Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

MLB blackout question

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   schlar01

schlar01

Godfather

• Registered
  • 335 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 01:26 PM

I think this question has been asked before but I'll ask it again.

I'm a Twins fan and live in Wisconsin (54601). According to the map below I don't think I should be blacked out when the Twins play on FSN because the Twins have not claimed that area. Is that correct? Does anyone know of a more up to date resource? I ask because I subscribed to MLB EI last year and after thinking about it, I really shouldn't have to.

http://en.wikipedia....ckout_Areas.png

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   66stang351

66stang351

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 02:04 PM

The reason you need MLB EI is because you are not in the Twins area. If you were in their area then you would get them without MLB EI.

#3 OFFLINE   schlar01

schlar01

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 335 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 03:04 PM

I thought it was the other way around but I may have it backwards. The map shows the blackout area, which doesn't include Wisconsin. Since I have FSN, which airs the Twins games, it seems like I should get them. Again, I may have it backwards, but its a confusing process.

#4 OFFLINE   jodyguercio

jodyguercio

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,793 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 03:05 PM

I think this question has been asked before but I'll ask it again.

I'm a Twins fan and live in Wisconsin (54601). According to the map below I don't think I should be blacked out when the Twins play on FSN because the Twins have not claimed that area. Is that correct? Does anyone know of a more up to date resource? I ask because I subscribed to MLB EI last year and after thinking about it, I really shouldn't have to.

http://en.wikipedia....ckout_Areas.png

If that zip code is in the striped area in western Wis next to Minn then your area is clamied by both the Twins and the Brewers and depending on who is playing on FSN that night might explain why you need EI. Try living in Iowa and figuring out who claims you...
A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -- Author Unknown

LIVE SIMPLE, LOVE GENEROUSLY , CARE DEEPLY, SPEAK KINDLY AND LEAVE THE REST TO GOD

#5 OFFLINE   hobbes

hobbes

Godfather

• Registered
  • 289 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 03:15 PM

The easiest way to check your ZIP code is at the MLB.tv site here: http://mlb.mlb.com/m...ex.jsp#20081029

About 2/3's down the page there is a white box and a go button. The resulting pop-up will tell you what teams claim you ZIP code.

54601 is only claimed by the Milwaukee Brewers. That means that if you have MLB Extra Innings, the Brewers will be the only team blacked out from that service (other than the usual Fox Saturday games).

Since you are not in the Twins territory, you cannot get non-national Twins games without MLB EI (or MLB.tv, if you prefer).

- HR20-700 to Samsung DLP S5687W via Audio/Video Conx: HDMI; DECA to router
- HR21-200 to Samsung LCD LN37B650 via Audio/Video Conx: HDMI; DECA to router; Slingbox Pro via Conx: Component
- Slimline3, SWM-8 with 4-way DirecTV installed splitter, ~50' RG-6 Dish to SWM.
- HR20-700 Setup: Native - On; Network - Yes; eSata - No; OTA - No. CID - No.
- HR21-200 Setup: Native - On; Network - Yes; eSata - No; OTA - No. CID - No.

#6 OFFLINE   Baldmaga

Baldmaga

Godfather

• Registered
  • 440 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 03:30 PM

The reason you need MLB EI is because you are not in the Twins area. If you were in their area then you would get them without MLB EI.

That list is saying what team you WILL NOT be able to view via the MLB EI package. Because your ZIP is not on the Twins list, that means you aren't blacked out locally. So by virtue of not being on that list, you are "out-of-market", and need to purchase the "OOM" package like EI and/or MLB.TV.

MLB's blackout rules are borderline insane, but rules are rules :nono2::mad:

#7 OFFLINE   schlar01

schlar01

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 335 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 03:33 PM

That list is saying what team you WILL NOT be able to view via the MLB EI package. Because your ZIP is not on the Twins list, that means you aren't blacked out locally. So by virtue of not being on that list, you are "out-of-market", and need to purchase the "OOM" package like EI and/or MLB.TV.

