Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

PBS HD Roll Out Schedule

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Azdeadwood

Azdeadwood

Legend

• Registered
  • 244 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 02:15 PM

Does anyone have any kind of indication when Directv plans to roll out PBS HD in specific markets?

I would a least like to know if Albuquerque's PBS HD will ever get turned on.

This is mainly a "Should I stay with Directv or switch to Dish?" kind of question. For the shows I watch, I can go with either one but my preference would be the one that had PBS in HD.

Hr21-100 / LG 60" Plasma 1080p
HR21-200 /Samsung 40" LCD HDTV 1080p - Component & Vizio 24" LCD HDTV 1080P - HDMI. (2 room setup with 2 RF controls)
HR20-700 / Samsung 55" LCD HDTV 1080P (HDMI) & Viewsonic 22" LCD HDTV 1080i (component) - Viewsonic also used as PC Monitor.

Directv since 2006

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Ed Campbell

Ed Campbell

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 11:00 PM

Last time I heard from the KNME station manager he thought January was to be the month.

KNME is getting their HD content halfway back up to speed - we're starting to see it OTA. But, not yet the peak quantity they had last year when they were passing through more national stuff.

#3 OFFLINE   Azdeadwood

Azdeadwood

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 244 posts

Posted 31 January 2009 - 06:49 AM

Last time I heard from the KNME station manager he thought January was to be the month.

KNME is getting their HD content halfway back up to speed - we're starting to see it OTA. But, not yet the peak quantity they had last year when they were passing through more national stuff.

Well February would be good, obviously it we missed January. I can't get the OTA since I live in Las Vegas, New Mexico (not Nevada for those that don't know about the original Las Vegas in Northeastern New Mexico).

I just wish Directv would give us some sort of time frame for the PBS HD transitions like they did with other traditional Networks.

HR21-200 /Samsung 40" LCD HDTV 1080p - Component & Vizio 24" LCD HDTV 1080P - HDMI. (2 room setup with 2 RF controls)
HR20-700 / Samsung 55" LCD HDTV 1080P (HDMI) & Viewsonic 22" LCD HDTV 1080i (component) - Viewsonic also used as PC Monitor.

Directv since 2006

#4 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,697 posts

Posted 31 January 2009 - 08:25 AM

I agree it would be nice to know their plans, but I am sure they won't tell us anything until the specific channels are live on D*. I am also waiting for my local PBS station (WITF-DT) to get on D*.
HD Snob - "Friends Don't Let Friends Watch Cable".
Electrical/RF Engineer & Inspector
DirecTV Equipment: HR24-200, HR24-100, 5LNB Slimline, AM21, SWiM 8 installed (MRV)
HR-2x Configuration: Native OFF. Units OFF when not in use.
TVs: 2 Panasonic Plasma TV's each using HDMI (one 1080p/one 720p)
DirecTV customer since 1998. Plus HD DVR package w/ NHL Center Ice & MLB Extra Innings.
OTA Antenna: Homebrew UHF & VHF antennas w/ 30dB amplifier fed w/ RG-6 Quad-shield coax.

#5 OFFLINE   R0am3r

R0am3r

Legend

• Registered
  • 153 posts

Posted 31 January 2009 - 08:54 AM

Directv reminds me of the local cable company in my area - Time Warner Cable. They refuse to tell their customers anything about upcoming changes and customers are left to discover new channels on their own. A simple schedule from D* would certainly suffice for the folks who pay the bills!

#6 OFFLINE   myselfalso

myselfalso

Godfather

• Registered
  • 385 posts

Posted 31 January 2009 - 10:35 AM

Directv reminds me of the local cable company in my area - Time Warner Cable. They refuse to tell their customers anything about upcoming changes and customers are left to discover new channels on their own. A simple schedule from D* would certainly suffice for the folks who pay the bills!

Problem with making announcements like that is what if it falls through at the last minute. Then you have an audience waiting for something to happen, only to be told its not.

I want to know when WITF is coming as much as anyone wants to know what channels are coming to DirecTV, but the fact that they told us that we're getting PBS is a good start. It'd be nice to have more than a vague idea of when things are coming along.

