Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Upcoming Hollywood remakes !

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Jimmy 440

Jimmy 440

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,666 posts
  • LocationMonmouth County NJ

Posted 31 January 2009 - 04:17 PM

http://www.comcast.n...ent-remakes/10/

Why can't Hollywood come up with something original ?
Why do they have to remake Back to School,The Karate Kid and Hellraiser to name a few ? I also heard Jaws was coming too but they didn't mention it here.

Have the writers lost their creative thinking ? :confused:

JIMMY

DirecTv 1999
Olevia 42" HD
HR22-100
--------------------
NHL CI
MLB EI

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 31 January 2009 - 06:47 PM

http://www.comcast.n...ent-remakes/10/

Why can't Hollywood come up with something original ?
Why do they have to remake Back to School,The Karate Kid and Hellraiser to name a few ? I also heard Jaws was coming too but they didn't mention it here.

Have the writers lost their creative thinking ? :confused:

It isn't the writers; it's the studios. Hollywood studios aren't filmmakers; they're investment and marketing firms. They expect to make a profit off of every movie, so they tend to greenlight only very familiar scripts. And, to an extent, it works; people actually spend money to see these remakes.

But all of the fresh ideas come from independent filmmakers, who manage to cobble together a movie on a tiny budget and, only once it's complete and getting good reactions at film festivals (and has a low, fixed cost), does it have a chance of major-studio distribution.

Think Clerks (Kevin Smith), Reservoir Dogs (Tarantino), El Mariachi (Robert Rodriguez), or even Juno (Diablo Cody).

The problem is that when these independents do well, they tend to get gobbled up by Hollywood, and before long, they fall into the same Hollywood "safe" formulas.

#3 OFFLINE   xIsamuTM

xIsamuTM

Icon

• Registered
  • 567 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 12:38 PM

And yet Spirited Away did so good that it was re-released in theatres after it won best animated feature. the only time that has happened with a Buena Vista release and it was anime.
The lack of original plot and risk taking is really why I've stopped watching movies. In the past decade I've only been pleasently surprised a small handfull of times. Finding Nemo, Shrek (only the first one) Wal-E, The Matrix (again, first one only.)
Here I am! Rock you like a Hadoken!!

#4 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,419 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 01:10 PM

Do the studios even care about quality scripts anymore? Shame, shame, shame.

#5 OFFLINE   Jimmy 440

Jimmy 440

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,666 posts
  • LocationMonmouth County NJ

Posted 04 February 2009 - 11:57 AM

http://www.nhl.com/i...s.htm?id=407722

Add "Slap Shot" to the growing list.

JIMMY

DirecTv 1999
Olevia 42" HD
HR22-100
--------------------
NHL CI
MLB EI

#6 OFFLINE   Grentz

Grentz

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,916 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 12:18 PM

Wow, a list of 10 movies I have no interest in seeing again or a remake of :P
-Grentz
Subscriber since Oct. 1996
HR21-700, HR22-100, H24-100 (SWM)
~Detailed Setup~

Directv Signal Strength Posting Tool - Excel Ver. Web Ver.

#7 OFFLINE   machavez00

machavez00

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,646 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, Arizona

Posted 04 February 2009 - 12:31 PM

Of the ten listed, nine are remakes ("re imaging"?) one is going to be a sequel.
Posted Image
I'm still waiting for the idiot that green lights My Mother the Car starring Drew Carey

Word has it Madonna wants to do a remake of Casablanca and have it set in Baghdad.

#8 OFFLINE   paulman182

paulman182

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,838 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 12:42 PM

And yet Spirited Away did so good that it was re-released in theatres after it won best animated feature. the only time that has happened with a Buena Vista release and it was anime.
The lack of original plot and risk taking is really why I've stopped watching movies. In the past decade I've only been pleasently surprised a small handfull of times. Finding Nemo, Shrek (only the first one) Wal-E, The Matrix (again, first one only.)

The movies you named were big studio releases, and for the most part the big studio releases never have been known for original plots or risk taking.

Most of those movies scheduled to be remade were rated only so-so by critics when they were released, although they were financially successful.

I enjoy all kinds of movies--big, small, good, bad, old, new--but the most thought-provoking ones are usually found on IFC or the Sundance Channel.

#9 OFFLINE   Draconis

Draconis

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,411 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas, NV

Posted 13 February 2009 - 08:38 PM

I was perfectly content with the original "Short Circuit" and "Evil Dead" (at least they are bringing Campbell back for the "Evil Dead" remake).

In a related note, "Escape to Witch Mountain" HAS been redone as "Race to Witch Mountain" and will be releasing next month.

They are even making a "Land of the Lost" movie.

#10 OFFLINE   Steve615

Steve615

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,482 posts
  • LocationMiddle TN area

Posted 13 February 2009 - 09:02 PM

They are even making a "Land of the Lost" movie.

That is correct. :)

http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=151401

Steve

Protected By... spam firewall...And...