MLB's blackout rules are borderline insane, but rules are rules :nono2::mad:

Thats the thing, since it is claimed only by the Brewers, wouldn't I automatically get the Twins games since I already get FSN and the games are on FSN? Its confusing because D* will add FSN-WI for the Brewers games and I can watch them but then they black the Twins games out. It seems like I should be able to get the Twins games, as well, because FSN is already in my package.

#8 OFFLINE   Baldmaga

Baldmaga

Godfather

• Registered
  • 440 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 03:39 PM

Thats the thing, since it is claimed only by the Brewers, wouldn't I automatically get the Twins games since I already get FSN and the games are on FSN? Its confusing because D* will add FSN-WI for the Brewers games and I can watch them but then they black the Twins games out. It seems like I should be able to get the Twins games, as well, because FSN is already in my package.

I get the premier package, which comes with every single FSN on earth (182,923 I think).

The thing is, my ZIP (albeit in Louisiana) is claimed by both the Rangers, and the Astros. Without subscribing to MLB EI, I could watch these games on FSSouthwest, but a St. Louis Cardinals game I could not, even though I get FSMidwest.

In your case, you may receive FSNorth, but since you are in Brewers territory, the Twins are off limits, hence the need for FSWisconsin, so they can show those two teams simultaneously.

I know it's confusing, but like I said earlier...the rules are the rules, as bad as they are.

#9 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,089 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 06:39 PM

Central Arkansas is claimed by Houston, Dallas, Kansas City, and St. Louis. My home FSN is FsSW (Astros). does this mean when the brewers (my team) play any of those other teams, it will be blacked out?

LAST YEAR, the Cardinals were blacked out on MLBEI, but were NOT blacked out on the sports Pak. This is way to weird.

#10 OFFLINE   schlar01

schlar01

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 335 posts

Posted 31 January 2009 - 09:22 AM

I get the premier package, which comes with every single FSN on earth (182,923 I think).

The thing is, my ZIP (albeit in Louisiana) is claimed by both the Rangers, and the Astros. Without subscribing to MLB EI, I could watch these games on FSSouthwest, but a St. Louis Cardinals game I could not, even though I get FSMidwest.

In your case, you may receive FSNorth, but since you are in Brewers territory, the Twins are off limits, hence the need for FSWisconsin, so they can show those two teams simultaneously.

I know it's confusing, but like I said earlier...the rules are the rules, as bad as they are.

The only thing that seems odd is that I get FSN without the sports pack because it is my 'home' RSN. Since the Twins are on that channel and 54601 is NOT a blackout zip, it seems like I shouldn't need the package. I understand it if you only get the RSN through the sports pack.

#11 OFFLINE   JLester

JLester

AllStar

• Registered
  • 82 posts

Posted 31 January 2009 - 09:50 AM

The only thing that seems odd is that I get FSN without the sports pack because it is my 'home' RSN. Since the Twins are on that channel and 54601 is NOT a blackout zip, it seems like I shouldn't need the package. I understand it if you only get the RSN through the sports pack.

It is confusing, but the blackout rules work opposite from what you would think at first glance. It took me a couple of years to figure it out. I am in the Orioles blackout area, but my favorite team is the Yankees. I of course have to get the MLBEI package to watch all the Yankees games. When they play the Orioles though, I am required to watch them on my Baltimore RSN, the Yankees feed on MLBEI is blacked out. Since you are not in the Twins blackout area, you cannot watch them on your local RSN, even if you get it as part of your base package. These are MLB rules, not DirecTV. The only games you can watch on your local RSN are those for which you are in the blackout area. All others require MLBEI. The really crazy thing is that if my Baltimore RSN does not even show the game, I still cannot watch the Yankees feed! I am not sure what they are protecting in that case.

Jason

#12 OFFLINE   crendall

crendall

Legend

• Registered
  • 142 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 09:07 AM

FSWisconsin is not a full-time channel on DirecTV so they give us FSNorth, which is full-time, and FSWisconsin for just Brewers and Bucks games. If/When FSWisconsin goes full-time on DirecTV I don't think customers in Wisconsin will get FSNorth anymore and we'll just get FSWisconsin.

spam firewall