It does make you wonder though. They made the PBS announcement a while back...why would it be taking so long? What's the technical (or business) issues that slow down the process?
I have been a DirecTV subscriber since 2005.

A few channels I'd still like to see DirecTV add are:
CSPAN3, the PAC-12 Network(s), BBC World and more international news channels.

#7 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 31 January 2009 - 01:00 PM

I live in Las Vegas, New Mexico

Posted Image

Wolverines!

#8 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,824 posts

Posted 31 January 2009 - 01:07 PM

Wolverines!

Didn't that take place in Colorado? :grin:

I have been waiting for CPTV since the PBS agreement was announced.

I'm hoping to hear something soon. It could be ten months away and it wouldn't be so bad if they would just give some sort of schedule.

Still waiting. :rolleyes:

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#9 OFFLINE   LameLefty

LameLefty

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,043 posts

Posted 31 January 2009 - 01:43 PM

Place holder test feeds for not just one but TWO PBS locals are up on a spotbeam here (plus the CW and MyNetwork affiliates) and they have been since early November. Still not live. :rolleyes:

"Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!"
Directv since 1997
Will Work for Beer

#10 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 31 January 2009 - 01:58 PM

Didn't that take place in Colorado? :grin:

That's where the script said it was, yes. The filming, however, was done in Las Vegas, NM.

#11 OFFLINE   Azdeadwood

Azdeadwood

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 244 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 07:55 AM

That's where the script said it was, yes. The filming, however, was done in Las Vegas, NM.

We have a lot of movies filmed here. Most recently "Beer for My Horses" but the most famous movie of recent note was "No Country for Old Men". The crash scene at the end of the movie was filmed around the corner from my house.

Now back to topic:

PBS HD roll out Schedule. I would be happy with estimates!

Directv since 2006

#12 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,697 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 12:00 PM

Supposedly the local PBS (WITF) and CW (WLYH) stations have been on Test channels for several months at 103(s) trans. 15. Not sure why they've been 'testing' those 2 for so long and haven't turned them on for us unless they're having problems.
HD Snob - "Friends Don't Let Friends Watch Cable".
Electrical/RF Engineer & Inspector
DirecTV Equipment: HR24-200, HR24-100, 5LNB Slimline, AM21, SWiM 8 installed (MRV)
HR-2x Configuration: Native OFF. Units OFF when not in use.
TVs: 2 Panasonic Plasma TV's each using HDMI (one 1080p/one 720p)
DirecTV customer since 1998. Plus HD DVR package w/ NHL Center Ice & MLB Extra Innings.
OTA Antenna: Homebrew UHF & VHF antennas w/ 30dB amplifier fed w/ RG-6 Quad-shield coax.

#13 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,410 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 02 February 2009 - 12:08 PM

The roll-out was announced on December 19, 2007 and was to commence in 2008. They did what they said and on the announced timeline. Where it goes from here has not even been hinted at a year later.

#14 OFFLINE   Piratefan98

Piratefan98

Icon

• Registered
  • 685 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 03:18 PM

The roll-out was announced on December 19, 2007 and was to commence in 2008. They did what they said and on the announced timeline. Where it goes from here has not even been hinted at a year later.

Right. And if it takes them 42 years to complete the roll-out, they still will have done what they said they would do. Very similiar to the "up to" xx channels, and having the "capability" to deliver, etc. etc. They can do no wrong. :lol:

#15 OFFLINE   Azdeadwood

Azdeadwood

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 244 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 04:45 PM

Right. And if it takes them 42 years to complete the roll-out, they still will have done what they said they would do. Very similiar to the "up to" xx channels, and having the "capability" to deliver, etc. etc. They can do no wrong. :lol:

Gosh, I never thought of it that way before. You're right I was all excited when they promised up to 150 channels in HD back in 2006

SO I shouldn't be angry that they haven't fulfilled there promises - yet. It may still occur in my lifetime - 42 years would make it just in time for my 100th birthday!

Directv since 2006

spam firewall