Posted 30 January 2009 - 11:40 AM
It was interesting reading the FCC document that's presumably at the heart of this request for the setback. In part, this is because I live in the Wilmington area that made the transition last September... the writer extrapolates the number of inquiries received here to the entire country, to get a figure of 2.2 million households needing some help. Based on that, it would seem prudent to have some delay -- but as was already pointed out, since in many cases that would just delay the inevitable (i.e. those that don't know now, still won't know in one month or n months) -- so why not have a staggered delay? This could either be by State or time-zone. (Actually there has probably been a lot more information available since our September transition, so that estimate should have been reduced.)
My own experience has been good -- but less than perfect: like many on this forum, I consider myself a little ahead-of-the-curve, and have set up a couple of new, reasonably high quality antennas and cabling. These two antennas go to each of my HR20 receivers without any splitters, and in one case the cable run is only ~ 20ft. I get a reasonable high level signals -- on average -- across all channels, but if there is any wind (> 20mph), then frequent pixellation and loss of audio is likely. And this is in winter with relatively little foliage around. As spring approaches I anticipate there will be a significant rise in the number of complaints. Since my signal levels are good, it seems most likely that this is multi-path interference -- having read up on this somewhat, I'm inclined to think that the ATSC choice of 8VSB as its modulation system was actually a rather poor one -- we'll see, but there are numerous reports that highlight the weakness of that system compared to COFDM (which is why that was chosen by more-or-less every other country!).