Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Mega March Madness

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   heisman6183

heisman6183

AllStar

• Registered
  • 91 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 01:52 PM

With the tournament right around the corner, I was wondering if anyone has purchased the Mega March Madness package before and how they liked it. My primary concern is how many games are in HD, since I know I won't watch any that arne't (besides the mix channel). Any input would be helpful.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,036 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 02:18 PM

With the tournament right around the corner, I was wondering if anyone has purchased the Mega March Madness package before and how they liked it. My primary concern is how many games are in HD, since I know I won't watch any that arne't (besides the mix channel). Any input would be helpful.

All the games will be in HD that are part of MMM....all 37 games.

#3 OFFLINE   jefbal99

jefbal99

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,838 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 02:38 PM

Got it last year and it was an amazing package. All games in PPV and 5.1 (cept the games blacked out on my local).

DirecTV did a good job of cycling games when my local flexed.

I took the two days off from work and will be doing it again this year.

HD Mix channel rules
Receiving Equipment: AU9 Slimline w/Zinwell WB68 & SWM 8 | Winegard MS-2000 w/PS-1503 Power Injector
Living Room: HR22-100 w/AM-21 | Samsung HL-S4266W (HDMI) | Ethernet MRV | Pioneer HTS-GS1 5.1 | Yamaha DV-S6160 (Component/Digital Coaxial)
Bedroom: H21-200 w/AM-21 | Westinghouse LVM-42w2 (HDMI) | Ethernet MRV
Home Theatre: HR20-100 | Sanyo PLV-Z60 (Component/Optical) | Flexio 16:9 100" Screen | Ethernet MRV |Yamaha YHT-690 | XBox 360 (Component) | Harmony 880

#4 OFFLINE   heisman6183

heisman6183

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 91 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 02:51 PM

Where does the 37 number come from? I know the local game isn't counted but I'm not sure where 37 comes from. Again, I haven't purchased it before so I'm a little ignorant, but it seems like a great service so I don't get stuck watching 1-16 games.

#5 OFFLINE   miketorse

miketorse

Icon

• Registered
  • 647 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 02:57 PM

Our CBS Station here in Raleigh carries all the out of market NCAA Tourney games on their digital subchannels AND all in HD. (They share the bandwidth of their FOX station that they also own).

Free with OTA! Hopefully that won't change this year, I haven't heard that it would.
Mike

My system:

HR21
HR22 w/ AM21
R15
SWM-8
Slimline5 w/ no LOS to 119 Slimline3

#6 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,036 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 03:01 PM

Where does the 37 number come from? I know the local game isn't counted but I'm not sure where 37 comes from. Again, I haven't purchased it before so I'm a little ignorant, but it seems like a great service so I don't get stuck watching 1-16 games.

Basically it's the first 3 rounds of games minus the games you already get on CBS. That's where the 37 comes from.

So technically, if you have MMM, Choice and above and local channels, you get all 64 games (play-in game on ESPN, the CBS games and the MMM games).

All the MMM games are in HD.

#7 OFFLINE   heisman6183

heisman6183

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 91 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 03:12 PM

That's great news. I don't think Cedar Rapids, IA is as college hoops crazy as Raleigh to carry all the games on subchannels, but that would be nice.

#8 OFFLINE   miketorse

miketorse

Icon

• Registered
  • 647 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 03:14 PM

That's great news. I don't think Cedar Rapids, IA is as college hoops crazy as Raleigh to carry all the games on subchannels, but that would be nice.

Especially for a Big East fan like myself stuck in ACC country! :-)
Mike

My system:

HR21
HR22 w/ AM21
R15
SWM-8
Slimline5 w/ no LOS to 119 Slimline3

#9 OFFLINE   Pepster

Pepster

Legend

• Registered
  • 212 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 05:08 PM

Our CBS Station here in Raleigh carries all the out of market NCAA Tourney games on their digital subchannels AND all in HD. (They share the bandwidth of their FOX station that they also own).

Free with OTA! Hopefully that won't change this year, I haven't heard that it would.

The quote is very interesting. My local C.B.S. station, WCBS in N.Y.C., only has their regular analog signal Channel 2 & their digital sub-station 2-1, so we don't get to switch out like that.

I understand the co-ownership, but if I had purchased commercials during the time I thought a game of greater local interest was airing on the primary channel, yet locals were allowed to tune to another game on free over TV elsewhere, it might upset me. I've been doing MMOD via the computer the last couple of years (that's free....yes, it's SD, but it's still free).

#10 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,036 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 05:10 PM

There are about 20 markets in the country that do this. One downside, however, is that they often take down the local CBS in HD to grab the bandwidth.

#11 OFFLINE   mikewsu

mikewsu

AllStar

• Registered
  • 70 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 06:50 PM

We bought it last year for the first time. We took off work and watched the entire coverage (good way to spend a two Thursday/Fridays). I think there was only a couple glitches during the entire coverage.

One annoyance: If you are on the Mix channel and you try to browse directly to a game (that is also on your local CBS) then you get sent to the "Channel not purchased" (blacked-out) message. Hard to actually utilize the mix channel when you run into that all the time. Seems like an obvious fix to me. The other 'special' features/channels (bracket storage, updates, etc) are slow and usually not updated very timely.

#12 OFFLINE   iceturkee

iceturkee

DINFOS Trained Killer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,177 posts
  • Locationdaytona beach, fl

Posted 03 February 2009 - 06:52 AM

saw an ad on the active channel this morning, looks like the price for MMM is $69.

#13 OFFLINE   jefbal99

jefbal99

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,838 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 07:59 AM

One annoyance: If you are on the Mix channel and you try to browse directly to a game (that is also on your local CBS) then you get sent to the "Channel not purchased" (blacked-out) message. Hard to actually utilize the mix channel when you run into that all the time. Seems like an obvious fix to me. The other 'special' features/channels (bracket storage, updates, etc) are slow and usually not updated very timely.

Weird, I got sent to my local channel
Receiving Equipment: AU9 Slimline w/Zinwell WB68 & SWM 8 | Winegard MS-2000 w/PS-1503 Power Injector
Living Room: HR22-100 w/AM-21 | Samsung HL-S4266W (HDMI) | Ethernet MRV | Pioneer HTS-GS1 5.1 | Yamaha DV-S6160 (Component/Digital Coaxial)
Bedroom: H21-200 w/AM-21 | Westinghouse LVM-42w2 (HDMI) | Ethernet MRV
Home Theatre: HR20-100 | Sanyo PLV-Z60 (Component/Optical) | Flexio 16:9 100" Screen | Ethernet MRV |Yamaha YHT-690 | XBox 360 (Component) | Harmony 880

#14 OFFLINE   Red Dog

Red Dog

Godfather

• Registered
  • 411 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 08:22 AM

The opening Thursday afternoon was true madness last year. I remember them (although it was more likely CBS' fault) losing feeds and such last year for some time. Once they got the kinks out, it worked well.

The biggest problem they have is that if your local affiliate switches to another game, you are shut out of that game (since the MMM feed is blacked out based on the local assignment) although I believe it still appears in the Mix channel.

I reallly wish they made the windows on the mix channel much bigger (too must wasted space), but that's probably a pipe dream. I generally make my own 'mix' channel anyhow by splitting my big screen and using 2 other TVs.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...