analog signals or neighboring stations will need to kill their analog signals. Right now Digital TV is LIMITED by the existence of analog TV. The quicker analog goes away, the better.

My locals are digital, but they are not as good as they will be once analog goes away. And while most people here are satellite subscribers, getting HD often means a local antenna trying to pick up an OTA signal. Lingering analog DOES affect us.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...